PDA

View Full Version : Any straight shaft trimmers that rotate clockwise?

Goetso
03-30-2010, 03:20 AM
I feel kinda stupid asking this, but I can not for the life of me do a good trim job with the straight shaft echo srm 225 I have. I have a little echo gt 200 curved shaft or something like that, and I am able to do an awesome job and be very fast with that one. I dont know if its because im 6'5", or left handed, or what. It does seem like the straight shafts need to be longer for me though. The curved ones I can overcome the shortness better for what ever the reason. I like to trim from left to right. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

LALawnboy
03-30-2010, 03:27 AM
I like to trim from left to right. Any suggestions would be great

That's one of your main problems right there. I understand where you're coming from because when I first started out, all I had was a curved shaft homelite. The only straight shaft trimmers that I know of that spin clockwise are homelites, and they may have changed this. It's awkward learning a new way to trim when you have done it a certain way for years. I'm right handed, so I have my right hand on the throttle, left hand on the handle and work from right to left. Take your time and you'll get the hang of it.

topsites
03-30-2010, 03:34 AM
It's in the tilt of the head, whether the right or the left side of the string does most of the cutting...

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 04:48 AM
You mean clockwise as you're looking DOWN on it?!!?

I thought all straight shaft trimmers turned clockwise. :confused:

Alan0354
03-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Seem like the cheap one turn one way and the commercial turn the other!!! Troybilt turn the opposite from Shindy and Honda.

My theory is if you are right handed, the commercial ones make the crap fly back to you to avoid law suits, the home owner one don't care, you are in your own yard!!!:laugh::laugh:

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 05:03 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I like to walk backwards when trimming up against a fence or a wall.

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I like to walk backwards when trimming up against a fence or a wall.

Same here. I am much smoother going backwards.

Richard Martin
03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Straight shaft trimmers use a gear box to get the trimmer head even with the ground. Curved shaft trimmers don't need the gear box. All of these engines spin in the same direction. If one has a gear box the gears will reverse the way the trimmer head rotates. That's why straight shafts spin counter clockwise and curved shafts spin clockwise.

You can get a straight shaft to spin clockwise but it would require another gear in the gear box.

WholeSaleSteve
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
You might want to look at the Tanaka line of trimmers. They have an extended shaft model that is made for tall folks. Model #TBC260PFL It has a 2 year commercial warranty and a 7 year homeowner warranty. Very nice unitt and perfect for anyone alittle taller. Good luck!

ElephantNest
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Homelite, at least they used to years ago.

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Just wrap the pull cord the other way on the engine and be done.