PDA

View Full Version : What is the best /weedeater/line trimmer/string trimmer/ on the face of the earth?

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 06:15 AM
If money were no object, what would you have?

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 06:32 AM
The cheapest and longest lasting I could find! Ill let you know when I find it!

That being said, I have been using some orange stuff on large spools from Home Depot. The last roll I purchased I got on clearance because they were getting rid of the summer stuff. I cant remember the name but its orange and square and seems to last a while as long as I'm not trimming chain link fences.

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 06:39 AM
The cheapest and longest lasting I could find! Ill let you know when I find it!

That being said, I have been using some orange stuff on large spools from Home Depot. The last roll I purchased I got on clearance because they were getting rid of the summer stuff. I cant remember the name but its orange and square and seems to last a while as long as I'm not trimming chain link fences.

Ugh!! I didn't mean trimmer string; I meant string trimmer!!

For the life of me, I can't seem to run a successful string trimmer thread. I probably should just give up. :(

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Ugh!! I didn't mean trimmer string; I meant string trimmer!!

For the life of me, I can't seem to run a successful string trimmer thread. I probably should just give up. :(

Well I can answer that one too. I personally like using the Stihl 4 Mix because they are easy to start and powerful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I've seen trimmer threads go 6 or 7 pages; with mine, I'm doing good if I get 3 posts.

I should just ask somebody else to start a trimmer thread for me. :(

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Maybe you are not popular enough?
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't care about being popular, I just want to hear some conversation about string trimmers. I was hoping to get the guys that call them "weedeaters" to chime in - that's why I put "weedeater" in the thread title ...

SNAPPER MAN
03-30-2010, 08:24 AM
I personally like the Stihl FS-80R. But unfortunately they are discontinuing the model because of the communist, liberal nut jobs who think 2 cycles are causing global warming. I personally hate Stihl 4-mix. I had a FS-100RX that the bearing seized up in it after only one year of use. I should be able to get at least three years out of my trimmers. Stihl true 2-strokes are where its at.

The_Duk
03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
it's cause nobody calls them string trimmers, they are weedeaters... at least in texas they are... i can say that i've NEVER in my whole life heard someone use the words string trimmer in a sentence... lol...

i have an echo and and sthil love them both....

lawnkingforever
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I like Echo trimmers, but you really can not go wrong with any of the good commercial brands. These trimmer threads all get beat to death over and over again.

Landscraper1
03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
SHINDAIWA, hands down. Pick a model, they are all great!!!

Duk, I guess YOU haven't been in the business too long. Originally they were called "grass trimmers" or "string trimmers". Weedeater was an actual brand name of grass trimmers. The name just caught on where everyone uses it now. Its like "Kleenex" is for facial tissue, "Bobcat" is for a skid steer loader or "Q-tip" is a cotton swab.
If your coming on a thread to poke fun then, at least know what your talking about.:laugh:

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
These trimmer threads all get beat to death over and over again.

I love trimmer threads!! You can never have too many trimmer threads!! :clapping:

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Stihl is the way to go

jbt79
03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Stihl 4-mix Very powerful and starts first pull everytime. I can run as fast as I can with it doing a fence line or something and just rips through everything. I have the FS 110R. Brushcutter attatchment works well on it too.

Sammy
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Duk, I guess YOU haven't been in the business too long. Originally they were called "grass trimmers" or "string trimmers". Weedeater was an actual brand name of grass trimmers. ........................
If your coming on a thread to poke fun then, at least know what your talking about.:laugh:

They were "Weedeater" first.

The string trimmer was introduced in the early 1970's by George Ballas of Houston, Texas. He got the idea while taking his car through an automatic wash and watching the revolving action of the cleaning brushes. He attached pieces of heavy-duty fishing line to an empty popcorn can bolted to an edger. From this he went on to develop his string trimmer called "Weed Eater" because of the way it chewed up grass and weeds around trees

Richard Martin
03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
They were "Weedeater" first.

The string trimmer was introduced in the early 1970's by George Ballas of Houston, Texas. He got the idea while taking his car through an automatic wash and watching the revolving action of the cleaning brushes. He attached pieces of heavy-duty fishing line to an empty popcorn can bolted to an edger. From this he went on to develop his string trimmer called "Weed Eater" because of the way it chewed up grass and weeds around trees

As an addendum to what Sammy Sez :), plagerism isn't your strong suit by the way (wikipedia), the term Weed Eater is a brand name of Poulan. They are actually all string trimmers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_trimmer

The_Duk
03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Duk, I guess YOU haven't been in the business too long. Originally they were called "grass trimmers" or "string trimmers". Weedeater was an actual brand name of grass trimmers. The name just caught on where everyone uses it now. Its like "Kleenex" is for facial tissue, "Bobcat" is for a skid steer loader or "Q-tip" is a cotton swab.

oh man you got me... i got slammed on a forum... :cry:

lol.. i meant no harm.

thanks for the "string trimmer" history lesson. they don't teach that in Texas schools.

Cboy7
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
REDMAX.

Stihl 4mix weedeaters are a joke

Mow'n'Blow21
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I swear by the Echo, but like others say, you probably can't go wrong with any of the top brands.

smalltime lawn guy
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I love my new stihl fs90R with the 4 mix! This is my first professional grade trimmer so take it for what it's worth.

Merkava_4
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Please explain why ... I'd appreciate the information. :)

Lbilawncare
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
REDMAX.

So true ! Run them both and you will understand. I agree the old 2-cycle Stihl trimmers were great.

GlynnC
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Since I have more string trimmers (weedeaters) than I can count, I'm not sure there is a "best" trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa 270 that I traded an hours work for--it's rock solid, but heavy. It came from commercial crew that uses and abuses equip. Worked on several more--they are tough!

Just bought a new Kawasaki KGT27A as my own personal trimmer--hands off is the word when we go out. Bought it because one of the guys that I maintain equip. for has some that I know are on there 4th or 5th year--could be longer, they have thousands of hours on them, are light weight, and strong enough for anything I get into.

Maintain equip for another guy who uses RedMax. Previously he ran Shin 270 but got tired of the weight. The older RedMax's were great--newer ones come to me for repair more often than they should. He mostly runs the 2301 and 2401.

All this said, today I would vote for the Kaw KGT27A.

Haven't used or worked on Stihls--no opinion! RedMax and Shindaiwa rule the trade around here, beginning to see a few more Stihls on trailers.

bobcat48
03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I like echo trimmers.

05 superduty
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Anything but redmax. The throttle levers are flimsy and they're built like crap. I only run the high torque echos and they're great, srm 261t, unless u want the attachments then i'd go with the stihl fs-80 or 85.

ed2hess
03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=GlynnC;3497510]Since I have more string trimmers (weedeaters) than I can count, I'm not sure there is a "best" trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa 270 that I traded an hours work for--it's rock solid, but heavy. It came from commercial crew that uses and abuses equip. Worked on several more--they are tough!
QUOTE]

I use a lot of Echo stuff 2500 in particular but I agree 100% that the 270 Shindaiwa was the best trimmer ever made. It was a heavy dud but it still hangs in our shop and I bet I could get it started and going if I wanted to.

Alan0354
03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
I don't care about being popular, I just want to hear some conversation about string trimmers. I was hoping to get the guys that call them "weedeaters" to chime in - that's why I put "weedeater" in the thread title ...

I post to you twice already, I don't think you'll be happy with just one. You need two, just like me. There is no one that fit all. You need a he man big dude and a pizzy little dude, then you'll be happy.

I think you break my record in asking about trimmer at this point, and the advice is from one OCD to the other OCD!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::drinkup:

Merkava_4
03-31-2010, 06:39 AM
I post to you twice already, I don't think you'll be happy with just one. You need two, just like me. There is no one that fit all. You need a he man big dude and a pizzy little dude, then you'll be happy.

I think you break my record in asking about trimmer at this point, and the advice is from one OCD to the other OCD!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::drinkup:

All these string trimmers are designed by short people it seems like.

In today's world, if you're short and use a string trimmer, you've got the advantage.

taterlawn
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
You are right about the midget weedeaters and yes I said weedeater . I will use nothing but husqvarna I have one that has been through hell. Its been used for 10 years commercially everyday and runs like it is new, I am not knocking any other brand, all I am saying is that I use Husqvarna everything and never had trouble with any of it.

cgaengineer
03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Please explain why ... I'd appreciate the information. :)

Me too, mine have never failed to start.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
It's all a matter of personal preference. When practical and available I prefer a 4 stroke engine over a 2 stroke engine. To me a 4 stroke engine is more of a work engine and a 2 stroke engine is more of a performance engine.

That said, I prefer the Honda 4 stroke trimmer over a comparable 2 stroke trimmer for the following reasons:

1 No gas and oil to mix.

2 Better fuel economy

3 Quieter

4 Lower emissions

5 Less vibration

6 Easier starting

7 More torque at low RPM's means less fuel used, tall grass trimmed at partial throttle, less debris kicking up,quieter operation.

8 The Honda 4 stroke trimmer can be operated and stored in any position just like a 2 stroke.

I have used both a 2 stroke trimmer and the Honda 4 stroke trimmer, I prefer the Honda, but that is me, you should demo several makes and models to reach a decision.

Info on the Honda trimmer I own in below link.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail§ion=P2TB&modelname=HHT35SLTAT&modelid=HHT35SLTAT

DoetschOutdoor
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Gatorline .095 or .105 is definately the hands down best.

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Where is the face of the Earth? I want to take a picture.

rob7233
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Since I have more string trimmers (weedeaters) than I can count, I'm not sure there is a "best" trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa 270 that I traded an hours work for--it's rock solid, but heavy. It came from commercial crew that uses and abuses equip. Worked on several more--they are tough!

Just bought a new Kawasaki KGT27A as my own personal trimmer--hands off is the word when we go out. Bought it because one of the guys that I maintain equip. for has some that I know are on there 4th or 5th year--could be longer, they have thousands of hours on them, are light weight, and strong enough for anything I get into.

Maintain equip for another guy who uses RedMax. Previously he ran Shin 270 but got tired of the weight. The older RedMax's were great--newer ones come to me for repair more often than they should. He mostly runs the 2301 and 2401.

All this said, today I would vote for the Kaw KGT27A.

Haven't used or worked on Stihls--no opinion! RedMax and Shindaiwa rule the trade around here, beginning to see a few more Stihls on trailers.

Being a big Shindaiwa fan, the T270 with the loop handle was legendary in it's power to weight ratio. However, I had a friend turn me on to the Kawasaki KGT27A with the SpeedFeed head and that was the perfect combo right there. Grab a KGT27A if you can still get one! The Kaw KGT27B are not the same. I've tried the Stihl 2 cycle trimmers and they seem to have a lot of torque for their size but not the smoothness and refinement of the Shindaiwa IMHO.