PDA

View Full Version : Newbie intro and a sharpener question

mhowle
03-30-2010, 07:30 AM
First let me compliment this forum and entire site. I'm a new member but long time lurker. I'm just an average homeowner that likes nice equipment and a stickler on preventive maint.

I have a 60" and 52" Commercial ZMaster and up to this point have been purchasing new OEM blades every ~20 hrs cut time for the past 2 years. I probably mow more than the average homeowner and now have quite the collection of blade sets.

Now my question:
Is the Magna-Matic 9000 w/balancer/stand/table the set up for me to bring these blades back in service? I want something that works and works right for the long haul.

Ps.. I noticed the Mag forum has not been to active since 12/09... not that means anything... just an observation.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

EcoGreen Services
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
20 hours !
Wow, that would bankrupt me, I'd be buying 2 sets a day.

We get at least 400-500 hours out of a set of blades. All blades are checked each morning & touched up every second or third day.

A spare set is always on hand for each machine.

We've always used a bench grinder with a homemade angle jig and well as the file and stone method.

DiyDave
03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
mhowle, I suggest you search the site, for this subject, every spring this topic gets done to death. Don't mean to be rude, or inconsiderate, just been here a while. You can get the same sharpening results with a lesco blade grinder and a nail into the wall, for balance checking.:waving:

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
sorry Dave but a nail in the wall isn't going to be no where near as accurate as a bearing balancer.

DiyDave
03-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Again it starts! Sorry I pushed the button, but I also smile at the monkeys in the ape house, at the zoo!:laugh::laugh::waving:

Richard Martin
03-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Again it starts! Sorry I pushed the button, but I also smile at the monkeys in the ape house, at the zoo!:laugh::laugh::waving:

It starts because you gave bad advice. Nails are good for nothing except holding boards together. Break down, spend 5 dollars and buy a bearing.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/th_DSCN0198.jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCN0198.flv)

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
LOL...... it's ok.

mhowle
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
20 hours !

We get at least 400-500 hours out of a set of blades. All blades are checked each morning & touched up every second or third day.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for possibly starting another sharpener war... but let me explain:

I don't trash the blades after 20 hours or so. After reading somewhere (I think this site) that most people sharpen their blades after 12-15 hrs cut time I decided to just replace blades and build up a stock pile then after I have 6 sets for each mower purchase a GOOD sharpener/balancer to bring the blades back in service. I feel with proper sharpening this "stockpile" will last me a few years without having to purchase any more plus spend a rainy afternoon sharpening and I'll have fresh spares on hand for the season.

Thanks again,
Mike

Green Feet Lawn
03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
You have stockpiled 6 sets in a couple years. I would probably send them out to be sharpened. Sharpen 6 sets a few dollars per blade and will last another couple years. Just make sure the shop you use, sharpen and balances.

dwost
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the forums! I too am an obsessed homeowner and dropped the $$ last year on the 9000 service station with stand, balancer, etc... One of the best investments I've made. You will not be sorry and it will last you a lifetime. Do a search and you will have tons of information at you disposal.

betmr
03-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I have almost always used an Angle Grinder by hand. I find it much faster, and easier to balance blades. We have a Neary, but it takes so long & I have better things to do.

ashgrove landscaping
03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I use an angle grinder and don't balance. Never any problems with spindles or anything else. I've done this way for 11 years. Sharpening your blades doesn't take that long. 20 minutes in the morning every other day and you re cutting clean most of the time. But if you want to spend the money, I'm sure those grinders are pretty slick. I ve never used one. I'm just cheap about things that are not going to make me money and I use blades until the ends are about 1/2 inch wide. So far so good.

1993lx172
03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Doesn't anyone use just a simple bench grinder anymore? You buy a new set every 20 cutting hours? My mower is only on its first replacement set in its 19 years! And that's only because I didn't see a 5lb dumbbell in some tall grass in time on a one time yard. You can sharpen the things and have them last a few years.

How thick is the metal on your (and this is to everybody) blades? Watching Rich's clip they look like their real thin, mine are about an 1/8". I've compared them to some off a commercial unit and noticed mine have a bit more to them, maybe that's why mine last as long as they do (both in wear and in holding their edge)

Richard Martin
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Watching Rich's clip they look like their real thin, mine are about an 1/8".

They're .210"

http://www.landscaperpro.com/2012with58centerholebladelp20-0623.aspx

1/8" equals .125".

1993lx172
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
They're .210"

http://www.landscaperpro.com/2012with58centerholebladelp20-0623.aspx

1/8" equals .125".

That's why I said about, I'll get an accurate measurement (I was just looking at a ruler and making an educated guess on what I remembered they looked like) when I get home Friday afternoon.

Cboy7
03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
20 hours !

2 sets a day at 20 hours each. lets see.. you must have a magical 40 hour day on your planet!
wow ! finish your 40 hrs in one day and have off the rest of the week! woohoo!

Sammy
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Angle grinder and a round shank screw driver.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
2 sets a day at 20 hours each. lets see.. you must have a magical 40 hour day on your planet!
wow ! finish your 40 hrs in one day and have off the rest of the week! woohoo!

You beat me to it... I was going to call "lawnsite exaggeration of the week", but I was too late:)