PDA

View Full Version : can someone i.d. this??

bubble boy
06-24-2002, 02:41 PM
hope this pic comes up...

this "disease" has been found on three of our props.

almost like bubbles, on the blade of grass, in a circular fashion about 6 inches in diameter. its not dust-like, that is when you touch it it smears. purple in colour.

my biz partner couldn't recall it offhand, so went to the books and couldn't find it.

can anyone help here?

bubble boy
06-24-2002, 02:58 PM
well, the pic didnt work. do i not just click browse, then click the pic on my hard drive and then click post message?

:confused:

perhaps someone will know from the description alone

Green Sweep
06-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Sounds like it could be Slime Mold ?

Rob

Scraper
06-24-2002, 04:51 PM
Don't think it'd be slime mold as that is more common in mulches. Not sure about your climate, but would it be too late for an outbreak of snow mold? Down here the threat has passed. Not that we'd have a threat as I forgt what snow looks like after this past season.

bubble boy
06-25-2002, 08:47 AM
we were thinking snow mold, just didn't match the pics we've seen, and never really seen it up close before (haven't been spraying all that long)

any other theories?

thanks for the input:cool:

MATTHEW
06-25-2002, 08:29 PM
If it were march, I would say possibly grey snow mold, as pustules will form. But June. No way. You said it was not powder like, which slime mold resembles, but you might take a second look. This is the time of year for it.

Scraper
06-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by MATTHEW
If it were march, I would say possibly grey snow mold, as pustules will form. But June. No way. You said it was not powder like, which slime mold resembles, but you might take a second look. This is the time of year for it.

Matthew...You need to take into consideration he is in North Toronto Canada, not Ohio. They get snow up there in April and even May. Entirely different climate from ours.

morturf
06-26-2002, 06:10 PM
I Believe that this would be smut. It is rears its head when it has been moist and mild. If you track thru it with a mower or spreader you will notice that it will show up where the tracks went. When the conditions change it will go away.....I have never seen it bad enough to hurt the grass doesn't mean it won't.
have a look at this....maybe it will help.

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/hgic/diagn/lawns/striped_smut.html

Mike

MATTHEW
06-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Good point, scraper. I figured since he posted now, it was a current problem. Snow mold would have been there for a while.

grassguy_
06-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Sounds like slime mold in the patches you are describing. Especially with any moisture and warm conditions the little stuff seems to form in no time. Greasy texture when you poull off fromt he blade and usually has a purplish cast to it. I've seen it a number of times this spring as well. There are lots of molds common to mulch bed areas too, but slime mold is definitely a noticeable turf nuisnace at times too.

WatkinsLawn
07-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Bubble boy

-grass man is right.
This is a classic discription of slime mold.
Its more of a cosmetic problem. Damage to the turf is very unusual.

WatkinsLawn
07-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Sorry - I meant to say grassguy is right.