PDA

View Full Version : Spindles dragging on trailer ramp

ShooterK2
03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a 6 1/2 x 16 landscape trailer with 4 ft. walls and gate. I bought my first ZTR yesterday ('06 Cub Cadet 48" Z-Wing) and love the mower so far, but it hangs up on the spindles at the top of the trailer ramp. I can back up to a curb and unload and it's fine (no rubbing), but I won't always be able to do this. Anyone else ever have this happen? Suggestions on a solution?

whosedog
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
You might have to have an extension welded onto the gate,it worked for mine.Or if possible can the gate hinges be reversed,put underneath?

tallimeca
03-30-2010, 10:58 AM
check your hitch angle......you might be able to elevate it a bit. If not, lengthen your tailgate. You will damage the deck and cutters.

This problem is seen more so on stand on units because you can't just tilt them back like walk behinds. Usually on guys with tailgates that a too short.

ShooterK2
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I thought about extending the tailgate, but then the extension would stick up higher than the rest of the trailer walls when in the "up" position. I don't guess it will hurt anything though.

ShooterK2
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh, and as for the hitch angle, I considered that, but it's already got the trailer tilted back slightly. I don't think I want to go any higher.

TimsLawnCareVA
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Maybe try backing it on the trailer. It may help.

carrier_joshua
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
just throw a piece of 2x4 under the end of the ramp, untill you can get it extended.

JeffNY
03-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Our mowers hit the hinges on the ramp, same size trailer. We've lived with it for 2 years now, but this year I think im going to extend the gate 10-12". Im just afraid it will be too heavy to lift after.

whosedog
03-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Our mowers hit the hinges on the ramp, same size trailer. We've lived with it for 2 years now, but this year I think im going to extend the gate 10-12". Im just afraid it will be too heavy to lift after.

Then you add the lift assist kit(2 big springs) works great.

JeffNY
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Then you add the lift assist kit(2 big springs) works great.

Good idea.

WholeSaleSteve
03-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Rather than exten have a welding shop weld a "foot" so to speak under the up of the ramp to adjust the angle. The deck will be a couple of inches or so off the ground and not flush but the mower will go over 2-3"s no problem and then up the ramp. In my opinion its cheaper than extending the ramp itself and the longer the ramp the heavier it will be and more prone to bending.

Just my thoughts =) Goodluck! Congrats on your new mower!

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes have a piece of 2 inch square tube welded to the gate where it hits the road. Then you don't have to worry about skate boarder hitting your trailer like a ramp.

WholeSaleSteve
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Unknown...lol!!!! I love the image I get of that!! haha

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
You could add a small piece of 2x6 as a plate that will lay in the path of the tires on each side so when the front casters ride up on them it will allow for more clearance on the spindles. Bevel both ends with a circular saw and screw them in place. You'll have to find the exact place to put them so you'll need to pull the mower up until the spindles touch then park it there and mark where the 2x6 piece needs to be placed so that they're under the front caster at that point when pulling the mower up on the trailer. It might be 10 inches from the back of the trailer or it could be 5 inches. You'll have to mock it up to get it right. Hope that is clear enough that you understand what I mean.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
You could add a small piece of 2x6 as a plate that will lay in the path of the tires on each side so when the front casters ride up on them it will allow for more clearance on the spindles. Bevel both ends with a circular saw and screw them in place. You'll have to find the exact place to put them so you'll need to pull the mower up until the spindles touch then park it there and mark where the 2x6 piece needs to be placed so that they're under the front caster at that point when pulling the mower up on the trailer. It might be 10 inches from the back of the trailer or it could be 5 inches. You'll have to mock it up to get it right. Hope that is clear enough that you understand what I mean.

This would put the weight closer to the pivot point in thus not creating such a heavy load to lift as opposed to adding the weight furthest from pivot point. Good idea but looks kinda tacky IMO.

trooper8870
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
We had the same issue with the last trailer we purchased. We just had a 12" extension added and the problem was solved, but you will absolutely need a lift assist mechanism.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
This would put the weight closer to the pivot point in thus not creating such a heavy load to lift as opposed to adding the weight furthest from pivot point. Good idea but looks kinda tacky IMO.

Sometimes the word tacky falls right along the lines of cheap. :D I agree it's not the prettiest thing to have on there but it works very well. Virtually no cost to do and they can be removed easily if needed. It's really not a matter of weight but more so WHEN the pivoting point happens. AS the front casters come off the pieces of 2x6 the back of the mower is raising up so nothing really gets in the way. Yes it's tacky and cheap.

ShooterK2
03-30-2010, 01:07 PM
ALC-GregH I was thinking about that exact same thing last night. It will be trial-and-error to get it right, but it should solve the problem. I really don't want to extend the gate if I don't absolutely have to, but I've gotta do something. Mine doesn't just drag....it gets STUCK and you have to push it back off. And it does it whether I'm backing on or driving on forward.
I think I'll play aroung with some 1x6 boards and see what I can come up with. I guess if I painted them black like the trailer it may not look TOO bad. We'll see.
Thanks everyone for the input.

topsites
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Too steep an angle on the gate, how and where you park the truck can and does affect this,
however if it's on a perfectly level surface it should clear at least then.

Also it's not the spindles sticking, it's the blade bolt, it's not good, one day it will tear that grate up.

I am, of course, assuming you have put the deck in the "transport" position.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
You could also raise the hitch ball by changing the draw bar. In turn lowering the back of the trailer by a few inches. Not sure if you have room for the trailer to go down some in the back but this is another alternative. The spindles on my Tiger Cub would bump going on the trailer at only one of my stops. I just changed the draw bar for one with less drop. I also had the room to do it.

JB1
03-30-2010, 01:19 PM
could always adjust the hitch where you hook to truck.

ed2hess
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
just throw a piece of 2x4 under the end of the ramp, untill you can get it extended.

Bingo.......or use a wider board and thicker to get it up...works for gettting
the walkers into the trailers

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Are you raising your deck to the travel height?

djagusch
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Or order a dove tail trailer next time.

ShooterK2
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
I thought about using a hydraulic floor jack under the toungue to get the trailer at the right angle. That will probably get old pretty quick though.
Posted via Mobile Device

KMD Landscapes
03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
We ran into the same problem we probably have different ramps but you can use the same system.Before the economy went bad we only did installs and our trailer was perfect for skid steers and our tractor. Now that we do mostly maintenance we had to put 2 2x6's on each ramp with U bolts. We just cut them at a angle and sanded down the rest bolted them on and our toro ztr goes right up. Chicken wire for traction lol. I no it doesn't look that great but we didn't want to weld anything on the ramps because it's gonna go back to just being our install trailer. Good luck

stunna40
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
try riding on the trailer at a slight angle, but if u do get the gate extended have them split it so u only have to pick up one side at a time. trust me it is way way way lighter then pick up the whole gate at once. all my trailer have bn split. even my 5x10 and 6X12 that i just use on the farm

whosedog
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Shooterk2 if you want to mess with half a$$ solutions that's up to you. Go back to the place you bought the trailer and get the extension welded on,tell them what the problem is and they will give you the right length extension;when I did it in 2003 it cost $30 parts,$75 labor plus tax=$111.Add Ez lift trailer ramp lift assist kit for$150 and your problem is permanently solved.If you're going to do a job, do it right .

HenryB
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
The best advice is none of the above! Here is the solution. Have a welder put an arch in the gate. Cut it in half not all the way through about 90% and then reweld it. It will be stronger and much more clearance. Best of luck.

Cboy7
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
The best advice is none of the above! Here is the solution. Have a welder put an arch in the gate. Cut it in half not all the way through about 90% and then reweld it. It will be stronger and much more clearance. Best of luck.

hahha nooooo still noone of the above.

make so your mower deck will rest higher!
if the deck is attached with chains, put a good size bolt and nut in each of the four attach points. or just see where to adjust the deck with the bolt thread, and turn it to go higher in the travel position.

thats all you need , a tiny bit will make a big difference.

NOW we solved it ! haha

ALC-GregH
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
You could also raise the hitch ball by changing the draw bar. In turn lowering the back of the trailer by a few inches. Not sure if you have room for the trailer to go down some in the back but this is another alternative. The spindles on my Tiger Cub would bump going on the trailer at only one of my stops. I just changed the draw bar for one with less drop. I also had the room to do it.

could always adjust the hitch where you hook to truck.

What we said. :)

turftracerhp
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
i had to build up the last 8 feet of my trailer with 2x10 and it works great. just keep it nice and it doesnt look bad.

lawnscraper
03-31-2010, 10:55 PM
extend the gate. i had the same problem last year.

ShooterK2
04-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Well so far I've just been using the trailer jack to tilt the trailer back at each stop. Works for now, till I can come up with a permanent solution. I really don't want to make the gate heavier by extending it and then have to use a lift-assist mechanism. I like things simple.
I like turftracerhp's idea the best. Only downfall I can see is it may make it harder to rake leaves/clippings out, but I guess I have to give a little to get a little, huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

davey03
04-01-2010, 07:24 AM
I just fixed my trailer yesterday. Took a treated 2x6 ripped to 3 1/2" and bolted it on edge to the end of the gate, works great!

ALC-GregH
04-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Shooter, go to Walmart and buy a different draw bar for your hitch. Problem solved. You guys don't see that? It's the simplest way to change the gate angle.

I'd like to see a pic of your truck/trailer hooked up on level ground. Can you snap a pic of your rig hooked up?

ShooterK2
04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I know what you're saying ALC-GregH, but my trailer already has a pretty good tilt to it now. Any more and I'm afraid everything will be rolling to the back all the time. Not to mention possible driveability problems. But you are correct, lifting the front of the trailer does allow the mower to be loaded/unloaded without getting stuck, which is why I have been jacking the front up at each stop.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Snap a pic on level ground.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think your deck is right. Either your not in travel mode going up the ramp or your pitch is way off. I have a Lesco z-two which is close to the cud but not the wnig and have a 4ft gate and its sits raked and I have no issues hanging up at all. Do you have the right size tires are they inflated enough?

ShooterK2
04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
My phone won't let me post pics on here. Doesn't give me the option. I was noticing, however, that my gate has a slight bow to it, and it looks like it may be a contributing factor. Tires have the proper air pressure, deck all the way up in transport mode. My Scag walk-behind drags too, unless I wheelie it on, so I'm convinced it's the gate. I'll do some tweaking and see if I can find a solution. Thanks to all who replied.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Take the ramp off, put it on upside-down, and then with the trailer connected to a truck take another truck and drive up the ramp the other way to bend it back. Also, make sure you put jack stands under the rear of the frame of the trailer so you don't apply any stress to the trailer besides the gate. I have done this and put an arch on an older trailer because my car would hang up until I put the positive bow in it.

ALC-GregH
04-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Take the ramp off, put it on upside-down, and then with the trailer connected to a truck take another truck and drive up the ramp the other way to bend it back. Also, make sure you put jack stands under the rear of the frame of the trailer so you don't apply any stress to the trailer besides the gate. I have done this and put an arch on an older trailer because my car would hang up until I put the positive bow in it.

Simple easy step by step there. Good advice.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 11:05 PM
edit* not upside-down but backwards I guess you could describe it I think you understand.

Cboy7
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
make so your mower deck will rest higher!
if the deck is attached with chains, put a good size bolt and nut in each of the four attach points. or just see where to adjust the deck with the bolt thread, and turn it to go higher in the travel position.

thats all you need , a tiny bit will make a big difference.

Runner
04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
These are all great, but not the simplest of remedies by far. For this common problem, (which has been addressed many times) one of thee absolute best remedies is this;
When loading your mowers, watch where your wheels are when the deck drags. Actually, this is more prevalent when the mower is backed DOWN the trailer - and the wheelbase is longer. Right when the deck scrapes or hangs up, mark where the front wheels are. Here, you screw down a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 across the floor of the trailer. This way, when the wheels go over the raised wood, the deck clears the top of the gate.

unkownfl
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
These are all great, but not the simplest of remedies by far. For this common problem, (which has been addressed many times) one of thee absolute best remedies is this;
When loading your mowers, watch where your wheels are when the deck drags. Actually, this is more prevalent when the mower is backed DOWN the trailer - and the wheelbase is longer. Right when the deck scrapes or hangs up, mark where the front wheels are. Here, you screw down a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 across the floor of the trailer. This way, when the wheels go over the raised wood, the deck clears the top of the gate.

Runner, you didn't mention anything new about 10 people already said that. The issue of the bent gate needs to be addressed. What do you want him to do keep stacking 2x4's every year as the gate continues to bend? If the gate was straight he would have zero issues. If it had an arch to it, it would be stronger and probably never bend again.

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Runner, you didn't mention anything new about 10 people already said that. The issue of the bent gate needs to be addressed. What do you want him to do keep stacking 2x4's every year as the gate continues to bend? If the gate was straight he would have zero issues. If it had an arch to it, it would be stronger and probably never bend again.

Yeah, and I think I was the first to mention it. :) I'm too tired to go back and look.

Runner
04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
LOL...Oops! Sorry about that. I looked right over that. AllI was seeing was "jack the trailer up", "unhook the trailer", "build a longer gate", and "drive up the ramp on an angle" (which by the way, often works well). :)