PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the pull behind reel mowers?

instyle
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
On ebay you can but pull behind reel mowers up to 11' wide. it is really just a bunch of 22" reel mowers that are connected. But that almost seems to good to be true. Why doesn't every one run them?
Are they a decent cut? I have a bunch of very large properties, so this seems like the cats ass. Are they worth it?

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
A rotary mower will be more efficient in the way of maintenance. Ever had to sharpen a set of reel mower blades?

TimsLawnCareVA
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
They are used by most of the golf courses around here to cut the fairways.

instyle
03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Here is what i am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370355093350&Category=159929&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I knew they were used by golf courses, and they have nice grass, so does that not mean i could have a nice gut on regular large areas?

mnglocker
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Sharpening all those blades will break the bank.

txgrassguy
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
First of all that unit advertised on eBay is not a commercial unit.
Being a ground driven unit you must be able to get into the gear case to reset tolerances and to grease the unit as part of a normal yearly maintenance cycle.
On these you can't.
Secondly, true ground driven reel assemblies similar to the Toro, Jacobsen, Brower and some Deere units are heavy and even a decently powered atv cannot pull 3 on an A frame at one time. So you need a fairly good sized tractor - not easy to place on a trailer when the reel frame is almost 15' long unless you are totally non hydraulic powered which then means the reels don't fold up for transport and storage = take up a bunch of space.
Servicing reels, especially commercial units found on golf courses usually require sharpening once per year. What most of the readers here confuse facing/back lapping with grinding.
Unless the reel itself is damaged it shouldn't require grinding.
Why more LCO's don't use ground powered pull behind reels is simple - when was the last time you had to mow 20 or 30 maintained acres?
Plus, price per unit - without the transport or hydraulic frame is usually $1,500 for a beat unit to over $3,000 each set up ready to go.
Factor in the tractor, 7 reels, a hydraulic lift frame and now you are talking $30G +.
It is much more cost efficient to operate a wide area mower or three less skilled operators on 72" rotary units.

mowingmachine
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Those units on ebay will only work in short grass that is maintained often and they will not cut at the speed of a zero turn. Stick with a rotory type mower.