PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Grass

matt10486
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I just bought a home that has Zoysia Grass, both in my front and back yards. My neighbor and I are the only two homes in the development with Zoysia, needless I do not have much experience with it. Anyone have any tips?
Thank you

RAlmaroad
03-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Matt:
That grass is pretty and expensive and fairly drought resistant and traffic tolerant, but not completely. Modern Turf, Rembert, SC http://www.modernturf.com/zoysia-turf-sc are great people who know this grass. They are huge sod farms and have a maintaining guide for Zoysia on their website. I'd help you out but don't have enough experience with it to help you. I think it should be cut with a reel mower at about 1/2" (Not really sure of that) Maybe some of the other guys will help. I was suprized that it even grows that far north. Roy

SeedPro
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Matt:
That grass is pretty and expensive and fairly drought resistant and traffic tolerant, but not completely. Modern Turf, Rembert, SC http://www.modernturf.com/zoysia-turf-sc are great people who know this grass. They are huge sod farms and have a maintaining guide for Zoysia on their website. I'd help you out but don't have enough experience with it to help you. I think it should be cut with a reel mower at about 1/2" (Not really sure of that) Maybe some of the other guys will help. I was suprized that it even grows that far north. Roy

It'll grow anyplace. It just won't come out of dormancy until the soil temps hit 65 degrees of some crap.

matt10486
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
do i have to fertilize? dethatch anything like that?

FrankPollySod
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
You should not fertilize any more than normal. If you are mowing more than once per week you may be fertilizing too much.

De thatching is not needed currently for Empire Zoysia Grass. The summer months may call for this depending on your location. This decision will also come down to the amount of fertilizing.

Frank Polly Sod
www.FrankPollySod.com (http://frankpollysod.com)

andyslawncare
04-20-2010, 01:43 AM
bag your clippings. Use a sharp reel mower if possible (especially on emerald zoysia). If you don't use a reel mower, mow no more than 1/4 to 1/3 grass height at a time, bag, and cut with a sharp blade once per week. Dethatch if thatch is more than 1/2 inch. You can also help it by core aerating and top dressing with either an amended top soil mixed with sand, or a weed free (sterile sand) that has been amended with 10% fertilizer agents. Check with your local mulch/stone suppliers, my supplier has a great product (USGA90/10 is the product name). Take a soil core sample of your property in many places front and back. You will need at least 1 cup of soil, and take this soil to your extension office or agriculture university for testing. It will tell you a good idea of where your nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium levels are, which will tell you how much and which type of fertilizer to use.

andyslawncare
04-20-2010, 01:47 AM
It is expensive grass, and very valuable to have in your lawn. If you care for it right, it is pretty weed free and thick. Watch for signs of insects and diseases that may change the color of parts of the lawn. You may read up on insects, diseases, and fungus that infect zoysia. If you don't know which type of zoysia you have, I would find out, since they are different in a few ways...

FrankPollySod
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
All excellent points by andyslawncare! Two types of bugs that will effect Zoysia grass will be Chinchbugs and Billbugs. Since Zoysiagrass can be thick they will hit a large area. Just continue to maintain your grass frequently!

Frank Polly Sod
(352) 429-9162
http://frankpollysod.com/sod-types/empire-zoysia-sod.php

bigslick7878
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I just bought a home that has Zoysia Grass, both in my front and back yards. My neighbor and I are the only two homes in the development with Zoysia, needless I do not have much experience with it. Anyone have any tips?
Thank you

The best tip I can give you is to get rid of it, it is not a grass meant for the northeast.

If you like your lawn brown for 6 months out of the year keep it.

It is a fine grass.....

If you live in Georgia.