PDA

View Full Version : Huge dealer price difference

The Lone Mower
03-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Went and looked at a Scag Pro V 36" WB unit today, at two different dealers.

I kind of expected them to be about the same price, both are within 30-35 miles of each other...

The first dealer had what I am looking for on the floor, listed at $4295- actually has it on sale for $3999.

Second dealer didn't have in stock, but could get within two days from the warehouse. $5899, bottom line no dealing.

How can there be that much discrepency between dealers? A few hundred $ maybe, but this seems crazy. The second dealer is actually larger would seem to have better volume buying power-thus being able to offer a little better pricing.

So, I'm just a bit baffled by this. Oh well, I know which one will be getting my business as far as sales go for now.

yardguy28
03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
thats ALOT of money for a 36" walkbehind in the first place. you can get an exmark metro 36" for $3000.

JB1
03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Went and looked at a Scag Pro V 36" WB unit today, at two different dealers.

I kind of expected them to be about the same price, both are within 30-35 miles of each other...

The first dealer had what I am looking for on the floor, listed at $4295- actually has it on sale for $3999.

Second dealer didn't have in stock, but could get within two days from the warehouse. $5899, bottom line no dealing.

How can there be that much discrepency between dealers? A few hundred $ maybe, but this seems crazy. The second dealer is actually larger would seem to have better volume buying power-thus being able to offer a little better pricing.

So, I'm just a bit baffled by this. Oh well, I know which one will be getting my business as far as sales go for now.

one dealer might be buying a truck load at a time where the other one is buying a few at a time. then there is early season pricing where one might have bettter buying power.

Mike Blevins
03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
thats ALOT of money for a 36" walkbehind in the first place. you can get an exmark metro 36" for $3000.

Let me know where you can by Exmark hydro walk-behinds for $3000.00. The Scag he is talking about is the pro-v which is a hydro driven machine. Personally I think that the $3999 would be a good price. I just priced a 36 exmark hydro turf tracer for $5800.00 and a 52" was $6999.00. Must be where its close to the start of the season.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
If you're planning on spending that kind of loot, might as well get a V-Ride. They offer it in a 36 with a 20hp Kawi. If you're not limited on wide, step up to the 48 or 52.

yardguy28
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Let me know where you can by Exmark hydro walk-behinds for $3000.00. The Scag he is talking about is the pro-v which is a hydro driven machine. Personally I think that the $3999 would be a good price. I just priced a 36 exmark hydro turf tracer for $5800.00 and a 52" was $6999.00. Must be where its close to the start of the season.

didn't know that mower was a hydro or that he specifically was looking for a hydro.

for $6999.00 i can get a great 52" lazer z with some accessories so the prices you are spitting out for walkbehinds are high as well.

The Lone Mower
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
If you're planning on spending that kind of loot, might as well get a V-Ride. They offer it in a 36 with a 20hp Kawi. If you're not limited on wide, step up to the 48 or 52.

I don't know about that, the 36" V ride they had was stickered at $6999. :eek:

Since I'm just getting my feet wet, and have only residentials lined up, I'm hoping the WB for $4k will do for now.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Hell I rather ride or stand for that price.

LoneToySoldier
03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
I looked at a 36" hustler walk-behind this week for $5899. Granted that was hydro and floating deck. Still I can't believe what people want for walk behind mowers. Try something gently used.

P.Services
03-30-2010, 10:20 PM
I had a price on a 61" velocity fixed deck walk behind for 4700 the other dealer wanted 7900??!! There are only three of those mowers left in the country and when the first dealer caught wind that the other guy was that high he jacked his price up to. F em all! I'm gona buy a used 52" pro v for 3900 bucks and mail them a picture with my bare a$$ bent over. All dealers are crooks, then they want to act like your a jerk for shopping around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderhead
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
All dealers are crooks, then they want to act like your a jerk for shopping around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry, but I have to dis-agree with that statement.

ashgrove landscaping
03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Dealers ARE making gobs of money off mowers. P.services is dead on right. $1500-$2500 per machine!! This is insane. Just imagine how much these companies are making. It s not like these mowers are sooo advanced. Very wrong. If they can t match a price then see you later, they just lost a sale. Service is where money is made. Just goes to show you that they re all just creepy salesmen.

P.Services
03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
way more then 1500-2500.
more like 3 to 4 grand per more if you dont beat them over a barrel for a better price.

i do months and months of research talking to dealers outside my area, gaining all the info i can and then when i feel i have enough i go to my dealer and name my price i will pay. period.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Put it this way I can order 10 $7000 Toro mowers for 20k delivered.

P.Services
03-30-2010, 11:20 PM

no you cant, dont pull numbers outa your a$$ just to sound stupid.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Alibaba.com buddy. I already ordered 1000 light bulbs for cars and have sold them on my Ebay store still have about 200 left. I ordered kites a few years ago sold them at the beach and made about 5k off of them. Look up what Toro mowers go for on there or any brand.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM

You are sooooooooo full of s**t even your breath stinks..Sorry Alice you are NOT in wonderland. Sorry to pop your bubble.

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Forgot about the scooters in 08 and generators in 05-06 I've been burned a few hundred but you learn how the scams work once you have bought a few things on there. I'm going to try sky dancers this year and maybe mower transmissions and edger blades on ebay? I couldn't chance 20k on a container of mowers right now.

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
You are sooooooooo full of s**t even your breath stinks..Sorry Alice you are NOT in wonderland. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Thats cool don't believe me what am I gaining by lying? Some status on this forum like that matters to me? There is plenty of dealers that get there stuff from there hell encore sells directly on there and I have been talking to them. I just don't have a way of finance 6k+ mower to the public and don't see a fast enough turn over.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
way more then 1500-2500.
more like 3 to 4 grand per more if you dont beat them over a barrel for a better price.

i do months and months of research talking to dealers outside my area, gaining all the info i can and then when i feel i have enough i go to my dealer and name my price i will pay. period.

Sooo, you are the one that calls and WASTES our time when you have NO jobs lined for the week. 3-4 grand each??? LMAO....try a mere $500-$700 per unit if lucky. Some of you make me wanna puke!! Why are most LCO companies typical rednecks? Read this thread and you will see!! Enough said.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Thats cool don't believe me what am I gaining by lying? Some status on this forum like that matters to me? There is plenty of dealers that get there stuff from there hell encore sells directly on there and I have been talking to them. I just don't have a way of finance 6k+ mower to the public and don't see a fast enough turn over.

HUH? So you are a dealer or LCO? The blurb is kinda funky. No sense made to made..Sorry, maybe I'm missing something/

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
HUH? So you are a dealer or LCO? The blurb is kinda funky. No sense made to made..Sorry, maybe I'm missing something/

I do a few things no I'm not a dealers I toyed with the idea just don't see the money in it right now. Sure servicing units and yada yada you can make some money but I like to buy and sell items. My uncle and I have messed around with importing goods on alibaba but we have been burned a few times but when things did go our way we made a killing. I have never made a transaction over 1000 bucks on there and no way would I be willing to risk 20k on mower but they are on there for that price check it out yourself.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=unkownfl;3498140]Forgot about the scooters in 08 and generators in 05-06 I've been burned a few hundred but you learn how the scams work once you have bought a few things on there. I'm going to try sky dancers this year and maybe mower transmissions and edger blades on ebay? I couldn't chance 20k on a container of mowers right now.[/QUOT

I would like to check out your eBay store...What is your user ID on eBay?

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Believe me or not I'm not giving you my account info so you can mess with my livelihood. It's not that important to me if you believe or not.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
I do a few things no I'm not a dealers I toyed with the idea just don't see the money in it right now. Sure servicing units and yada yada you can make some money but I like to buy and sell items. My uncle and I have messed around with importing goods on alibaba but we have been burned a few times but when things did go our way we made a killing. I have never made a transaction over 1000 bucks on there and no way would I be willing to risk 20k on mower but they are on there for that price check it out yourself.

If you make so much doing that, why do you cut grass for a living. We ALL know there is NO MONEY in that..:- YES PUN INTENDED, still wandering why $100 in price is a make you or break you deal for RICH LCO'S. Nobody will ever that question here. Never have, Never will.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Believe me or not I'm not giving you my account info so you can mess with my livelihood. It's not that important to me if you believe or not.

Your right...I'm calling BS

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 12:37 AM
If you make so much doing that, why do you cut grass for a living. We ALL know there is NO MONEY in that..:- YES PUN INTENDED, still wandering why $100 in price is a make you or break you deal for RICH LCO'S. Nobody will ever that question here. Never have, Never will.

I never said I made so much I said what I made did I mention how long it took? Just like when you buy mowers how long do you have to sit on them to make that 1000 bucks off of them? I got into mowing mostly because my father is a Realtor and I have a few friends that got laid off the same time I did from the power company. We are all use to working out side and have large properties anyway so what does it hurt to spend some money on lawn equipment? The company only made a little over 30k last year sure we could probably make a little bit more but like you mentioned there isn't a whole lot of money to be made in the mowing business.

Mow N GO 06
03-31-2010, 12:50 AM
I never said I made so much I said what I made did I mention how long it took? Just like when you buy mowers how long do you have to sit on them to make that 1000 bucks off of them? I got into mowing mostly because my father is a Realtor and I have a few friends that got laid off the same time I did from the power company. We are all use to working out side and have large properties anyway so what does it hurt to spend some money on lawn equipment? The company only made a little over 30k last year sure we could probably make a little bit more but like you mentioned there isn't a whole lot of money to be made in the mowing business.

You stated: in a previous reply:

way more then 1500-2500.

I called you out is all;

Now you say 1 grand and I SPECIFICALLY stated $500-$700 per unit if lucky.

I commend you for your business and wish you success, BUT get your numbers and FACTS straight before typing a bunch of BS. Dealers are lucky to be alive these days. MOST LCO'S are not spending a dime these days, even on a new string trimmer for the year. It is a tough business for all of us these days.

A hundred bucks says you will make MORE than 3 to 4 grand on that new machine you BEAT your dealer down on. He made $400.....How much will you make on it over 4-5 years?? I bet NOBODY will on here will HONESTLY answer that..

JB1
03-31-2010, 07:25 AM
Another thread gone to hell.

yardguy28
03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
thats what i was just thinking...........yesterday when i left it was one page of good information and i come back today and there's 2 pages of sheot.......

The Lone Mower
03-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Uhhh... yeah. Wow.

So anyway, I think I'm going to go with the 36 Pro V for now. I could use a little more exercise, and I don't have any lawns over 1/2 acre.

If I do get any larger, I'll get a sulky to make them a bit easier until I can get a larger mower.