PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Dodge today

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
My brother brought over his Dodge Cummins 12 valve for some maintenance the engine oil had about 30,000kms (22,000 miles) on it :dizzy:

I don't think Dino oil is supposed to be run that long good thing it is Delo 400. It is not my truck so it is up to him to get the oil changed I keep telling my brother bring the truck over. He has been busy and I work full time.

The 12 valve engines are worse than a 2 stroke detroit for leaks everything is bleeding oil. I tried finding a air leak in the fuel system I couldn't find it the return line system is all tight the other fittings are tight. My brother revs the engine past 2000 rpm for any length of time it loads up with air and stalls the motor out so he has to bleed the air out. It happens when he is traveling down he highway it starts missing and stalls. It is a bosch inline pump not the s****y rotary pump. Our cousin is a licensed HD mechanic he can't find where the air leak(s) are coming from.

Today I tightened up what ever I could to try stop the oil leaks the back rocker cover boxes are bleeding everywhere. The road draft tube is pouring black oil everywhere. The front of the truck will never get rusty from the 12 valve bleeding oil out.

I'am lost on why it is loading up on air in the fuel maybe it is time for a injection pump. The truck has 280,000kms (174,000 miles) it has had the lift pump changed around 230,000kms (143,000 miles) that wasn't cheap the Dodge dealer charged my brother 350 dollars for the pump and 250 dollars to install it.

My brother is hoping to get another year out of the truck and get rid of it the transmission is about to go the engine doesn't like to start when its cold. The engine is reaching its lifespan many 12 valve engines around here crap out at 300,000kms (187,000 miles).

WH401
03-30-2010, 06:10 PM
And you post this why? With maintenance and an owner like that no wonder it's got problems. Even a glorious Ford, (:rolleyes:), would have problems in that situation.

Moto52
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
hmmmm 30,000km oil change intervals and your always talking like diesel engines are only good for 200k... i think i see now why you can't get a long life out of them... a farmer friend of mine has a 1989 dodge with the 12v cummins and it has almost a million kms on the engine? is he the luckiest guy in north america??

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
If my brother didn't still owe money on his truck he would have dumped it a long time ago. The thing has been a money pit he isn't looking forward to replacing the transmission. He said he will have it paid off in a 3 months and it will be heading for the auction. Nobody can figure out why the passenger side steer tire burns off he isn't the only one everybody with the 94-97 Dodge Cummins trucks have the same problem.

We are a Ford familly my dad and grandpa has been using Ford trucks for decades. Couple weeks ago dad was looking at a friends 09 Dodge Cummins he said the thing was a cheap POS. He couldn't beleive how cheap the interior is and how thin the sheet metal is on a Dodge.

With my brothers truck I have been telling him to get the oil changed in his truck but he was working 12 hour days 6 days a week he had no time.

The oil didn't look that bad when I drained it today the filter wasn't heavy either. Alteast it has 10.5 litres of new Delo 400 and a fleet guard filter.

I do the maintenance on my own truck the engine oil is changed every 5000 kilometers (3000 miles) I may run it a little longer. Truck does weigh 9800lbs empty and is traveling on 10% grades daily. In my mind oil is cheap ya it costs me 130 dollars for a pail of synthetic oil but it makes the 6.0 happy.

I was told the 12 valve Cummins are leakers and it is a loosing battle trying to keep the oil leaks sealed. Cummins never did design the engines for the long haul build them cheap and sell them.

360ci
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Diesels require frequent oil changes, that's the problem right there:

Car, 5 quarts = 5000kms or so on cheap oil
Diesel, 15quarts = 15000kms or so on cheap oil
8V92, 40 quarts = 40,000kms or so on GOOD 15W40

A good consensus is to drive 1000kms per quart. Going over that is up to the operator, especially if the truck gets worked regularly, he should be changing it sooner. Synthetic oils can go longer, but even so without a bypass filtering unit installed, it's best to stick with OEM changes as the oil will break down faster.

I know THREE 12V owners who have had no major problems with their engines in well over 500-820,000kms. One does leak some oil but nothing drastic that it requires a top up between oil changes. Oil seals only leak when the oil becomes ineffective at around 20-25,000kms, as it gets too dirty to do it's job without adding a second filter, or by pass unit.

As for 2 stroke Detroits, they might leak (my 8V92) but at least they had an oil catch can so you can reuse most of the oil. If the engine stalls over 2000rpm, the engine has some serious problems, more than likely all due to his lack of maintenance.

I'd bet that the transmission that's about to die in his truck, has never been serviced, or perhaps it had once in the last 280K. Should be serviced every year if he works it hard, maybe every 2-3 years for personal driving at the most.

KTM
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Your brother still owes money on a 12 valve with 174,000 miles? Then spreads out the oil changes 20k miles. You guys don't sound to smart.

gtmorgan89
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I used to know my way around 12v's pretty well. Any stock auto tranny in any dodge is thin ice. Sounds like he paid a fair price for that lift pump, given it was from a dealer. He has a good chance of replacing the injector pump in the near future as well. A FASS fuel system is a great investment. I have had the FASS on 2 24v's as a precautionary measure. The first one is up to 350,000 miles and counting.

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
He paid 21,000 for the truck and has owned the truck for 4 years now it was a stretched out loan so the payments were cheaper. He bought the truck when he first started his business. The truck had about 180,000kms (112,000 miles) and my brother is the second owner of the truck. Truck belonged to a old retired guy it wasn't driven hard for most of its life and seen nothing but dealer servicing till my brother bought it.

In the 4 years my brother has had to put in 2 sets of ball joints, replace front axle shafts, it needs new axle U joints again. I checked the transmission fluid it is good not burn't but the transmission is starting to go.

zak406
03-30-2010, 11:36 PM
He paid 21,000 for the truck and has owned the truck for 4 years now it was a stretched out loan so the payments were cheaper. He bought the truck when he first started his business. The truck had about 180,000kms (112,000 miles) and my brother is the second owner of the truck. Truck belonged to a old retired guy it wasn't driven hard for most of its life and seen nothing but dealer servicing till my brother bought it.

In the 4 years my brother has had to put in 2 sets of ball joints, replace front axle shafts, it needs new axle U joints again. I checked the transmission fluid it is good not burn't but the transmission is starting to go.

Sounds like he is a little rough on the goods...

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
There is a guy in the area with the same vintage truck as my brothers a 12 valve with the bosch pump. Turbo seals blew started pressurizing the oiling system and blew out a bunch of seals and filled up one of the cylinders and hydrolocked the engine. The engine had 270,000 something kilometers
(168,000 miles) on it the guy put a rebuilt into the truck for a cool 11 grand.
yep he got sucked in a rebuilt drop in 12 valve is 9 grand.

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Sounds like he is a little rough on the goods...

The truck has 800 pounds of tools on its back 365 days a year and the truck does see offroad use.

360ci
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Abused trucks will see regular maintenance more often than cars, if that's what you would compare it to here. I abuse my durango, and it's not entirely meant for what I put it through at the best of times, but it still hauls a$$. I've had two sets of ball joints done in the last 185,000kms, original trans (fluid changed with filter every year - NO flush). I do a lot of my own work which saves me $95/hr in labour at a local shop, even more at the dealer.

There were some good deals on newer 6.7L Rams, but I couldn't justify it in the summer, as I'd be starting it and stopping it every 1-2km, and that's the worst thing you can do to a diesel. Gas engines can better tolerate the constant start/stop, but it's not always easy for them either. So, Durango it is for another year, and I really can't complain about the maintenance since I know it'll save me thousands down the road in repairs.

To get maximum life from the trans, be sure to change the fluid and filter. If your brother has never done it, it's no wonder why you would think the transmission is on it's way out. Chances are high that the original owner might have had it changed at least once in the time he owned it.

Stonewellmark
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
check the rubber line from the rear of the fuel filter housing that connects the the braided stainless line, they crack and suck air. (the return side of the system) On the delivery side check the fuel heater (located in front of the mechanical fuel pump on the drivers side of the block) their is a pre-filter screen that gets clogged and sometimes the electrical connection suck in air. and finally check the fuel lines along the frame rails and the steel lines that go into the fuel tank (they rot out pretty fast) If that little doohickey is rotted go to tristarradiator.com they make replacement metal line inserts for $150ish, way cheaper then dodges $470 for the entire fuel pick-up that goes into the tank. If all that is good then the return presure regulater is probably bad, its in the banjo fitting on top of the injector pump at the front of the motor, very common to go bad and will usually give you NO power above 2300 RPM (it returns all the fuel to the tank, starves the engine and eventually the injector pump craps out because the fuel pressure is what lubes that pump.) Go join dodge diesel forum great site for the cummins in the dodges. best of luck

Gravel Rat
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
check the rubber line from the rear of the fuel filter housing that connects the the braided stainless line, they crack and suck air. (the return side of the system) On the delivery side check the fuel heater (located in front of the mechanical fuel pump on the drivers side of the block) their is a pre-filter screen that gets clogged and sometimes the electrical connection suck in air. and finally check the fuel lines along the frame rails and the steel lines that go into the fuel tank (they rot out pretty fast) If that little doohickey is rotted go to tristarradiator.com they make replacement metal line inserts for $150ish, way cheaper then dodges $470 for the entire fuel pick-up that goes into the tank. If all that is good then the return presure regulater is probably bad, its in the banjo fitting on top of the injector pump at the front of the motor, very common to go bad and will usually give you NO power above 2300 RPM (it returns all the fuel to the tank, starves the engine and eventually the injector pump craps out because the fuel pressure is what lubes that pump.) Go join dodge diesel forum great site for the cummins in the dodges. best of luck

Thanks for the info I will have a look when my brother has some time. Ordering any parts from Dodge will be a nightmare my brother will have to license his Ford because it would be a month or more wait for parts. There is never any parts instock at any dealer in B.C. the Dodge dealer that is in the area also owns many other Dodge dealers throughout the province.

Stonewellmark
03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Go to ginosgarage.com for parts, they links to other aftermarket parts and ALOT of info on the cummins.

CASEBoy89
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok first off I dont agree with pretty much anything you have said. the 12v Cummins engine is one of the best motors out there. They are bullet proof, everything is mechanical, and it has the bulletproof design of the Inline engine. I do agree these things tend to leak when they start getting into the higher mileage but show me a truck that is over 13 years old with over 150k miles that doesn't leak. Its called old age, but most of the time those leaks are easy fixes, spray the engine down with degreaser wash off well and inspect every day untill you find the seal that is leaking. I personally have a 12v and will never drive anything else then a dodge cummins as my personal truck. The reliability and ease of maint and design is what i like the most. There are 4 12vs in my group of friends and all those trucks have more then 180000 miles on em and all run like they are new and get 16+ MPG. All trucks have there issues but if one persons truck seems to be a POS it doesn't mean everytruck with the same setup is a POS. Maint. is key, if you take care of her she will take care of you.

MikeKle
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I would try to find a junkyard tranny, there is plenty of Dodges in junkyards around here in that body style, back when I had a 99 2500 I found a few viable donors at a local junkyard, an automatic from a 98 2500 diesel that had major body damage, but the engine and tranny were OK. it had around 80K miles, they wanted $1900. for the tranny and $800 to install it. I would definitely look at some junkyards!

MikeKle
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
There is a guy in the area with the same vintage truck as my brothers a 12 valve with the bosch pump. Turbo seals blew started pressurizing the oiling system and blew out a bunch of seals and filled up one of the cylinders and hydrolocked the engine. The engine had 270,000 something kilometers
(168,000 miles) on it the guy put a rebuilt into the truck for a cool 11 grand.
yep he got sucked in a rebuilt drop in 12 valve is 9 grand.

damn!!!! You all are getting ripped off! You can get a used Dodge diesel engine from a junkyard in KY and/or IN and OH for around $5000. in pretty good shape, and usually they dont charge too much to install them either!

SLR
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
That brother of yours needs to look into buying bus passes! If he is so busy working all the time,well i have a chevy outback that has a full tank of unleaded gas in it from the 1970's..the POS won't start..any idea's anyone?

becpropertymaint.
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
no comment

Gravel Rat
04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
My brother has decided to get rid of his Dodge it is going to the next auction the transmission is pretty much done so he is looking at 3500 dollars for a rebuilt automatic. The injection pump is crapping out so he is looking at 1200 dollars and now one of the front U joints is gone on the front axle so 300 dollars. The truck has always had front brake problems and it is going to need new brake pads.

The 12 valve Cummins isn't a totally reliable engine they crap out early. They are a cheap engine Cummins built them cheap to sell them cheap kinda like a 350 Chevy.

Maybe you Dodge lovers like the cheap 12 valve but that isn't a Cummins its a little POS they should be embarrassed to have their name on it.

I guess some of you have no experience with a true Cummins engine my favorite is the old 400 Big Cam the engine has jam can pistons and sounds good.

pitrack
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't get the point of this thread besides trying to get your little point across about how "Dodge is junk". I stopped reading your post when you said your brother waited 22k miles until he changed the oil.

You're a Ford family, then stay that way.

KTM
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Your point?

South Florida Lawns
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Maybe your bro needs a big boy truck 1 1/4 ton for commercial use. Is his dodge a service body for all the tools he carries?

laird006
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
dodge and cummins must have something right. my 96 heavy duty 2500 4wd runs like new with 226k miles and gets 21 mpg, thats not even babying it either.

CASEBoy89
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
The cummins 12v is a cheap engine? R U KIDDING? The 12v cummins is NO DIFFERENT THEN ANY OTHER CUMMINS! Its just all mechanical and is 12v instead of the 24v found in the 98.5+ trucks. If it was so crappy why did they stay with the design and just adjust features as advancement in technology came about? The reason i think your brothers truck is a POS is because of the ignorance of an owner to not take care of the truck. Obviously he didn't take care of it if it went 22K miles before an oil change. That should have been 4 changes with regular oil not synthetic. I know multiple people and have seen multiple guys on Cumminsforum with over 200K miles on their 12v without a rebuild. I even saw a post of a guy that thought it was time for a rebuild because it had close to 300k miles on it and everything in the truck besides the valve lash were in spec and looked close to new. So where you say this is a cheap engine, talk to all the owners of them that dont have a truck payment and get almost 20 or more MPG on the highway with there cheap motor. In my opinion a truck with no payment and is over 15 years old and still runs like the day it came off the assembly line is a GREAT TRUCK.

Gravel Rat
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
The cummins 12v is a cheap engine? R U KIDDING? The 12v cummins is NO DIFFERENT THEN ANY OTHER CUMMINS! Its just all mechanical and is 12v instead of the 24v found in the 98.5+ trucks. If it was so crappy why did they stay with the design and just adjust features as advancement in technology came about? The reason i think your brothers truck is a POS is because of the ignorance of an owner to not take care of the truck. Obviously he didn't take care of it if it went 22K miles before an oil change. That should have been 4 changes with regular oil not synthetic. I know multiple people and have seen multiple guys on Cumminsforum with over 200K miles on their 12v without a rebuild. I even saw a post of a guy that thought it was time for a rebuild because it had close to 300k miles on it and everything in the truck besides the valve lash were in spec and looked close to new. So where you say this is a cheap engine, talk to all the owners of them that dont have a truck payment and get almost 20 or more MPG on the highway with there cheap motor. In my opinion a truck with no payment and is over 15 years old and still runs like the day it came off the assembly line is a GREAT TRUCK.

Any engine that doesn't have replaceable cylinder sleeves is a throwaway engine so the 5.9 Cummins is no different than the Power Stroke or the Duramax.

With the 12 valve you can't run the engine past 210-215hp or it will melt down maybe flat landers where you crap yourself on grades steeper than 4 percent can run a 12 valve and get good mileage out of them. Start pulling 8-10 percent grades everyday the engine never gets below 2 grand forget it the engine is working too hard.

As for fuel mileage the most my brother ever got was 15-16 mpg I hand caculated his fuel mileage for curiosity.

stroker51
04-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Im a Ford Powerstroke guy, but Im not afraid to admit when GM or Dodge gets something right. And both examples you just used are perfect ones. The chevy 350 was/is a great multi purpose gasser for its time. And the 12 valve cummins.....I mean I know guys with pulling trucks making almost as much power as 24 valves out of them. Your brothers truck sounds like a POS, but still. The 12 valve was 10x as reliable as the 6.0 in Fords, and let me emphasize again, I am a Powerstroke guy, i have 3 7.3's and and idi 7.3. However, when the 351 in my 84 250 pukes out, its getting a 12 valve.

CASEBoy89
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
well most of the stuff you just said just dont make sence. We are talking about a medium duty engine, of course they dont have replaceable sleeves, neither does a ford or a chevy so that point has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Cant run passed 210-215hp? Then tell all the guys that use these trucks everyday on the farms around here and pull with em at the truck pulls pushing 300-400 HP? The only time ive heard of one melt down was the driver didn't pay attention to his gauges and his turbo went out and since no air was moving and he had 150hp injectors it melted the #6 piston. And working to hard? A lot of cummins engine applications have these engine running at close to redline all day long so Im pretty sure the engine isn't working to hard.

Gravel Rat
04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
If you think the 5.9 Cummins is a medium duty engine there is your problem it is NOT a medium duty engine. In a medium duty truck they die even quicker you are lucky to get 200,000kms 124,000 miles out of one and it is dripping and leaking oil from everywhere.

I can see Caseboy you don't have much experience with any larger engine. The 12 valves rated at 215 is the max hp without the engine seeing excessive heat. The engine is too small it doesn't have enough mass to remove the heat and in a pickup truck the radiator isn't big enough.

There is a huge difference from playing on flatland like I assume you do to driving on hills where your brakes don't hold with a load on the truck. Go down a hill too fast and you burn the front brakes right off your truck if your lucky it gets hot enough the brake caliper pops and you have a brake fluid fire. The worst part is when your trailer brakes give out and its pushing you down the hill and you can't control it it doesn't matter how much you push on the brakes the truck brakes are cherry red.

Seen that many times where people have distroyed the brakes on their truck they are pulling too much weight the trailer brakes give out. Now they are looking at brakes on all 4 corners and replacing brake rotors calipers the whole shot.

CASEBoy89
04-10-2010, 02:44 PM
We are talking about pick up trucks, all the issues you are bring up have nothing to do with a pick-up truck. The loads you talk about shouldn't be pulled with a 3/4ton or 1 ton. So apparently i understand why your brothers truck is crap, he is using it past its limits. Maybe he should look into CDL level truck.....if he needs something to pull loads that heavy up hills and such. I have used my 12valve to pull about 15k lbs up a grade for about 2 miles and she never slowed down or anything just kept on chuggin.

Gravel Rat
04-10-2010, 03:09 PM
My brother never pulls a trailer the most weight he carrys on his truck is 3000lbs he may pull a air compressor once in a while but most of the time the truck has 800-1000lbs on it. Put 3000lbs on it and the truck is a real gutless POS your lucky to climb the hills at 37mph.

A Dodge 12 valve with a inline injection pump max trailer weigh would be 10,000lbs get any more weight than that say good bye to the transmission the engine will be screaming. The old boxy Dodge trucks with the 12 valve and rotary pump put a 10,000lb trailer behind them the trailer pulls the truck backwards down the hill.

You climb 10% grades at 25mph with a load usually a Dodge 12 valve is struggling to make 19mph with a 10,000lb trailer a loaded 63 ton B train can pass a 12 valve Dodge on climbing a 10% grade.

I don't pull trailers I will carry a 8000lb load on the deck of the truck than deal with a trailer that can cause you some serious problems. Trailer brakes fail your dead meat and riding in a ambulance to the hospital so they can sew your head back on.

Even my 6.0 grossing 17,000lbs climbs 10% grades at 32 mph it isn't going to go any faster.

jimmyjack
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
boy you make me laugh with the backward ass chit you say GR:hammerhead:

pitrack
04-11-2010, 01:45 AM
boy you make me laugh with the backward ass chit you say GR:hammerhead:

Haha I'm right there with you man.

emlawncare
04-11-2010, 02:59 AM
All I can say is WOW. First of all a Dodge with a Cummins engine is probably the BEST pick up out there. I personally drive a 1996 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3 v6 and it does everything I need it to. It has been a farm truck since the day it was new so its seen its fair share of abuse and it still starts right up every morning. If it can pull a 16 cattle trailer with four 1400 pound calves in it, I think your brothers cummins is a pile of ****. Yeah I dont drive up the steep hills like you but still... thats over 6,000 lbs trailer included on a 1/2 ton pick-up. If your brothers cummins cant pull itself up a hill with his tools on it, something is seriously wrong with it. That truck is a 300,000 mile truck with proper maintainence. A friend of mine owns a 95 2500 dodge cummins 12valve with 325,000 miles and the most he has had to do to it is a new head gasket and a tranny rebuild. He gets 21 mpg with ease and he has a pretty heavy foot. I think you need to tell your brother that no truck or vehicle for that matter will last on 22,000 mile oil changes. I cant imagine why it has so many problems. Do a lil research too before your start ripping on an american made truck!:usflag:

WH401
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Gravel Rat, your a one of a kind idiot.:rolleyes::hammerhead:

igotdiesel2
04-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey Gravel Rat, look up www.cumminsforum.com It is a free website dedicated to all the cummins engines in dodge trucks. Do some reading and them come back to this post and apologize to everyone for being so ignorant on the subject of the 12v. Now I have personally seen a 12v that dynoed 726Hp with almost 1500#'s of torque. I also know a guy with a 1994 Dodge with a 12v that has 1.4 million miles on it with 2 head rebuilds and 3 trannys. He is a hot shot hauler, now do you think his motor is junk? I bet he doesn't. I have a 2001 Dodge with a 24v with over 150,000 miles on it. It has had it's fair share of problems, poor design of fuel delivery for example but with a little research and $500.00 later I have taken care of that problem. When I used to run rotella oil I changed it every 10,000 miles and now I go 25,000 miles with Amsoil and have never had a oil leak or oil related problem. If I every find a 1998.5 Dodge Quad Cab with a 12v in it I will get rid of my truck in a second. They are rare rare rare but they are the best truck Dodge made.

Just look around and see what motors are still running strong, my guess they are the Cummins 12v and the old 7.3 powerstrokes in that order. -Jason

Gravel Rat
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
It is fun seeing Dodge boys defend sh*t box Dodge trucks. Dodge will always produce a POS truck.

Trucks like my brothers are not overly common here because Dodge isn't that common because Ford trucks have 70-80 percent of the truck market.

Like I said many times if Dodge was a reliable truck they would be used in the forest industry but Dodge trucks are not because they fall apart.

It will be the last Dodge my brother ever buys he learned his lesson not to buy a truck you can't get parts for. It doesn't matter what Dodge dealer you deal with in this province you can't get parts and if you do it takes for ever.

One guy in the area bought a 1 ton Dodge flatdeck the motor had 180,000 miles engine blew had to put a rebuilt engine into it. A few others around here same thing engine problems.

I'am friends with a mechanic that worked on the 5.9 and all Cummins engines he knows more than you Dodge guys would ever know. He said he can have a 5.9 rebuilt in 4 hours he was a certified Cummins mechanic. He prefers the 7.3 Powerstroke over the Cummins.

Keep defending your POS Dodge boys they have been proven in real work situations and fail every time. I don't class a truck working on a farm working hard it spends all its life on flat land.

Working a truck hard is when your on hills where the transmission starts to slip because it is steep or where you can snap axle shafts or bust the spider gears out of the diff. Most of the time the brakes can't hold you put the truck in park and the truck is sliding on dry concrete.

There are hills in the area where your not allowed to have a loaded dually (12,000lbs) on because it is too steep.

Like I said you guys have no clue what cherry red brakes are or seeing a wheel on fire from overheated brakes.

It is why I have to laugh because you flat landers have no clue you would leave a load of brown in your pants.

emlawncare
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Ok rat... If your such a genious when it comes to trucks, then why didnt you or your brother perform routine maintainence on this truck???? Thats why it didnt last. And believe me... a farm truck sees daily abuse way worse than you can imagine. If your trying to tell me that driving through rough feilds and hauling/towing more than the truck was designed to isnt hard on a truck at all then your not as smart as you think you are. Ask any farmer out there how hard farm work is on any truck. The only reason they last through farm work is because most farmers are smart enough to at least change the oil when it needs it. Thats the worst thing you can do to an engine. Yeah I'll give it to you that farm work isnt the hardest thing you can put your truck though. But if you never take care of them no truck will last very long. And thats what it sounds like happened to your brothers truck. Lack of maintainence and naturally it fell apart. BOO HOO! Maybe it will teach him a lesson to take care of his truck. :hammerhead:

igotdiesel2
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Define real work conditions? Pulling trailers that weigh over 10,000 pounds? I do that with mine. Sorry to tell you that Dodge trucks with the CTD are not junk. That is the reason I bought the Dodge. I am a Dodge guy trough and through BUT I also want value for my dollar and if the Dodge didn't pull its weight and the 10,000 pound trailer behind it It would be GONE! What is one of the #1 semi engines on the road? Is it the N14 by Cummins? I think it is and the CTD is just a mini version of it. So what if your friend the mechanic can rebuild a CTD in 4 hours. Does that mean it is not worthy of being a engine? I say it is real nice that you don't have to pull the body just to replace heads like the blue oval boys do. I'm done, blast away. -Jason

pitrack
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Define real work conditions? Pulling trailers that weigh over 10,000 pounds? I do that with mine. Sorry to tell you that Dodge trucks with the CTD are not junk. That is the reason I bought the Dodge. I am a Dodge guy trough and through BUT I also want value for my dollar and if the Dodge didn't pull its weight and the 10,000 pound trailer behind it It would be GONE! What is one of the #1 semi engines on the road? Is it the N14 by Cummins? I think it is and the CTD is just a mini version of it. So what if your friend the mechanic can rebuild a CTD in 4 hours. Does that mean it is not worthy of being a engine? I say it is real nice that you don't have to pull the body just to replace heads like the blue oval boys do. I'm done, blast away. -Jason

There's no use man. He starts these threads or turns other threads into a pissing match because he always has to start bashing Dodge's. All just to get his little panties wet. The funny part about it is he drives a 6.0. :laugh:

CASEBoy89
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
ok gravel rat explain to me why there are dedicated websites, forums, shops, and parts suppliers for Ford guys to convert over to a 5.9l cummins in their trucks? All the points you have brought up are nothing new, all trucks have little issues. No truck is perfect because if there was one there would only be one brand of truck that everyone bought. I feel that you act like you know everything when really you don't. I have never driven a better truck for pulling then a cummins equipped dodge. Its truly a great engine to have for pulling. Ive had both 6.0l and 5.9l cummins the powerstroke got 11 miles to the gallon towing in the flatlands and hills, and the cummins got betwenn 15-16 mpg towing. Its just a better engine.

pjlandscapes
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
everybody with the 94-97 Dodge Cummins trucks have the same problem.

and he bought that for $21,000 you said... sounds like alittle much for a truck thats atleast 9 years old dont'cha think?

SLR
04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Buy some bus passes for your brothers B-day!..his future truck with gratudiously thank him.

bobcat_ron
04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
And now I'd like to back up Gravel Rat and add fuel to this fire:
My Brother in law is head parts manager for Cummins in Canada (I wont say where for privacy reasons) he told me the 5.9's are junk, go with the 6.7 or bigger for "heavy hauling" in a pick up truck situation. Dodge trucks didn't last very long with him, he had one for about a year and it fell apart on the front end, and it was a 2wd.
Now for some real truck action, Cat CS433 compactor, 15,000 pounds, gross weight was 32,000 pounds. I doubt a 1 ton Dodge would handle this.

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/916f86a0.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/3b80adfe.jpg

Gravel Rat
04-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Holy chit did you grease up your hair and put on a rag when you hauled that load Ron :laugh:

bobcat_ron
04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Holy chit did you grease up your hair and put on a rag when you hauled that load Ron :laugh:

Yup, and I even got a temporary higher GVW for that, now I am going to get my GCVW up to 15,000 KGS, up from 11,500.
I did make a video of it while going up the infamous hill I use quite often, I will pull the older video clip off the HD tomorrow and edit it all together.
This trailer is paying off big time.

Gravel Rat
04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
If you have enough braking power I don't see why not raise the gvw to 15,000kgs the only problem every 6 months the truck has to go for inspection.

CASEBoy89
04-18-2010, 04:43 PM
the 5.9s certainly aren't junk, but i do agree that the 6.7s are better. I have driven a 6.7l and they flat out can haul.

12Valve
04-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Did you Canada guy's have a lead paint chip eating contest????

I don't even know where to begin????:hammerhead:

I can't wait for someone to comeout with a 6.0 conversion kit for my dodge. Im going to pull my 12v out and use it for a boat anchor.

Its absoluty horrible to have 414 at the rear wheels and get 19.2mpg @70mph. 246k miles, never left me stranded, never had the head off. The 5.9 is a bullet proof tried and true proven motor.

Stonewellmark
04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Right on 12 valve 300,000 on mine and still goin strong. Ford guys are just to stupid to realize they love garbage, Oh, and Bobcat ron I bet a 5500 dodge would spank that up your " infamous hill ". Actually Im wrong a Dodge guy would be smart enough to use a larger truck.

bobcat_ron
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Right on 12 valve 300,000 on mine and still goin strong. Ford guys are just to stupid to realize they love garbage, Oh, and Bobcat ron I bet a 5500 dodge would spank that up your " infamous hill ". Actually Im wrong a Dodge guy would be smart enough to use a larger truck.

Listen to me now and believe me later , but even when Dodge was still good here, no one really bought 5500 Dodge series, even the Sterling Bullets are rare, there are so many F450's and 550's on the road pulling big trailers like mine.

Moto52
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=bobcat_ron;3525612]And now I'd like to back up Gravel Rat and add fuel to this fire:
My Brother in law is head parts manager for Cummins in Canada (I wont say where for privacy reasons) he told me the 5.9's are junk, go with the 6.7 or bigger for "heavy hauling" in a pick up truck situation. Dodge trucks didn't last very long with him, he had one for about a year and it fell apart on the front end, and it was a 2wd.
Now for some real truck action, Cat CS433 compactor, 15,000 pounds, gross weight was 32,000 pounds. I doubt a 1 ton Dodge would handle this.
QUOTE]

saying the 5.9 in junk and thinking your 6.0 powerstroke is better, that is pretty bad. I do have to agree that with a dodge the only thing good on them is the engine the rest of the truck will fall apart. but if you think your 6.0 will out last a 5.9 that is just the dumbest thing i have ever heard of...

Gravel Rat
04-19-2010, 11:35 PM
The Dodge dealers didn't even bothering ordering 4500-5500 trucks and the Sterling/Ford dealers couldn't sell any Bullets there was no demand for them.

In this province of B.C. Ford outsells Dodge by a huge margin and I mean huge. Dodge dealers have one h*ll of a time to sell Dodge Cummins trucks. Dealer support at most Dodge dealers sucks they never have parts in stock it takes for ever to get anything done.

When you have resource industries that buy hundreds of trucks Dodge trucks isn't even a consideration.

Moto52
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
When you have resource industries that buy hundreds of trucks Dodge trucks isn't even a consideration.

Yea I know first hand i've working in the oil sands of northing alberta and see the fleet of trucks they buy, and they are almost all fords with the triton and a few 6.0 and 6.4s. and all these trucks on my job site never get shut off they run 24 hours a day but the 6.0s are always busy in the shop broken thats why they stick with the triton..

Gravel Rat
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Most of the bush trucks are gas powered Fords because they spend all their life in the bush buy them when they are only couple years old and straight to the bush. They rarely see a paved road the only time they come out of the bush is when the camp is moved to another area. I have seen old 78-79 Fords no rust they were bought new never used on the road.

A few forestry contractors run Dodge trucks trucks are only 2-3 years old and they are junk the interior looks like it is 15-20 years old seat fabric worn off.

The big problem with Dodge once it breaks down you better hope you have another vehical to drive because it will take 2-3 maybe a week or longer to get parts for it. Then you have to take it to a independant repair shop to have any engine work done to it because most Dodge dealers can't work on diesel trucks.

Moto52
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I totally agree that a dodge truck in general is junk, they only thing good on a dodge is the motor. but it still find it funny as hell that you think your 6.0 powerstroke is a good reliable engine.

Gravel Rat
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
There are many people where I'am at own 6.0s and have had nothing but good luck with them. I have had good luck with mine I own 2 6.0s.

Hoss27
04-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I love my 12 valve. The truck is falling apart around it but I deal with it until I can manage to put it in a Ford. FYI the 5.9 is sleevable. Saying a motor that has several examples going a million miles, with proper maintenance, is a POS is laughable. Saying the 12 valve can only handle 215hp is just plain ignorant.