PDA

View Full Version : Bought new house with 4 acres of mowing... Need suggestions on what to buy?

GosuPaintballer
03-30-2010, 08:54 PM
My wife and myself just bought a new house. Will have just under 4 acres of grass to cut. I think i want to get some ZTC with about a 60 inch deck. Main problem i'm having is do i buy a commercial series or a home series mower? I may possibly try to mow a neighbor or two's grass as well if there up for paying me enough? My main concern is buying something that will last for many years to come and will be a good investment vs paying someone year after year to cut my grass. Suggestions on what to buy please???

JB1
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.hustlerturf.com/

http://www.deere.com/en_US/groundscare/homepage/comm_mow/index.html?comm_home

http://www.exmark.com/ride.htm

eatonpcat
03-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Why not buy a goat???

shotgunshane
03-30-2010, 09:27 PM
What is your budget and what dealers are close to you?

Most of the commercial mowers have similar, if not the same, parts like spindles, trans, engines etc. Just overall design and implementation is different. And all will last you decades as a homeowner with proper care, so dealer support should weigh heavily.

4 acres? I'd stay away from residential. They typically aren't made to take a beating and will cost you more in the long run.

GosuPaintballer
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
there are several dealers near me that carry several brands of mowers... i'll list the one's i know off the top of my head.. toro, grasshopper, scag, walker, john deere, gravely, arian, hustler, i know there's more but just can't think right now, lol.

GosuPaintballer
03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Why not buy a goat???

Already asked for one and the wife said NO WAY! lol

GosuPaintballer
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
As far as my budget goes... i'm kinda looking at it this way, i want a mower that's gonna last me a long time, and the prices i'm seeing for a home owner ZTC are around 5 grand where the commercial ZTC's are around 7500 - 8000. But if paying that extra 3 grand is gonna get me another 5 - 10 or more years use out of the mower then i could see doing that, but if there both gonna last close to the same amount of time before having to buy a new one anyways, then i'd be better off with the home owner's edition and save that extra 3 grand!

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Buy a used commercial ztr with under 500 hours. Or buy a used tractor and pull behind rotary you'll find other uses for that. You will be able to find something well below 5k on CL in either the ZTR or Tractor.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1668279031.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1668125433.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1636397338.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1649518295.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1649107453.html

this http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1646126408.html
with this http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1666714046.html

JustDamon
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I was in the same boat as you and just recently purchased a Gravely zero turn 152XDZi. Wish I had done this years ago. With two young children time savings alone are worth it to me not to mention cut quality. I mow my yard and take care of two others for family (about 4.5 acres total). My yard is 1.5 acres and I now mow it in about 45 min where it took up to 2 hours before depending on how deep the grass was. Yard looks much better too. I paid $6700 otd and spent another $180 on ocdc. Money well spent for a mower that I'm sure will last me 20 yrs. if not more. Good luck with your decision.

lukem
03-31-2010, 07:45 AM
My wife and myself just bought a new house. Will have just under 4 acres of grass to cut. I think i want to get some ZTC with about a 60 inch deck. Main problem i'm having is do i buy a commercial series or a home series mower? I may possibly try to mow a neighbor or two's grass as well if there up for paying me enough? My main concern is buying something that will last for many years to come and will be a good investment vs paying someone year after year to cut my grass. Suggestions on what to buy please???

Hi,

I was/am in exactly the same situation as you. New house, big yard, possibility of mowing neighbor's yard too. My total mowing is about 4 acres. 42" box store lawn tractor wasn't going to get the job done.

I bought a very lightly used (75 hours) commercial mower at a deep discount over new and haven't looked back. The extra up-front cost of commercial over residential was worth it knowing I can throw anything at this mower and know I'm not abusing it and it will last for a very long time.

As for which brand, they're all good enough for what you'll be doing. Just find the best deal and make sure you have access (maybe not super easy) access to parts. Dealer support isn't as important for guys like us vs. the LCOs. If our mower is down a few days waiting on parts, what's the harm. We're not making a living off of it.

AI Inc
03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Ya need to buy a bag of wildflower mix.

STCL01
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
I have almost five acres to mow. I had a 48" Sears tractor that kept blowing engines. Briggs ELS.... but that's another story. Got a 42" Yazoo when I bought this place. Great little mower, but it was taking me 4 1/2 hour just to mow. I wanted the same thing that you do. I wanted a mower that would last me a very long time with decent maintenance, and would shorten my time on the yard. I found a Hustler Super Z 60" w/ 31 hp Kawasaki that the dealer had out on loan to a local ISD. 20 hours on it, and I got a good discount. I can now mow in about 2 hours. Yard looks good. Is this mower overkill for my yard, yes. Will it last. Yes. Worth every penny.

betmr
03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Only one other person mentioned a small utility tractor. I call your attention to this because, with a property that size, you should ask yourself if you have other needs, besides mowing. Plowing driveway, blowing snow, blowing leaves, pulling a trailer, etc., etc., Most "Z" turn mowers are pretty much dedicated mowing machines. I'm not saying there are absolutely no attachments for them, but they are quite limited, and tend to spend all but the mowing season, in storage.

You just might be better off looking at small utility tractor's, for their versatility. Or even a small "Out Front" mower, as they can accommodate quite a few implements, as well.

But if mowing is the only task you have at hand, by all means, a ZTR is great. Myself, I prefer TORO, as they are normally great machines, have an Excellent service network, and are priced right, for what you get. I suggest you use a dealer, & stay far away from the big box stores, as in...Sold, you're out the door and out of the mind.

GosuPaintballer
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Alright guys i actually took a day off work to do nothing but shop around for mowers and gather info on them. Mowers i've looked are (and these are all with 60/61 inch decks on them)... Ferris IS 1500ZX, Ferris IS 2000Z, Hustler Z XR7, Toro Z500, Snapper Pro S200x, Scag Tiger Cub, and Scag Wildcat. Any and all opinions needed/wanted, especially those of you that may have used or own any of the above i listed. Thanks!

GosuPaintballer
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Only one other person mentioned a small utility tractor. I call your attention to this because, with a property that size, you should ask yourself if you have other needs, besides mowing. Plowing driveway, blowing snow, blowing leaves, pulling a trailer, etc., etc., Most "Z" turn mowers are pretty much dedicated mowing machines. I'm not saying there are absolutely no attachments for them, but they are quite limited, and tend to spend all but the mowing season, in storage.

You just might be better off looking at small utility tractor's, for their versatility. Or even a small "Out Front" mower, as they can accommodate quite a few implements, as well.

But if mowing is the only task you have at hand, by all means, a ZTR is great. Myself, I prefer TORO, as they are normally great machines, have an Excellent service network, and are priced right, for what you get. I suggest you use a dealer, & stay far away from the big box stores, as in...Sold, you're out the door and out of the mind.

Just to clear things up, yes mowing is my only concern, but thanks for the advice!

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
If you have a Cub cadet dealer look at there Tank it will be a lot cheaper than those you mentioned and have attachments if you ever need to plow or pull a trailer.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_43279_33803_600002_-1_image

Personally I would never buy a brand new machine because there are so many deals to be had with machines with less than 200 hours around. They loose there value faster than a new KIA.

GosuPaintballer
03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
If you have a Cub cadet dealer look at there Tank it will be a lot cheaper than those you mentioned and have attachments if you ever need to plow or pull a trailer.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_43279_33803_600002_-1_image

Personally I would never buy a brand new machine because there are so many deals to be had with machines with less than 200 hours around. They loose there value faster than a new KIA.

I just did a quick search for prices and deals (including Ebay) for the Cub cadet Tank 60" and all the prices i'm finding are with-in $100 of most of everything else i previously listed that i went and looked at today!

As far as the value going bye bye on a new machine, that doesn't bother me one bit as i don't ever plan on selling it. Like i said i wanna find something that's gonna last me 15-20 or hopefully more years. That's why i'm looking at the commercial grade units over the homeowner units. I wanna get the most bang for my buck. Talked with several friends of mine that professionaly cut grass for a living and they said for the amount of mowing i'm gonna be doing, a homeowner version would last me an average of 6-8 years vs a commercial version should last me 15-20 years easy as long as i take care of it.

As far as if i ever have to pull anything, i have a 4 wheeler and also have access to my dad's Kubota tractor if i ever need anything big done.. (bush hog, plowing, etc.)

dwost
03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
http://www.badboymowers.com/view/badboy-mowers

GosuPaintballer
03-31-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.badboymowers.com/view/badboy-mowers

Already checked into BB and there are no dealers close to me except for that one unit sold by Tractor Supply. I did go by there a couple days ago and they let me try it out. Needless to say i was not impressed in the least bit and actually was turned off by it. Dunno if Tractor Supply's BadBoys are the same sold by an actual BadBoy dealer, but Tractor Supply's version they sale IMO is junk!

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 11:49 PM
What were the prices on the tank you found? I find it hard to believe the tank was within 100 bucks compared to the Ferris
If I were you I would be brand blind and just get the best priced machine that can mow the fastest. They all have the same pumps engines and motors just about.

GosuPaintballer
03-31-2010, 11:59 PM
IS 1500ZX for $6900
IS 2000Z for $8500

Tank = http://cgi.ebay.com/Cub-Cadet-Commercial-Zero-Turn-Mower-M60-TANK_W0QQitemZ220517623298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3357dfe602

dwost
04-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Already checked into BB and there are no dealers close to me except for that one unit sold by Tractor Supply. I did go by there a couple days ago and they let me try it out. Needless to say i was not impressed in the least bit and actually was turned off by it. Dunno if Tractor Supply's BadBoys are the same sold by an actual BadBoy dealer, but Tractor Supply's version they sale IMO is junk!

Nope, completely different models. For homeowner anything commercial will suit you just fine. All of the units you mentioned should serve you well for a lifetime. Based on that statement, I think you'd be better off with a "name brand" as it will make you feel better :)

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Nope, completely different models. For homeowner anything commercial will suit you just fine. All of the units you mentioned should serve you well for a lifetime. Based on that statement, I think you'd be better off with a "name brand" as it will make you feel better :)

k thanks, and i felt 99.9% sure the models had to be different as i just couldn't imagine a "commercial mower" being that awful as the one Tractor Supply carried... I do wish there was a BB dealership with-in reasonable driving distance from me so i could take a look at their mowers as well vs all the others i previously listed.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
8500 for that tank they're nuts. The dealer here sells them for 6800 out the door.

betmr
04-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Just something to consider. In this business, dealers come and go, as well as pick up and drop brands according to sales. I have found that TORO is so popular, and their Nation wide network is so big, that anyone can go out of business, and there will be another dealer near enough to pick up where they left off. In today's economy, I can picture a number of dealers who will not survive. Toro is a huge world wide company, that in many cases, sets the standards for other companies to follow.

If you look around you may notice that more Toro's are doing golf courses and municipalities than anything else. There is a reason for this...Customer Service= Excellent, Parts= Excellent, Repair Service= Excellent (from any dealers I have ever dealt with). In my opinion, there is no way you can go wrong with TORO mowing equipment. :clapping:

waterman1971
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I would at least look at the Kubota zd-21. Ours is bulletproof.

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
8500 for that tank they're nuts. The dealer here sells them for 6800 out the door.

so is the tank more along the lines of the Ferris 1500ZX or the 2000Z? Just curious...

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I would at least look at the Kubota zd-21. Ours is bulletproof.

i started to until i heard some price quotes on them which were much higher then the quotes on the Toro of equal size/make. I also looked into the Grasshopper line as well, but OMG!! They want a fortune for those things! Do Grasshoppers have some kind of special gold plating or something on them i don't know about? LOL

STCL01
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Still a fan of my Hustler Super Z. Fast, powerful, and big. Kawasaki engines are good. It's just a well built machine. With that being said, any other comparable machine will do just as good. In my area the best dealers sell Hustler and Dixie. I liked the Hustler over the Dixie. Personal choice. Even though you are a residential user you need to consider the service. All things break. You don't want to be out of a machine for a couple of weeks or longer in the middle of the summer. You want fast, competent service.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I would consider the 52" because of the price of blades. Not sure where the Tank falls because I don't see much of a difference between the 1500 and 2000 series ferris. The tank is 2mph faster though

lordfam
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I was in a similar situation to yours a few years ago - five acres to mow and tired of spending 4-5 hours on it every weekend. I had a Gravely 20hp tractor with a 60" deck. It was way too slow.

I bought a Hustler Super Z with a 25hp Kawasaki engine and a 60" deck and cut my mowing time in half immediately. With practice and experience, I've since pared it to about two hours. I can now do my mowing after work, freeing up the weekends for other activities.

This machine wasn't cheap, but I have never regretted spending the extra money on this model. This will be my seventh season with the Super Z and it's barely broken in, compared to the amount of use a commercial mower would have. I expect it to last longer than I'll have a use for it.

I can't say that it's better than any of the other brands you're looking at because I never had any of them. I can say that if you want to cut a lot of grass in a hurry, the Super Z is hard to beat.

Keep the under deck clean and the blades sharp and you won't have any problems doing a professional-looking job on your lawn.

clydebusa
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Why not buy a goat???

God, I was going to say that!!!!!!!!:laugh:

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, looks like things have been put on hold for the time being.. The soon to be wife found out what kind of $ i was looking at spending on a commercial grade mower and flew off the deep end and said i was crazy. So i think i'll let her cut the yard a couple times on a regular riding mower and then see what she says about it when it takes her around 5 or so hours to do it.

betmr
04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Just another point for you to consider. Commercial mowers are built to run all day, every day for like 7-9 months a year, some time even more. Also they have to take into consideration that they are many many times operated by people who don't own them, or care how they abuse them. It's kinda like a truck. An F-150 is a nice truck, but man, think how a Peterbuilt will last....Get it?

Perhaps the old lady is right. A good quality Residential ZTR could be the best bang for your buck.You own it, you take care of it, and you might be an old man, teaching your kid to run it on your lawn, years down the road. You would be surprised at some of the abuse our equipment is put through. But as a home owner, you have control over that. You have a hidden obstacle in your yard, you fix it, or know of it. We are often on unfamiliar territory. A residential mower can be as good as you care for it. I'm not saying you have to baby it. but you know both the machine and your property.

In my opinion, I think your future wife is guiding you right. You don't need to buy so much more than you need. And just for laughs....You don't gotta own the Cadillac of Mowers, to be a Lawn Guy to me...Welcome to the club!!!

Besides, she might have other aspirations for that money...Can anyone say, KIDS ? (Just Kidding)

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
There is no way a homeowner grade machine will last more than 2 years cutting that size lawn straight through. The engine would be wore out from the heat.

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Just another point for you to consider. Commercial mowers are built to run all day, every day for like 7-9 months a year, some time even more. Also they have to take into consideration that they are many many times operated by people who don't own them, or care how they abuse them. It's kinda like a truck. An F-150 is a nice truck, but man, think how a Peterbuilt will last....Get it?

Perhaps the old lady is right. A good quality Residential ZTR could be the best bang for your buck.You own it, you take care of it, and you might be an old man, teaching your kid to run it on your lawn, years down the road. You would be surprised at some of the abuse our equipment is put through. But as a home owner, you have control over that. You have a hidden obstacle in your yard, you fix it, or know of it. We are often on unfamiliar territory. A residential mower can be as good as you care for it. I'm not saying you have to baby it. but you know both the machine and your property.

In my opinion, I think your future wife is guiding you right. You don't need to buy so much more than you need. And just for laughs....You don't gotta own the Cadillac of Mowers, to be a Lawn Guy to me...Welcome to the club!!!

Besides, she might have other aspirations for that money...Can anyone say, KIDS ? (Just Kidding)

Yeh, i actually have a 7 year old son, but she wants a child or two of her own some day as well. Yeh, i think in her mind the money (mine to begin with), should be spent on things of her choosing, not mine.:rolleyes:

GosuPaintballer
04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
There is no way a homeowner grade machine will last more than 2 years cutting that size lawn straight through. The engine would be wore out from the heat.

I was thinking a homeowner grade mower would last me somewhere around 5 or 6 years and a commercial grade would last me 15-20 years if not more? This is a topic i'm EXTREMELY curious in! So info on how homeowner grades vs commercial grades is wanted/needed badly please.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 11:23 PM
3 hours of mowing with a lawn tractor to mow 4 acres with a 60" deck. Almost all tractors come with the courage engine. Plastic oil pump gears and 3 hours of use with an air cooled engine just think about it. The mower might last 5 years but the engine won't. 90% of those tractors are for 1/4 acres lots in the suburbs. Even if you get a consumer ZTR same engine same problem and they are over 4k for a 60" residential model. Just get a 48"+ walk behind with a sit down sulky and be done. That would run about 3k brand new.

bradsd
04-02-2010, 02:12 AM
I think if he buys a heavy residential grade mower he could get a good 10 years out of it. Say in the 5k range with a 60" deck and a decent size KOH or Kaw.

STCL01
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I feel your pain. I was in the same boat. The fiance` didn't want to spend that much money (oh, and it is no longer your money simply because you make it). I spent most of the summer mowing with the 42" Yazoo. Great little mower with a great cut. 4 1/2 hours to mow, and another 1 1/2 with a weed eater and edger, then add another 30 minutes to blow everything off and another 2 hours to trim bushes and clean up the mess, when that is necessary. It's a big property. So my neighbor had a 54" Dixie, and his brother bought a 60" Dixie. He brought the 60" over and said mow your yard with this. Taking it easy, because it's his mower, I mowed in 2 1/2 hours. After that I pushed a little harder on the mower with her. Finally found the one that I wanted and just bought it. It was a little quiet around the house for a while, but in the end I have an extra couple of hours a week to spend with her. It also allows me to mow after work and I don't have to spend a couple of afternoons mowing and then finish up on Saturday morning. It really saves my weekends which equals more family time.

By the commercial if you can afford it. Easy to operate, better controls, better components, longer life. AND, you can have a good service dealer handy. If you buy some of the residential mowers you are looking at spotty service, and maybe not even an authorized service center in your area. That's just my story, and my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

betmr
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Have you given any thought to making your lawn a bit smaller? Maybe some big mulch beds with trees, shrubs & flowers? Or maybe, just let some of it revert back to nature? Why do you need five acres of lawn. Think of the time and money you could save by that. To be honest with you, if you are a first time home buyer, I'm sure you can't wait to get into the whole lawn care thing. But, For many people, that gets old pretty darn quick. A couple of years from now, you may not want to spend your Saturdays mowing your huge lawn. I can think of hundreds of things to do on a Saturday, that have nothing to do with lawnmowers. Maybe think of some ways to cut down on the amount of work. And just think of all the other things that go along with a healthy stand of grass...Fertilizing, Herbiciding, Insecticiding, Watering, Aerating, De-thatching, etc. etc.

Maybe make your lawn a little more of a managable size. Just a thought.

GosuPaintballer
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Have you given any thought to making your lawn a bit smaller? Maybe some big mulch beds with trees, shrubs & flowers? Or maybe, just let some of it revert back to nature? Why do you need five acres of lawn. Think of the time and money you could save by that. To be honest with you, if you are a first time home buyer, I'm sure you can't wait to get into the whole lawn care thing. But, For many people, that gets old pretty darn quick. A couple of years from now, you may not want to spend your Saturdays mowing your huge lawn. I can think of hundreds of things to do on a Saturday, that have nothing to do with lawnmowers. Maybe think of some ways to cut down on the amount of work. And just think of all the other things that go along with a healthy stand of grass...Fertilizing, Herbiciding, Insecticiding, Watering, Aerating, De-thatching, etc. etc.

Maybe make your lawn a little more of a managable size. Just a thought.

I hear what your getting at, but let me point out a few things right quick just FYI... This is my 2nd home, i've lived in my previous house for 10 years but only had less then half an acre of grass to mow. During the summer the business i work for i cut grass all day on mondays and tuesdays and have been doing that for many many years now. So no i'm not in the least bit eager at all to be cutting grass, lol. As far as my property at my new house i'm moving into goes, the 4 acres of grass is a very small portion of my entire property and there are already flower beds, etc. on it. The whole property is 28 acres and only the front 4 acres is the yard (thank goodness it's not more and the rest is wooded!). So no i'm not at all looking forward to mowing 4 acres, but it's a lot better then mowing 28 acres! And yeh, i have a lot of other things i can do with my weekends especially since i have a 7 year old son!

topsites
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Well...

I can tell you that whichever model of mower you get, cutting a neighbor or two
isn't going to do much of anything beyond causing extra wear and tear...

Not trying to tell you what or how to do things but I have a commercial series
with a 60" deck and with well over 40 customers I scrambled for 3 years to get
that thing paid off.

Granted, the economic downturn wasn't very helpful.

Whether I'd recommend a homeowner or residential grade machine is another story.

So it's entirely up to you but I would speak with a dealer that's local to you
and have this entire discussion with those folks, perhaps ask around to see if
any friends, relatives, or acquaintances can recommend one so you don't have
to weed out bad apples, too.

But that's what I would do, go to a local outdoor power equipment dealer and ask them what they think.

And good luck!

betmr
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Hope you get what your lookin' for. I'll just finish by saying as I said before, I like TORO, excellent service, huge network, and great machines.

Best of luck with your new home!!!:drinkup:

GosuPaintballer
04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Well...

I can tell you that whichever model of mower you get, cutting a neighbor or two
isn't going to do much of anything beyond causing extra wear and tear...

Not trying to tell you what or how to do things but I have a commercial series
with a 60" deck and with well over 40 customers I scrambled for 3 years to get
that thing paid off.

Granted, the economic downturn wasn't very helpful.

Whether I'd recommend a homeowner or residential grade machine is another story.

So it's entirely up to you but I would speak with a dealer that's local to you
and have this entire discussion with those folks, perhaps ask around to see if
any friends, relatives, or acquaintances can recommend one so you don't have
to weed out bad apples, too.

But that's what I would do, go to a local outdoor power equipment dealer and ask them what they think.

And good luck!

thanks, yeh i've had this same conversation with several local dealers, several friends and two good friends that do the lawn care thing for a living. Just came on here and posted to get more suggestions and advice!

GosuPaintballer
04-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Hope you get what your lookin' for. I'll just finish by saying as I said before, I like TORO, excellent service, huge network, and great machines.

Best of luck with your new home!!!:drinkup:

thanks, yeh our company bought a toro z back in 2003 and we've had good luck out of it with zero problems with the exception of throwing a belt off every once in a while, but i'd expect that to happen with any mower sooner or later...

geminibuddy
04-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I was in the same dilimena. Is your yard flat? Relatively smooth? Remember the speed on the ZTR may not be allowed to run "all out" if it is beating you to death. How often you gonna cut? What height/finish? I bought Kubota ZD326- 60" cut. Debated on the belly mower JD or Kubota with finishing mower, attachments, bucket, etc. There are days when I wish I had the tractor for a few hours- but I just borrow one/rent what I need. The overall speed I save on mowing with the dedicated mower and the finish quality outweighs those limited uses. I maneuver and mow in 1 hour what it would take 1.5-2 hours with hydrostatic tractor hooked to a finish mower. Kubota dealer is less than 2 miles from the house. Diesel motor. Mac Daddy. HA! More time with the kids in the pool is what its all about.

geminibuddy
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Dude- you need a tractor in the mix- or just buy both. ha! My dad has MF tractor with all the trimmings plus he got a Walker for mowing- he has 80 acre farm with some area he mows plus 2 other locations he mows so a dedicaetd mower is what he needs for ease of transport, speed of mowing, bagging with the Walker. I have Kubota mower only- mulcher. Big machine. I thought you had 4 acres total. With 28 you need bucket, post hole digger, flail mower, bush hog, tiller, all the toys! ha!.