PDA

View Full Version : your favorite core aerator

grassmasterswilson
03-30-2010, 09:38 PM
So the next piece of equipment I need to add to my arsenal is a core aerator. I currently must rent a clausen from a local dealer, but don't do much aerating. Would love to add that service on a more regular basis. I do a lot of aerating in the fall for fescue seeding and then some in the late spring for bermuda/centipede.

What brand? Size? Model? Would love to find one that doesn't wear you out since I am a solo with only part time help. Obviously if I could afford it I would get a ride on, but just don't have the aeration customer base for that.

lawn king
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
The lawn solutions machine is the best walk behind unit on the market. Its productive, reliable, quiet, easy to service & easy on the operator. You can perform aerations all day long and not feel like a train wreck @ sundown. The only thing i dont like about the machine is the small fuel tank. My favorite aerator is my woods pl72, i operate that unit from the climate controlled cab of my tractor!

Exact Rototilling
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

green_mark
04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Our favorite with our applicators is the turfco.

ProSeasons
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
The big TurfCo Turn Aer 6 is amazing with the sulky.

GreenUtah
04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
the one you own outright should be your favorite. The old style ryans and their classen clones were very reliable and easy to operate, especially in the more stable 26 in series. The bluebirds probably pulled the best cores for a small machine, but were awkward and felt unstable on hills. Of the bigger machines, the hydraulic powered monsters (like the old LA6) require a trailer on their own, but can punch cement if needed..lol.
BUT I'll say it again, the one you can own outright will be your favorite. It will give you an advantage over those that have to rent, not only in cost, but the convenience (and time advantage of not going to the rental yard) of loading and aerating whenever you have a sold job, not needing to bundle a bunch for the day rentals. This is a machine that won't be out to work every day all season, so keep that in mind. After every spring, there are piles of them for sale...find a good used one that you feel comfortable operating, storing and maintaining and you'll be set for years to come.

GreenUtah
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I will add one more thing. If you have a rider and your props are wide and open, it's not difficult at all to have a hitch welded in, then you can use a towbehind. Much faster and with no additional engine, much less costly. Most midsized mowers have plenty of power for this task and no, it won't spike your hydraulics. You may have to modify the tow behind for the tines to spin independently for a zero turn machine or you'll tear the turf to kingdom come, so keep that in mind.

lawn king
04-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I have lesco 30 (wb) a lawn solutions (wb) and a woods pl72 (3 point hitch), all paid for. Aeration is a money maker for sure but it also improves lawns big time, making your lawns better than the competition! Today i had 10 aerations scheduled, two neighbors hired me on the spot and i came home with a nice little wad of greenbacks in my pocket to boot!

thom
04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I will add one more thing. If you have a rider and your props are wide and open, it's not difficult at all to have a hitch welded in, then you can use a towbehind. Much faster and with no additional engine, much less costly. Most midsized mowers have plenty of power for this task and no, it won't spike your hydraulics. You may have to modify the tow behind for the tines to spin independently for a zero turn machine or you'll tear the turf to kingdom come, so keep that in mind.

I'm glad you mentioned tow behind aerators.I am looking at buying an agri-fab
48" pull behind plug aerator.

GreenUtah
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Thom,
the thing you'll need to know about the agrifab models is that the tines are spaced very far apart, which will require you to make multiple passes (not the best plan for commercially doing it) compared to one of the commercial derived units by someone like Classen. Also, the tine is lighter duty, more prone to bending and wear. The frame is probably sufficient to hold enough weight to get good depth. Bought one of these about 6 years ago for my dad's 30k lawn to be towed by his small deere. See what your local rental yards are using, that will give you an idea on not only what they consider can take a commercial style beating, but what they can get parts and/or service on locally. That also goes for the original poster on his quest for a machine.

lawn king
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
The agri-fab will not endure commercial use.