PDA

View Full Version : Do some of you really wax mowers???

South Florida Lawns
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
For real? Who has time for that? I was reading an older thread and everybody chimed in at the same time saying how they always wax them. Jeez I'd rather be using my time to get more customers than buffing a lawn mower. Guess its all the part timers we have on here.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't even wash mine the rain at 50mph does a fine job.

nepatsfan
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
We wax our mowers while you are making 4,000 posts. Once in a while its good to wax the mowers. Keeps them from rusting so easily. I try to do mine twice a year.

DLAWNS
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't wax them, but as you might have seen in my thread I wiped em down with fluid film while I was treating underneath them. It protects the mower and the extra shine is an added bonus! lol It took us for all four mowers about 20 minutes....

topsites
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Every day I take each and every machine completely apart down to every last
little nut and bolt, then I meticulously hand wash every part with warm soapy
water and a toothbrush, once that is done I towel dry the parts and put it all
back together, then I apply a triple coat of Carnauba wax to it.

nepatsfan
03-30-2010, 10:42 PM

I like that....very meticulous

Lugnut
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
I waxed all mine this winter. Wash them regularly throughout the year but no time for waxing then

rcslawncare
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Nothing wrong with taking care of your equipment, but I don't wax, just wash off and blow off machine.

Think Green
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't wax our equipment, however I will wash and clean off and out any mud and caked on dirt. When it comes to waxing, there isn't really anything to wax on our Exmark's and Walker's.!!!!!!!
When I see a completely clean machine or one that is bright and shiny, then it is a sign that this machine is new and on the show room floor. Dirty machines are a sign that someone is using their equipment to make money. You look at our engines and they are clean...........that is a different story!!!!

Hawg City Lawns
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
i waxed a tractor i once had thats was the last machine i did that with now my dixon is lucky to get a quick rinse

soloscaperman
03-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I wax mine once a month so the paint never fades. The gas tanks and the seat I use that dashboard stuff that shines it and is uv and water proof. I always get compliments from people. Taking care of your mower shows that you care and the resale value helps a lot, trust me.

Also cleaning your equipment you have a better time spotting any problems.

rain man
03-31-2010, 12:53 AM
We throw dirt on ours so that we appear to be very busy.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
I wax mine at the end of every season, to try and protect the paint from fading as much as I can.

Equipment appearance is important to me.

LR3
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
I waxed all mine this winter. Wash them regularly throughout the year but no time for waxing then

x2, but I do wax once or twice during the season as well. Equipment appearance is important to me as well.

Southern Pride
03-31-2010, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't take it as far as waxing unless I had a brand new navigator or something. I do wash, and blow. Equipment appearance is very important to me as well.

Then again I keep all my stuff meticulously clean truck, fourwheel, bike, etc. (part of company image)
Good habit.

Example, my truck is lifted all black with red. My trailer is black, equipment red exmark, redmax, trimmer racks.
Image is huge and when you pull up with that versus an old rusted truck and trailer with rust and wooded sides on your trailer you just look like someone that's going to do a half ass job. Make sense?

clydebusa
03-31-2010, 05:29 AM
I power wash, blow off. On some instances take some spray paint and touch up. I do keep them clean and do get some comments. Image has sold a few jobs for me.

lotsagrass
03-31-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't wax them, but as you might have seen in my thread I wiped em down with fluid film while I was treating underneath them. It protects the mower and the extra shine is an added bonus! lol It took us for all four mowers about 20 minutes....

I'll second that. I've been wiping FF on mine and after I'm done mowing I can rinse off the mower and it looks great. Much better for rust protection too...which wax won't really help with. Get it into the cracks, etc. Does a great job...and I really don't have to use much either.

Frue
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't take it as far as waxing unless I had a brand new navigator or something. I do wash, and blow. Equipment appearance is very important to me as well.

Then again I keep all my stuff meticulously clean truck, fourwheel, bike, etc. (part of company image)
Good habit.

Example, my truck is lifted all black with red. My trailer is black, equipment red exmark, redmax, trimmer racks.
Image is huge and when you pull up with that versus an old rusted truck and trailer with rust and wooded sides on your trailer you just look like someone that's going to do a half ass job. Make sense?

I can understand your points. When you get to the point when you are running 6 full days and the only day off is Sunday, I am kinda curious how clean everything will be. I average about 600-850 hours on a machine a year. I used to keep those things spotless. Then I got busy. Part of me longs to keep them like i used to but now I am just to busy to do it.

Lazer Cut
03-31-2010, 08:44 AM
I like waxing my grandstand :)... i've had many compliments on how clean my truck, trailer, and mower is... they said they really like how I take care of my things...

They recommend me and I have gotten 3 other houses in a row... so I take care of my things... I wax maybe once or twice a month... wash it when I wax it unless i get it really dirty one week then I'll wash it earlier then I wax it...

I only have like 30 hours though on my mower... my truck is always clean when I'm mowing, maybe not knock your eyes out, but its gonna be nice and clean 90% of the time... to me a good company image+great work= success

JeffNY
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Call me crazy.
Last night, I applied a coat of Klasse All In One, followed by a coat of Klasse Final Gloss Sealant, followed by P21S.

Is it bad to keep your $12k machine looking new? Plus, I kind of enjoy detailing.

SchnabelLawnCare
03-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Good habit.

What's up with the Deere and Echo then?

JB1
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
i like to wax mine as well, and really looks good when i take the buffer to it, not a better way to spend a friday nite than with my buffer and mower.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
12K?

That thing looks identical to my Lazer AS, and it sure as heck wasn't 12K.

JeffNY
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
12K?

That thing looks identical to my Lazer AS, and it sure as heck wasn't 12K.

striper, ocd, tax.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 10:37 AM
4K for all that? Mine was 7800...
Posted via Mobile Device

redskinsfan34
03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
End of every week my Lazer Z gets washed and blowed off. I hand dry the remaining water (seat, tanks, deck). Everything metal gets a coat of FF after that. Off season the deck gets touched up. If you take pride in your equipment's appearance you'll take pride in the appearance of a customer's lawn.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 10:56 AM
What's FF?
Posted via Mobile Device

shooterm
03-31-2010, 11:01 AM
I've seen people wax dozers and people sell 50k remodels strictly on the fact they showed up with a well cared for vehicle. There is just as many attention to detail people as cheap bastards.

nepatsfan
03-31-2010, 11:02 AM
What's FF?
Posted via Mobile Device

fluid film. supposed to stop grass from sticking and stop rust. never used it but I have heard good things about it on here.

JeffNY
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
4K for all that? Mine was 7800...
Posted via Mobile Device

You got a good deal. We established in another exmark thread that the dealers here hare $1500-2000 higher than every where else.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Dang dude that sucks.

FF, I should have known, I have a can on the shelf! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Dano50
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) does a heck of a job protecting a paint job and shining it up. Just one of a million different applications. If you haven't tried it and live in the U.S., just shoot me a PM with your name and address and I'll ship out a sample can for free.

JeffNY
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) does a heck of a job protecting a paint job and shining it up. Just one of a million different applications. If you haven't tried it and live in the U.S., just shoot me a PM with your name and address and I'll ship out a sample can for free.

Does it really keep the grass from building up under the deck? Or would that be wishful thinking? I love the stuff, I use it on just about everything, but I've never sprayed it under the deck. I figured that would last as long as spraying it on the front of my plow.

Dano50
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
The trick is to start off with a clean deck and apply a good amount of product. Here is a link to some of the best recommendations from actual users: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=309732

BGClawns101
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
i just bought a mower form the guy and it was a mess i cleaned it up and it looks brand new. Armorall (idk if that how its spelled) but it was wheel cleaner and it worked great on the mower then i shined it up with WD40 or fluid film

Mike Blevins
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I wax my mowers during the winter months when things are slow. It takes alot of time but I have alot of time in the winter. My Turf Tiger is setting in the garage as i'm writing this with 5 coats on it. And when the end of the season comes this year i will clean it up and it will still look like the day i bought it. People don't understand that wax helps from fading, it also keeps grass from staining and sticking. Waxing also makes cleaning one up a helluva alot easier . Just wash it off and dry. Heck I know people that don't wash their trucks let alone their mowers!:dizzy: It also reflects in the work you do. If you don't wash you equipment or vehicles I wonder how well you wash your ass, or how clean your own home is?? Beleive me there is alot to say about people that take care fo their stuff. But there is also alot to say about people who don't.:laugh:

mowerbrad
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't wax my mowers often but I have done it about once a year. Helps to keep dirt from sticking and makes the deck last longer (less rusting). Just makes blowing off debris on the mower at the end of the day a little easier. My new mower will definately be getting a couple coats of wax early on along with Fluid Film under the deck regularly.

Bulldog22
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I only wax when the hairs get really gnarley :)

tmanmi
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Call me crazy.
Last night, I applied a coat of Klasse All In One, followed by a coat of Klasse Final Gloss Sealant, followed by P21S.

Is it bad to keep your $12k machine looking new? Plus, I kind of enjoy detailing.

If you want to keep you machine looking new quit running into sh$t with your trim edge. :laugh:

doubleedge
03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
For real? Who has time for that? I was reading an older thread and everybody chimed in at the same time saying how they always wax them. Jeez I'd rather be using my time to get more customers than buffing a lawn mower. Guess its all the part timers we have on here.

If everybody chimed in and said how they always wax them, then the better question may be "Who doesn't wax them?" Also, whats wrong with part timers? Most people have to go part time when they just start off. Unless of course they want to be living with no lights or running water.

There are days that rain. Thats a great time to clean and wax mowers. Nothing really better to do. I like to have nice looking equipment, and I wax mine every month or so usually.

nepatsfan
03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
If everybody chimed in and said how they always wax them, then the better question may be "Who doesn't wax them?" Also, whats wrong with part timers? Most people have to go part time when they just start off. Unless of course they want to be living with no lights or running water.

There are days that rain. Thats a great time to clean and wax mowers. Nothing really better to do. I like to have nice looking equipment, and I wax mine every month or so usually.

Its not about being a part timer. We are full time plus part time, but everybody has down time. Pouring rain, thunder and lightning, finish a job at 2:30 and don't want to start something new. We try to change oil once a week and grease. air filters monthly fuel filters the same time. along with that goes cleaning off the machine. We don't wax all the time but I have found it to be a good way to keep the machines in good shape. So when the weather is awful out I can either have the guys washing trucks, maintenance, wax, cleaning the shop, or home watching mtv. Most prefer to work. You have to make time and make it a point to keep your vehicles and equipment in good shape. If you choose not too they don't look good as long and when you go to sell them people see that they look like crap and aren't interested. Tomorrow is the first nice day we are having in over a week but due to the ground being absolutley soaked and flooding I don't want to run machines on anything. Tomorrow we are painting two trailers and building more shelves at the shop. I have estimates to do....but I find time to do everything. You have to.

clean_cut
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM

Only once a day? I heard you need to do it at night to get all the grass off and then in the morning, so it doesn't rust from accumulating dew. :rolleyes:

Yeah Right!

Anyway, I have waxed my mower once because I was sorta bored, but I don't typically. I have also waxed my dirt bike before, I've heard that it keeps mud from sticking as easily, and makes the mower/dirt bike much easier to clean.

Manscape
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I wash and wax my Lincoln all the time....my lawnmower costs more than my car....so why not wash and wax that too?...

I'd put spinners on the lawnmower if they sold em.

GCAN
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
I think I would like to try FF is it only available on line?

rcslawncare
04-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I think I would like to try FF is it only available on line?

PM Dano50 with your address and he can hook you up! Once you use it and see it in action, you will order more. I get it at the JD dealer!!

JeffNY
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
If you want to keep you machine looking new quit running into sh$t with your trim edge. :laugh:

lol, closer you get, less you have to trim....that'll buff out

M & MD Lawn
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I sometimes use the spray wax and then i will had dry the mower, but im thinking of doing the fluid film wipedown

Dano50
04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
If any members have never tried it and live in the US, PM me your contact info for a free sample can. If you'd like to purchase, just check the dealer locator on our website at www.fluid-film.com. Click on Purchase on the left hand menu.

Hoy landscaping
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
i wash at least weekly. if not daily. i wax a few times a year. it keeps it nice, keeps it from rusting and shines it up.

topsites
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Honestly?
I can't remember the last time my machines saw water other than rain,
I've got mold growing on some it's been so long they've been washed.

Why, because they're dirty within minutes, waste of my dang time lol

Also, whats wrong with part timers? Most people have to go part time when they just start off.

I never did that because I felt it was a half measure and that I would only be cheating myself out of what comes later,
granted it's harder but certainly a p/t job is not required to start in a business, matter of fact diving in full would be to me
the standard way to do things...

So I don't have as much respect for p/t'ers because I feel they have provided themselves a safety blanket and
just for one example don't truly feel the full effect of an underbid job, just as an example.

Unless of course they want to be living with no lights or running water.

Can't say I've ever been without those but I've done without a lot of things to make sure I could survive another day and
if an Lco were to do without electric for a month because they did get into it Full time and now they're making sacrifices
to make sure they stay in business?
Then I would respect them.

As they say, no pain, no gain...
However I also believe this is the first time on LS I have ever said much of anything about it.

Peace

South Florida Lawns
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
You guys get compliments on clean looking mowers from your customers????

Most of my customers never see me and a lot of them I've never met.

And for those that argue that your image is what gets business, they aren't gonna hire you over Joe Shmoe because you got a clean mower, sorry ain't happenin.

The only time I'd ever wax any mower is if I were to sell it, which I don't I run them till they die.

BearWise Landscapers
04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
You guys get compliments on clean looking mowers from your customers????

Most of my customers never see me and a lot of them I've never met.

And for those that argue that your image is what gets business, they aren't gonna hire you over Joe Shmoe because you got a clean mower, sorry ain't happenin.

The only time I'd ever wax any mower is if I were to sell it, which I don't I run them till they die.

I can see trucks and trailers that have your business name on it being a different story, but I would agree that mower image is not that big of a deal. It may make them last longer, so then I could see taking the time to keep them from rusting. You do put a lot of money into some mowers.

nepatsfan
04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I can see trucks and trailers that have your business name on it being a different story, but I would agree that mower image is not that big of a deal. It may make them last longer, so then I could see taking the time to keep them from rusting. You do put a lot of money into some mowers.

I don't do it for image, I do it for maintenance and because I'm somewhat anal.

dcg141
04-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Wow...I wish some of my customers would see this. I don't have many commercial cutters that take care of their equipment. I'm still stunned at the abuse we see on a regular basis. Sometimes we have to spend over an hour cleaning equipment so we can actually work on it. Kudos to you guys that take care of your investments.

DLAWNS
04-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't do it for image, I do it for maintenance and because I'm somewhat anal.

That's pretty much the best way to sum it up for me also....

cps
08-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Will you come do mine next? lol

Mickhippy
08-26-2010, 01:53 AM
On the odd occasion I clean my SZ, I pressure clean (careful around spindles/electronics etc) the wipe down with Fluid Film.
Im a convert! FF is easy as to put on, gets those green stains out and makes machine look almost new again.
Dont get me wrong, I think Ive only cleaned it twice in 18mths but I was seriously impressed with FF. Give it a go!

jiggz
08-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Call me crazy.

no but its bad to use that cheep walmart oil you got in the back.. im just kidding might not be but it looks like it...

that mower is CLEEEEAN ... nice

back to the ? though
i dont wax cause my **** is old so it dont matter, but if i bought a new maching id wax it at the end of the season, wash em once a week

cgaengineer
08-26-2010, 07:15 AM

This is what I do as well, I only have 5 customers though...one for each day of the week...my equipment maintenance is so thorough that I only have time for one per day, the flip side is that my equipment seems to last forever.

Hell no, I dont wax my mower...that's a total waste of time. I do keep them clean enough to see anything that may break but waxing is out of the question.

hackitdown
08-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Wax? WTF?

I was my machines once...just before I take the photos for Craigslist and eBay.

cgaengineer
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Wax? WTF?

I was my machines once...just before I take the photos for Craigslist and eBay.

LOL, the only thing on mine that gets cleaned on a regular basis is the underside of the deck.

giantguy12543
08-26-2010, 08:07 AM
When it is time to grease my mowers I hose them down. 1 or 2 times per season I will do a complete cleaning on them using Krud Kutter, I pull the rear wheels, lift the mowers and clean underneath. This gives me a chance to make a close visual inspection to make sure everything is tight, and nothing is cracked, broken, or leaking. I will wax the decks to make life a little easier when blowing down the mowers between jobs.

Silver Landscaping
08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I keep a pressure washer by the garage where I park my trailer and spray off the dust every night. It only takes 5 minutes. The wife waxes my stuff every other sunday. Knew I married her for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

I worked some for a guy like that before I got into the biz. Spent hours cleaning and polishing his gear and truck, but hated the actual work. It was, for him, Part time of course. He'd quit work for the day if it so much as sprinkled. For these guys it's all about the idea of it, not making money.

I wash my mowers once a year, in the winter. Never had any rust, finish, or issues related to dirt. Ever.

BrunoT
08-26-2010, 07:44 PM
i like to wax mine as well, and really looks good when i take the buffer to it, not a better way to spend a friday nite than with my buffer and mower.

You're obviously married, then <G>

gunsworth
08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Call me crazy.

you spend all that time to keep it looking nice, then you use wally world oil :confused::dizzy:

My work speaks for itself, I keep the truck clean, but people could give a **** about how clean a mower is. I worry that they will think I am charging too much if I show up with something that looks brand new each week

Southern Pride
08-28-2010, 02:18 AM
For these guys it's all about the idea of it, not making money.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I don't ever wash the machine. I don't like water on it. However, I do just give it the once a week wipe down and I apply a spray-on wax like eagle one. We blow the deck off after every yard. As I'm coming out front with the mower the guy will blow it off. I lift it up and he cleans underneath. Or If I forget we hit it while its on the trailer before we throw the blowers on. On fridays when we are completely done I wipe it all down (takes less than a minute) and the mower looks new.

See, I'm not saying I'm one of these guys who does a couple yards and then brings it in and polishes it up. I'm saying I care. I like my equipment perfectly maintained. Oiled, greased, filled, tightened, and clean. Ready for whatever. After I do all the real maintenance, I spend less than a minute to wipe it down and have it looking new. This is what the wax is great for. It reduces cosmetic cleanup time next to nothing. Keeping the deck and around the engine clean will help identify any leaks.

To me, guys who could care less about their $6k investments appearance, probably aren't ontop of the maintenance either. They're just after every nickel they can get while spending as little money maintaining investments. Then they wonder why the engine burnt up because it overheated. Guys, atleast blow debris from the engine cooling area and under the deck, and around belts.

I guess my overrall message is don't hate on us who keep our equipment looking near new. Don't think for a minute it means you're big time because you "dont have time" to keep up with your investments. Its either lazyness or you just don't care for the mowers appearance. Neither is right or wrong. Just do the basics atleast. Theres nothing worse than a 6k p.o.s.

BCLawns
08-28-2010, 07:48 AM
I keep everything I own clean and shiny.