PDA

View Full Version : Excavator Control Patterns.

AWJ Services
03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I learned on John deere pattern controls so how do you experienced operators switch between Controls? I have tried but I look Like a Drunk Monkey running a machine.

Also what manufacturers use what pattern?

bobcat_ron
03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Gradall had a pattern all their own, it had the swing and bucket on opposite sides, someone told me they used to have a 3 way switch for Cat, Deere and Gradall.

One of these days I will have to switch to Cat, but that's change for me, and I do not accept change, so I will inevitably die off like the dinosaurs before me as I cannot adapt to my new surroundings.

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
You and Ronald Dejong are the only weirdos that like Deere Control Pattern.

bearmtnmartin
03-31-2010, 01:42 AM
No one really has to learn a new pattern anymore. Don't you have a pattern changer Ron? Do they still make machines without one? I used to have to get into the father in laws Hitachi and move hoses before I could run it. It was a lot of work, so eventually I learned to run the Cat controls. But now if I have levers it has to be JD, and if it has joysticks it has to be Cat. And if I jump in a rubber tire with joysticks, I am just f***ed. I can't run it either way. My little brain can't cope.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2010, 01:52 AM
I think for us in B.C. it will eventually come a Worksafe (WCB) regulation that the machine has to have a control pattern switch. I learned on Cat controls it is all I can use.

AWJ Services
03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Gradall had a pattern all their own, it had the swing and bucket on opposite sides, someone told me they used to have a 3 way switch for Cat, Deere and Gradall.

One of these days I will have to switch to Cat, but that's change for me, and I do not accept change, so I will inevitably die off like the dinosaurs before me as I cannot adapt to my new surroundings.

I started on a JD Backhoe and then went to excavators. I hope to force myself to spend some money this year on a bigger excavator and the thought of having to relearn the controls is not appealing so I was also curious what larger excavators had switchable controls and if not who used Deere patterns.

bobcatexc
03-31-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't know how some guys can switch back and forth. I also grew up and spent probably 15 years on deere controls. The company I work for now has probably 30 excavators with cat controls, they simply told me if I wanted to work here I was going to have to learn, so there was a couple days or week of looking like a dumbass. I have since occassionaly hoped on a subcontractors backhoe with deere controls and I have a hell of a time hitting the ground even all those years running it.

AWJ most new excavators I've seen have a switch or value you can turn or if your going to be buying one they can have it set up with deere controls like you want.

AWJ Services
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't know how some guys can switch back and forth. I also grew up and spent probably 15 years on deere controls. The company I work for now has probably 30 excavators with cat controls, they simply told me if I wanted to work here I was going to have to learn, so there was a couple days or week of looking like a dumbass. I have since occassionaly hoped on a subcontractors backhoe with deere controls and I have a hell of a time hitting the ground even all those years running it.

AWJ most new excavators I've seen have a switch or value you can turn or if your going to be buying one they can have it set up with deere controls like you want.

Most of the machines I have been shopping in the 12-15 ton size are in the 90's. I was hoping I could have the hoses swapped if it did not have a control switch.

Thanks for the info guys!

bobcat_ron
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
No one really has to learn a new pattern anymore. Don't you have a pattern changer Ron? Do they still make machines without one? I used to have to get into the father in laws Hitachi and move hoses before I could run it. It was a lot of work, so eventually I learned to run the Cat controls. But now if I have levers it has to be JD, and if it has joysticks it has to be Cat. And if I jump in a rubber tire with joysticks, I am just f***ed. I can't run it either way. My little brain can't cope.

My brother's Cat hoes didn't have pattern changers, so he installed them when he started hiring people in 2006, Finning made good money off him, the 290B + C models had a changer and the Hitachi my Dad owns has built in pattern changers, but the old PC60's had them installed later on in 2007.

But I remember as a kid trying out new machines at the dealer's lots we had to call ahead so the shop could switch over the lines at the boom for us, then the valves came as an option and made tyring new machines easier with less grumbling from the grease monkeys.

Dirtman2007
03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
I guess I'm the odd one. I can only run a excavator with Cat controls. Switch them and its fun to watch. I can run a backhoe fine with the deere patter but it must be on the wobble sticks. I can run a backhoe as well on cat controls but it must have the joysticks:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
When you are loading/unloading equipment onto barges like I do time to time you really have to watch what your doing when it comes to excavators. You don't know what control pattern it can be. Myself I always watch what I'am doing because I'am used to Cat controls so if I'am pulling back on the right hand joystick and I see the the boom isn't rising the stick is moving it Deere controls.

If you screw up you could be swimming with a 300 Excavator :laugh:

Ozz
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I like the Cat controls, Why?When I pick something and have to place with the boom, It's gotta be in the righ spot, and Im right handed lol.

stuvecorp
03-31-2010, 09:04 PM

Deere rules! (the Deere guys will love that):laugh: I am also stuck on the Dinosaur controls and there ain't no way I'm going to even attempt learning the other controls.

Most of the machines I have been shopping in the 12-15 ton size are in the 90's. I was hoping I could have the hoses swapped if it did not have a control switch.

Thanks for the info guys!

The Kobelco was switched to Deere controls, wasn't too big of a deal. I would think some machines might have the pattern changer?

curtisfarmer
03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
1 of my friends changed my controls 1 day....put the bucket over the plate compactor....went home. I get in, and crush the thing!!!!! Should have I checked....or should have he told me?????

Scag48
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I learned on Cat pattern and can't run Deere very smoothly at first. After a few hours I start to get the feel for it but wouldn't plan on doing any truck loading the first day of making the switch.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Most older guys ie over 50 and have been in the excavating business for 30 years or more are mostly use Deere control.

I have tried getting used to Deere control pattern I just couldn't do it. Once your brain is programed to stroke the joysticks one way it is hard to change.

jimmyjack
03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
learned on deere pattern , but the last 6 years only really been running cat pattern, i have once and a while ran deere again takes about a hour or two to be smooth again , but to jump back on cat the same day screws me all up need to give it a day for the mind to reset to be smooth on cat again.........can do four stick like what was on the ford backhoes too but everything is joysticks now so :rolleyes:

Blue Goose
03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Most older guys ie over 50 and have been in the excavating business for 30 years or more are mostly use Deere control.

Where did that statistic come from?

wanabe
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Cat pattern all the way! Being able to jump turn is more than worth it.

Junior M
03-31-2010, 10:31 PM

Thats the only thing I can run..

I have tried getting used to Deere control pattern I just couldn't do it. Once your brain is programed to stroke the joysticks one way it is hard to change.

Thats all Dad can run.. Thats all he taught his guys cause his 1994 and 1995 331s didnt have pattern changers. You had to move hoses.. Thats what I learned on and I've tried to run CAT controls once. Talk about a major failure.

Junior M
03-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Cat pattern all the way! Being able to jump turn is more than worth it.
I can jump turn just fine with JD controls? ;) :confused:

93turbo
03-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I can jump turn just fine with JD controls? ;) :confused:

Thats what I was thinking too. I learned on jd controls and have a pattern chnger on my 334 but haven't even messed with trying it cause I know that would just be plain ugly although I can run the old case backhoes with 3 sticks and swing peddles with nor problem swithcing between the 2:hammerhead:

ioilyouin
03-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Cat controls for me, however I did run a 690DLC for a couple weeks and I did catch on.

RedRebel
04-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Uh whats the difference between them and I will tell you what I run..LOL

Gravel Rat
04-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Where did that statistic come from?

It is very common on the coastal B.C. because most older guys learned on backhoes and most excavators had Deere control pattern.

ksss
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I am an SAE guy (refuse to say Deere guy, Sorry).

bearmtnmartin
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
If you have a machine that is sold throughout the world, take a look at the operators manual. My New Holland had at least 10 different control patterns that were available depending on where on the globe it was to be sold. Some of them seem to be dreamed up by a glue sniffing monkey.

mkjohnson14
11-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I am new to this site and just bought a CASE 9010 B. I am a farmer with a lot of wet ground this year. I want to try to dig some ditches. The joystick is set on CAT controls and they just seem backwards to me. Does anyone know how I can switch them to John Deere setting? Thanks.

shooterm
11-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Last job I had ran Insleys, Tak, Cat, Old Rubber Tired Backhoes. I think guys that just run Hoes have a real hard time with switching. If you run other equipment its not that big of a deal.

Blue Goose
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I am an SAE guy (refuse to say Deere guy, Sorry).

I too use the terminology of ISO and SAE.

shooterm
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
We have a new "foreman" at our company thats been whining last few weeks on it. After watching him try to pickup rip rap I'm almost postive he just doesnt know how to run a hoe.

Blue Goose
11-13-2010, 02:07 PM
As a teenager, I learned to run and eventually owned four lever backhoes. Over time I transitioned to SAE patterned wobblestick. My indoctrination to ISO was like a "baptism of fire". We were widening M from the railroad tracks to the I-70 interchange through old town O'Fallon, MO. I was on a little Komatsu 120 and had glass storefronts on one side of me, live traffic on the other and had to tear out old pavement, curb and sidewalk, rough in the subgrade for the new pavement, and load it all out onto a string of dumptrucks.

Going back and forth from ISO patterned excavators to SAE patterned wobblestick controlled backhoes hasn't been a problem. My problem is when getting on a joy stick controlled backhoe.....If I'm going to be productive, it has to be on ISO pattern.

Gravel Rat
11-13-2010, 03:01 PM
The old 3 stick and foot swing Case is still favored by many backhoe operators.

bobcat_ron
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I am new to this site and just bought a CASE 9010 B. I am a farmer with a lot of wet ground this year. I want to try to dig some ditches. The joystick is set on CAT controls and they just seem backwards to me. Does anyone know how I can switch them to John Deere setting? Thanks.

Easiest way is to track down the hoses going to the stick and boom and flip them around or go to the valve bank and flip things around there.

tnmtn
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I started with JD controls and feel very comfortable with them. The Menzi has cat controls and it is definitly ugly getting it off the trailer. After a few minutes to climatize it gets easier and i am able to do whats needed. But it never feels natural.

bobcat_ron
11-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Sometimes when I am using the sh*t box 305CCR and I am pulling crushed concrete away, I will switch to CAT controls when things go slow, it's just an awful feeling, I can master the swing and lifting and pushing the stick out to dump cycles on the pile beside me, but pulling a level pass is just terrible.
It will be a few more years and the pattern changers will be banned here in Canada, I am going to be soooo screwed.

Gravel Rat
11-13-2010, 11:25 PM
You better get some practice there Ronny just like using Mrs Palmer number 2 :laugh:

The Canadian gov't will also bring in manditory certification for any equipment operator just like they have with cranes.

J. Peterson Grading
11-14-2010, 12:54 AM
I can only run Cat style anymore. I used to be able to switch from an excavator over to a Backhoe as long as the backhoe had Deere style sticks.

I have the same trouble with skid loaders as well. As long as its a pilot control (Cat style) I am ok. But stick me in ANYTHING else and its like a monkey humping a doorknob.

J.

John_DeereGreen
11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I've always run Deere controls. Tried Cat once and I looked like a drunken sailor trying to fly an airplane.

Skid steers are the same way, if it has Cat style pilot controls I'm fine, but put me in something with foot controls and it'll take me an hour to even think about being productive. I'll never own another skid with foot controls.

fordsrule
11-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I started out on John Deere controls on excavators and that is all i can use. Forget having me use Cat controls or as JD puts it on the pattern changer Excavator. Then on skid steers I can run pilots or hand and foot. I actually prefer the hand and foot one so far, but at work we just got a pilot controlled skid steer. I've ran it for a few minutes moving snow plows and I'm alright on it.

Dirtman2007
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I run Cat style in the excavators. I can switch it to deere style on the minis but I'm not very good and can't hold a grade. I can only run deere style on a backhoe and it has to be the wobble sticks. Pilots in a backhoe and I'm really messed up, even if its set up on cat excavator style Im a wreck lol

pilots are by far the best thing for a CTL, thats all I'd like to run. Hand and foot controls suck! too much moving around.

bighornjd
11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I can hop on about any machine with any type controls on any given day, and get the hang of it after about 15 minutes or so. I might not get very fast for a couple hours, but I can get the job done. If I have to hop off and onto a similiar type machine with different controls right away or on the same day, I look like a ******. I guess I too need the 'brain reset'.

mxridernorth
11-16-2010, 01:24 AM
i learned on the JD pattern on my mini but when I bought the spider exc I forced myself to change, even though it had a pattern changer. I can't tell you how many times in the first 20 minutes I slammed the bucket into the ground :| After a couple of days of practice I had to do a perimeter drain. Let me tell you that my brain was on high alert. Now I'm just as useless on JD as I was on Cat when I started.