PDA

View Full Version : Sod: Squares Vs Rolls-which do you prefer?

FLAhaulboy
03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
I put out two pallets of St Aug last week last week that I had to wheelbarrow into a narrow backyard. The Aug was I guess (3) ft rolls of sod. Man, what a freaking hassle having to hand handle these heavy rascals! Very hard to lay out on the ground, lay it, then get on the ground & pull the whole piece in. I'd rather put out squares because I can hold a square in each hand & lay in it much more efficiently. Squares are easier to load in a wheelbarrow also.

I was told that the sod stays fresher if it is is rolled & that might make sense but "rolls" now take me twice as long to put out vs squares! Then a light steady rain came along that morning and the rolls got heavier!

My sod supplier does not roll the centipede, it comes in squares only, which I think doesn't make much sense to roll one and not the other but maybe the type of grass matters (?) in why centipede is only squared.

Needless to say, I will no longer use this sod supplier to provide me sod if it comes to rolls only. I will see if the supplier will start adding both squares & rolls available instead of rolls only. If not I'll take my business elsewhere.

Share your thoughts, what do you prefer, Squares or Rolls?

castlerockmo
03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
I like the rolls they are easier I think to lay, my guys got mad at me one time because I used a differnt farm with sqaures. Rolls are a lot faster for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric3077
03-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Rolls are better, more sq ft per piece goes quicker....heavier? Yes but still nothing to complain about come on what is it like 10 lbs dry and 20 lbs wet if that...

FLAhaulboy
04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I dunno, I can lay one pallet of squares in roughly 30 minutes. The rolls will take me longer to lay. If I have to lay rolled sod again, I'll just increase my price I guess.