PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants me to widen chain link fence.

grassyfras
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
I brought up widening a chain link fence gate to a customer so that I could get a bigger mower in the backyard. He said that he would like me to price it out. I have never done this before and would be willing to do it for cost. Anyone have any idea of cost and time to do something like this? Would you charge your regular hourly rate if you knew that this customer would be with you for several years and it would save you a headache every week by not having to bring the 36" mower?

topsites
03-31-2010, 01:16 AM
No but I know how to make an entire section of wooden fence "removable" :p
For real, not a joke, so the whole section can be taken out, the equipment moved through, and so on...

I did my first one at cost, $75.
Not worth it in my opinion, other than for the experience, it was a neat project.

But you're not the first to think of it, if the right customer came along I'd probably consider it all over again.
Not sure what to tell you, where on LS the folks who do this kind of work might hang out...

The way I did mine is I saw it done on another yard, thought it was the neatest thing, was itching to try it.

Hawg City Lawns
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
No but I know how to make an entire section of wooden fence "removable" :p
For real, not a joke, so the whole section can be taken out, the equipment moved through, and so on...

I did my first one at cost, $75.
Not worth it in my opinion, other than for the experience, it was a neat project.

But you're not the first to think of it, if the right customer came along I'd probably consider it all over again.
Not sure what to tell you, where on LS the folks who do this kind of work might hang out...

The way I did mine is I saw it done on another yard, thought it was the neatest thing, was itching to try it.

ive cut gates into wooden fences for people several times solid fence and no gate no problem some hinges, a latch, 2 extra 2x4s, screws, drill, and a recip saw youll have a single gate wherever youd like one in less than 2 hours

id never do chainlink i suck at streching that stuff

unkownfl
03-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Its easy just make it a double gate instead of a single. shouldn't run you over 60-100 bucks in materials. You can buy them already made from lowes for like 50-75 bucks. I had to replace one last year because my guy ran into it with a mower and bent the hell out of it.

ALC-GregH
03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
As long as the customer doesn't expect you to lower the price now that it will take less time and is easier to take care of now.

Southern Elegance
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
we do it all the time . around 200 bucks and about 3 hrs

Lawn Pawn
03-31-2010, 10:36 PM
It is quite easy to do..... if you have done it before!

Do not bite a fat hawg in the ass if you are not sure of what all is involved.
Or get a friend to help that has done this.
Guess maybe $50 to $100 labor?

Is always nice to have a bigger gate for many reasons. He should be very glad to pay you.

ed2hess
03-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Let's see you want to use a bigger mower so you can save time so...the customer needs to put in a new wide gate:hammerhead: If I was the customer I would be looking for a real good deal on this change.

Craig3
04-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Let's see you want to use a bigger mower so you can save time so...the customer needs to put in a new wide gate:hammerhead: If I was the customer I would be looking for a real good deal on this change.

ditto. sounds like a good winter project...