PDA

View Full Version : I'm crossing Maruyama off my list

Merkava_4
03-31-2010, 03:25 AM
For string trimmers anyway ...

I was at a local dealer last week and I was comparing a Maruyama BC2321 to a RedMax BCZ2301S.
I immediately noticed the RedMax being longer; so to make absolutely sure, I emailed Maruyama last night. Being that the BC2621CA would be the trimmer I'd get if I was going Maruyama, I asked them what the tube length is on that trimmer. They wrote back and said 57.1 inches. (RedMax is 59 inches).

My conclusion? I'm sure Maruyama is a VERY high quality trimmer, but I need that extra 2 inches.

honeydopm
03-31-2010, 04:29 AM
2 inches is a lot when it comes to.......trimmer size haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Have you played with adjusting the loop handle up and down to see how it feel yet? I did because I am short!! It really work!!!

Merkava_4
03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Have you played with adjusting the loop handle up and down to see how it feel yet? I did because I am short!! It really work!!!

All these string trimmers are designed by short people it seems like.

In today's world, if you're short and use a string trimmer, you've got the advantage.

ALC-GregH
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm 6ft plus and don't have any problems. 2 inches isn't that much difference considering.

Alan0354
03-31-2010, 01:19 PM
All these string trimmers are designed by short people it seems like.

In today's world, if you're short and use a string trimmer, you've got the advantage.

But have you try that?

Blusername
06-08-2014, 09:30 AM
How tall are you merkava? I was thinking of getting one but now Im concerned I'm 6"1.

JCLawn and more
06-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Tanaka has a trimmer for tall people.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
06-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Redmax had shorter version of trimmers at one time. They were targeting the hispanic workers.

TTM42
06-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Tanaka has a trimmer for tall people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Had one of those Tanaka long trimmers, it worked great for awhile but the quality of them sucks, it was constantly wearing out clutches

TTM42
06-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Maruyama trimmers are one of the best trimmers I have ever used and just like everyone else here I have used them all and I am 6'2" with back problems but it is lighter than most trimmers and has just as much hooch as a echo or shindaiwa in my opinion

sjessen
06-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Maruyama trimmers are one of the best trimmers I have ever used and just like everyone else here I have used them all and I am 6'2" with back problems but it is lighter than most trimmers and has just as much hooch as a echo or shindaiwa in my opinion

Have heard they and Kawasaki are the same trimmer.

XYZLawnPros
06-08-2014, 08:33 PM
We have some very tall guys with us. Three of them are 6'4 or taller. We haven't been able to find a commercial trimmer long enough for them. I am not going to hurt my employees with substandard equipment. Suffice it to say, none of the 6'4 guys have to line trim.

cotyledon
06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
High quality maruyama
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
06-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Redmax had shorter version of trimmers at one time. They were targeting the hispanic workers.

They should have sold a ton of them then because 98% of lawn crews are all Hispanic.

ProStreetCamaro
06-08-2014, 09:26 PM
We have some very tall guys with us. Three of them are 6'4 or taller. We haven't been able to find a commercial trimmer long enough for them. I am not going to hurt my employees with substandard equipment. Suffice it to say, none of the 6'4 guys have to line trim.

Tanaka makes a longer trimmer for tall guys. I am only 5'10 and normal trimmers hurt my back if I trim for more than 15 minutes. I have thought about buying one of the longer Tanaka trimmers for that reason but they are way to heavy for me.

XYZLawnPros
06-08-2014, 10:08 PM
We did look at the tanaka long shaft line trimmers. The conclusion we came to after much research was they are not a very good commercial quality trimmer.

About the weight issue, we require all workers line trimming or stick edging and the such to wear harnesses. Trust me we've done the research on harnesses. Make the guys go one day without now and they hate life. Getting accustomed to the harnesses comes with time and practice. None of my labor would ever go without one now.

QLM
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
For string trimmers anyway ...

I was at a local dealer last week and I was comparing a Maruyama BC2321 to a RedMax BCZ2301S.
I immediately noticed the RedMax being longer; so to make absolutely sure, I emailed Maruyama last night. Being that the BC2621CA would be the trimmer I'd get if I was going Maruyama, I asked them what the tube length is on that trimmer. They wrote back and said 57.1 inches. (RedMax is 59 inches).

My conclusion? I'm sure Maruyama is a VERY high quality trimmer, but I need that extra 2 inches.

I don't think 1.9 inches of shaft length would make much of a difference.Maruyama makes great equipment I wish I had a dealer that sold and stocked parts close to me.
Not gonna make a 60+ mile round trip for a trimmer part. The best trimmer I ever owned is a Maruyama that thing went swimming during Katrina pulled it apart and cleaned her and she still runs today.

You have to remember nothing is designed to be used by Americans because we don't build anything any more. If you are over 6 ft nothing is made for you! Heck the stuff made here is for small people. You can't tell me standers weren't designed for short light people. If you are over 200 standers and sulkies are not made for you either.
Posted via Mobile Device

RTR Landscaping
06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
You'll like the RedMax. They are really good trimmers. The TR2301 is a true 2 cycle [not strato charged] and has excellent power.