PDA

View Full Version : Granular or liquid?

rjh4758
03-31-2010, 03:16 AM
I am looking at diversifying and going to get my license to apply pesticides. I will be offering pesticide and fertilizing programs but I will need to look at equipment to do this. Which works better granular or liquid and what equipment is everyone using?

VARMIT COMMISSION
03-31-2010, 08:26 AM
rjh4758,

In Oklahoma most LCO's use a liquid weed control and a granular fertilizer. If you go with a liquid fertilizer it will cost much much more and won't last long enough. If you use a granular post you will fail, it won't work. Liquid pre, and post is the way to go here in Oklahoma. You will need a tank sprayer, 200 gallon would be the choice of many. If you get a smaller one you will be limited on square feet and you will have to refill all day and time is money in this buisness. Most guys will do 2 to 3 blanket apps a year so it will be money well spent. You can price shop skid sprayers at Wylie, Estes, Lesco etc. I would recommend a new one, take care of it and it will last a long time. Your fertilizer spreader needs to be all stainless steel, they are expensive but it will last you many years. Another thought is we start round one in Febuary, you need some place to store this rig overnight so it wont freeze.

thempikes
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Right on Varmit

You will have other business needs:

Additional insurance since you'll be hauling and applying pesticides.

Computer (you have one) and software to keep accurate records (if you are really serious consider Real Green). I've used it since 1987.

Decals for the truck (at least 3/4 ton).

Back packs, tip & pours, soil probe, literature, etc.

tombo82685
03-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Not going to comment on what is best for your area. But turf wise grass takes up liquid ferts or liquid products ten times better then granular.

SeedPro
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Not going to comment on what is best for your area. But turf wise grass takes up liquid ferts or liquid products ten times better then granular.

Bullshiot.

Your parents need a refund on the useless agronomy degree they paid for. You'll make a fabulous park ranger.

tombo82685
03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Bullshiot.

Your parents need a refund on the useless agronomy degree they paid for. You'll make a fabulous park ranger.

Sorry, but your wrong. Most granular ferts like your scu,pcu, milorgantire, or any other granular either need microbes within the soil to breakdown the prill, watered by rain or irrigation, or its through temperature. Liquid fertilizer gets better coverage of the plant and is directly taken up by the plants leaves. In granular fertilizers you have to worry about an increase potential of leaching, volatilization, immobilization, denitrification which limit the amount of nitrogen available to the plant. The amount of leaching of fertilizer is greater in granular then liquid, soley because you don't need to apply as much N to get a rapid response to turf when using a liquid compared to granular.

http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_liquid_vs_granular/

Im sorry but maybe you should get a better understanding of how fertilizers work once they are abosrbed into the plant and into the soil profile, before calling out someone pal.

SeedPro
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Sorry, but your wrong. Most granular ferts like your scu,pcu, milorgantire, or any other granular either need microbes within the soil to breakdown the prill, watered by rain or irrigation, or its through temperature. Liquid fertilizer gets better coverage of the plant and is directly taken up by the plants leaves. In granular fertilizers you have to worry about an increase potential of leaching, volatilization, immobilization, denitrification which limit the amount of nitrogen available to the plant. The amount of leaching of fertilizer is greater in granular then liquid, soley because you don't need to apply as much N to get a rapid response to turf when using a liquid compared to granular.

http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_liquid_vs_granular/

Im sorry but maybe you should get a better understanding of how fertilizers work once they are abosrbed into the plant and into the soil profile, before calling out someone pal.

You got your experience out of a book and from some hippie who teaches and doesn't "Do", in between frat parties and boinking some naive freshman broads, dude. I've been doing this for almost thirty years. 8 years before you were even born so don't link me to some dweebs in some lawn mowing magazine.

Grass blades account for a very small amount of absorption. It's the root system where quality nutrients are absorbed and taken up, sonny.

tombo82685
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Then explain to me why golf courses use fertigation, why trugreen, scotts, lawn doctor all use liquid base fertilizers.

So instead of providing facts, you just ridicule and call the people who wrote books, thesis, and the professors with years of knowledge well surpass yours, hippies? When you want to put some logical thinking into having a professional discussion without acting like child then please do so.

SeedPro
03-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Then explain to me why golf courses use fertigation, why trugreen, scotts, lawn doctor all use liquid base fertilizers.

So instead of providing facts, you just ridicule and call the people who wrote books, thesis, and the professors with years of knowledge well surpass yours, hippies? When you want to put some logical thinking into having a professional discussion without acting like child then please do so.

Fertigation? Is that something you read about in one of your ancient schoolbooks or fancy shmancy lawn magazines?

Those systems are junk, and no one uses them.

TG is moving to all granular, Scotts is nearly all granular and I have never heard of Lawn Doctor. Well maybe I have but they aren't around my area.

Don't get me wrong kiddo. Theres a time and a place for everything, and theres nothing wrong with Liquid application methods, but to say they are ten times better than granular is just BS. At best they are worse than granular because 9 out of ten times theres no micros, and only one Macro.

"N."

And your slow timed release options are much more available with granular. Unless you're rich enough to afford fluff or formelene as a slow release Nitrogen.

Perfect world scenario? Liquid could be as good as granular, IF you apply the right mix. Unfortunately most liquid fert sprays are 46-0-0 mini prill disolved in water.

Now if you want a fast response? Yeah maybe liquid is better.....but not by much with proper irrigation.

Theres an old saying sonny.

Those who can. Do. Those who can't. Teach.

tombo82685
03-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Fertigation is the newest thing out for golf courses, they didn't even have them like 5 or 10 years ago.

Micro and macro? Are you referring to pores in the soil profile?

It all depends on what he is doing. Sure the slow releases are good with granular, but quick uptake liq is best.

My statement was that liq fertilizers are absorbed ten times better then granular which they are. Not which fertilizer is best with each diff application or time of the year.

The ones that i have used liq fert wise were not straight urea.

Since you say your an old timer, maybe your stuck in your old ways, maybe you need to learn some new things as things change.

SeedPro
03-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Fertigation is the newest thing out for golf courses, they didn't even have them like 5 or 10 years ago.

Micro and macro? Are you referring to pores in the soil profile?

It all depends on what he is doing. Sure the slow releases are good with granular, but quick uptake liq is best.

My statement was that liq fertilizers are absorbed ten times better then granular which they are. Not which fertilizer is best with each diff application or time of the year.

The ones that i have used liq fert wise were not straight urea.

Since you say your an old timer, maybe your stuck in your old ways, maybe you need to learn some new things as things change.

Oh they have had fertigation for 25 years. It's one of those "In Theory" kinda deals as I call them, but theres too many variables and you just cant get an even accurate application. Don't let that stop people from trying to sell them though.

Micro and Macro are nutrient types.

N-P-K being Macros, and everything else is a micro like Iron, Mangenese etc.

rjh4758
04-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the info Varmit and thempikes