PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Boy to Honda conversion - anyone ever do one?

BestImpressions99
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
A buddy of mine is moving and has 2 lawn boys. He says one has some difficulty starting and the other hasn't started in awhile. That doesn't bother me. I know Lawn Boy is renowned as a top notch push mower. I was thinking since he was just going to give it to me and we don't have any push mowers in our fleet, I could get the GXV 5 HP Honda mower engine from Northern Tool for 389.

Anyone see any issues arising. I know once before I used a lawn boy and it was very very light, is the engine weight "the reason for the pleasin'" with the lawn boy or is it the quality of cut?

ALC-GregH
03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't invest 4 bills into a used push mower. Don't care if it said Scag on the side.

BestImpressions99
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I know what you mean. Which is one reason I posted the thread. But spending $1k+ just for 1 or two apps a year. The payoff rate is astronomical. The other option is weedeating those applications so cost may be a wash.

mowisme
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I can only say this: The older staggered wheel LB's are great mowers and have good record (except maybe the Dura-force..which I own 3) But I don't know about the newer ones. The Honda motor A-1..but my past experience on the swapping one motor to another involves more headaches than you might think. mounting holes is the easy part..but that can be a problem too if base of motor is wider and/or the holes end up on a 'ridge' or something. Also got to take into account the blade height from base of motor. shimming might be required (which leaves gap for clippings to fly out of)- or blade height might be such that you got to ride mower lowest setting just to get 2-3" height- do-able but do the homework. Also keep in mind that motor if self propell needs mid-way pulley. I personally never did a Honda onto a LB..but done several other combinations..never with 100% sucess- run(yes) but not total right. Good luck- sorry..not much help.

BestImpressions99
03-31-2010, 01:51 PM
No, you're a tremendous help. Thanks for the info you guys.

Roger
03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
The OP does not say the model of the LawnBoy mowers. If they are the older staggered wheel models, the engine mount is unique to the 2 cycle engines of LB. They did make a commercial model on the staggered wheel models with a 4 cycle B & S engine for one season.

I have an older staggered wheel model with a DuraForce engine. The engine was nothing but headaches, and I spent much time trying to fit up another 4 cycle engine. My only hope was to get the engine mounting plate for the B & S models. But, they were so brief on the market, plates were not available. That is the only hope. There is no way to fit up a typical 4 cycle lawn mower engine to these mowers, simply replacing the engine.

If the LB is a different model that was using a 4 cycle engine, such as Tecumesh, then most likely you can make a one-for-one replacement. But, not so with the 2 cycle engines.

r.eckley
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Why put a differnt motor on the mower when you can buy a new short block
2 cycle, for about 200 $ Just cant beat a LB 2 stroke.

Roger
03-31-2010, 11:46 PM
.... Just cant beat a LB 2 stroke.

Sorry, maybe you can't beat a LB 2 stroke, but it can sure beat you if it is a DuraForce.

You are right about the short block -- actually, I think it may be about $190. See some of my posts of my experiences in installing -- three of them in four seasons. LB DuraForce now relegated to the junk pile.

The older "F" engines were bulletproof. Run, run, run some more. Ran well, started easily, all the good things. DuraForce, not so much.... picture in the dictionary beside "junk."

[Ask me sometime how I feel about DF on LB mowers]

topsites
04-01-2010, 12:55 AM
I say the best conversion would happen when those two end up in the garbage
and a brand new one miraculously appears in the garage.

But seriously, why not get a good mental image of the carburetor connections
on the Lawn boy, might help to take a picture and/or get a printout.
Then take that to Northern and compare it.

Also, shaft size and type (keyed etc).

lawnboyman
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Ive seen People adapt 4 cycle engines on 2 cycle decks... What model mower do you have? i might be interested in the parts you dont need....

Roger you can still buy a 4 cycle adapter plate for the lawn boys to adapt a Briggs engine to an aluminum 2 cycle deck....

Brute Speed
04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Ive seen People adapt 4 cycle engines on 2 cycle decks... What model mower do you have? i might be interested in the parts you dont need....

Roger you can still buy a 4 cycle adapter plate for the lawn boys to adapt a Briggs engine to an aluminum 2 cycle deck....

Where can you buy these adapters? I have an old tan Lawn Boy that was old when I used it to mow with when I was a kid back around 1970. This particular Lawn Boy has the magnesium deck, it would be cool to get it back up and running. Bob

lawnboy dan
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
yes roger -j tomas has them

Brute Speed
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
yes roger -j tomas has them

Found them. Thanks. Bob

Brute Speed
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/2010/images/pages/121.gif

It shows that they only fit the steel deck, why is there a difference, is it the deck thickness? Thanks. Bob

lawnboy dan
04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
my dealer has a leftover lawnboy comm 22243 w/briggs for 600$ . its a good deal and i am very tempted. i just dont need it. i should buy it just as an investment as collectors pay insane $ for these. to us they are just another tool

Manorscape
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Sorry, maybe you can't beat a LB 2 stroke, but it can sure beat you if it is a DuraForce.

You are right about the short block -- actually, I think it may be about $190. See some of my posts of my experiences in installing -- three of them in four seasons. LB DuraForce now relegated to the junk pile.

The older "F" engines were bulletproof. Run, run, run some more. Ran well, started easily, all the good things. DuraForce, not so much.... picture in the dictionary beside "junk."

Only problem I ever had with the Duraforce Lawnboys was snapping the thin cables, and breaking rear wheels. Set the carb and RPM correctly and those motors run great...at least for me and Im not lucky enough to be the only guy with success with them out of luck.

A powerful, 3 speed mower in a 71lb package...sounds good to me. What are the options these days? A 120lb commercial mower or massive headaches using homeowner grade mowers which really do fall under
the term junk.

lawnboy dan
10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
j thomas sells an adaptor plate for mounting a briggs on a lawnboy. might work for a honda. i would try to fix up the lawnboy engines