PDA

View Full Version : Redefining Landscaped Beds

Mack77
03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
I've searched this topic and there are TONS of responses.

Let's start with a mulched bed that has been edged a long time ago, but needing a refresh.

http://www.howardshavens.com/images/Earth/Limon-Mulch-Bed-Before.jpg

I'm used to taking a shovel and digging a new edge, raking out the dirt, and hauling it away. It takes time, effort, and a lot of grunt to do this. I've seen many products out there, and have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

1. Echo Bed redefiner
2. Walk Behind Bed Shaper
3. Stick edger

I do not want to go with the first two choices because of the price. My question is, would a regular edger redefine a bed? I have no problem using a stick edger to redefine the "line", then dig out the soil. Is this recommended?

I always thought a stick edger's purpose was to redefine beds...am I wrong?

highlander316
03-31-2010, 08:15 PM
i'd get 1 or 2. It will cut out the labor of digging all the soil out then. You can rent the bigger bed edgers from a local rental place usually. I use to rent a Brown my first two years until I finally bought one so that I could use it whenever I want.

Keep a lookout for a used one. I bought my Brown F781 for $1500 barely used. Well worth it. Takes a little getting used to so that you can use it efficiently, but if you do a lot of mulching, it's worth it for the time and labor saving costs. My Brown will go through almost anything, rocks, roots, sprinklers heads :hammerhead::hammerhead:, etc.