PDA

View Full Version : Stolen with a boot?

P&C Lawn Care
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Anyone ever had a trailer stolen that had a boot lock on the wheel? I found locks on the trailer tongue can be over ridden by just strapping a chain around the whole thing and dragging it away, but was wondering if a lock on the wheel would stop them (somewhat)?

tailboardtech
03-31-2010, 06:24 PM
alot of times if i leave a trailer on a job site i will take a piece of grade 90 chain and one of the cut proof master locks and run them through the spokes of the rims on on side of the trailer but idk if anyone has messed with my trailers yet. i havent seen any drag marks anyway

ken gustafson
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Take the same chain you were going to tow the trailer away with and hook it to one side of the "boot" and just give it a tug.......the boot will be history also.
No padlock is cut proof and the very same with common chains regardless of the material. Now if you are talking about chain that has links that are like 1 inch in diameter that may be possible..if it would go through the wheel. Most and by that I mean almost everyone out there...padlocks are more easily picked than cut but cutting them is not a problem. Putting a tire wrench in the shackle is very easy to break the padlock...if the shackle is large enough then use a crow bar...padlocks are not like puck locks. Having a trailer in a spot where anyone can back up and hook whatever to it ......presents no problem for the average crook....
Two forms of trailer locks are probably the best.
I have heard almost...not all...everything.... every type of trailer theft possible and on many types of trailers from BBQ and log splitters to travel and car trailers. My opinion and all for 2 cents worth...Ken

Petr51488
04-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure if the wheel boot is as easy as pulling up to it and ripping it off. THe ones i have look pretty solid. One thing that i learned is that if someone wants your trailer... and you allways keep it parked in the same spot, they can allways come back the next day with a spare tire and just take the whole wheel off with the boot and put a fresh rim/tire on it. To avoid that from happening i have wheel locks on all 4 of my trailer tires. 4 for the rv, 4 on each dump trailer, and 2 on the smaller enclosed. 14 boots in total but they are well worth the money. Sure they can replace all 4, but its better than only having it on one tire.

BearWise Landscapers
04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't heard of any trailers stolen while they had a boot. That is pretty bad.