PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Question.

Thomas1
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello. We just bought a new yard tractor (arriving friday). This will be our first tractor and I just wanted to see if there is any special things to look after with a hydrostatic transmission? The tractor is from sears, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128924000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Riding+Mowers+%26+Tractors&sName=View+All&filter=Category%7CView+All+Tractors%5EstoreOrigin%7CSears . We've never owned a hydrostatic transmission tractor so I just want to make sure it will last.

Any things to look after, or any tips for keeping it running good?

poncho62
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Not much to look after.....check the fluid level occasionally....Be advised...these lower priced models are lighter duty than the older ones....not meant for plows, blowers etc, just grass cutting.....be easy on it.

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
sure, keep it indoors. Don't let moisture get in the engine, it will rust your magnets on your flywheel, and make it hard to start, or make it not start. They are easy to clean. Most hydro units on those mowers are maintenance free. Pretty much they are throw away mowers. If something major goes wrong, you just get a new one. If you have a small yard, change the oil once a year. If you think you put more than 50 hours on it a year, change the oil twice a year. Keep the same type of oil in it. Don't mix different types of oil. Use the oil weight it tells you to use. Use a well known brand of oil. Try to keep the deck clean. Mow when it is dry to keep the deck from rusting.

Thomas1
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks. So far its just gunna be for pulling a cart and mainly just mowing the grass. One more question, do we need to add anything for the transmission like a special oil?

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I bet you have to pull the hydo transmission just to check it. Usually its 20-50 motor oil. It could be something different. I have been using a residential zero turn. The hydro was not even checked in 1000 hours. It was still full. I changed it because the mower was not designed to last that long. It used 20-50 motor oil. I doubt your owners manual will even say. You would need to get a service manual to find out.

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
I know a guy who has had his craftsman for 8 years with the hydro transmission. He has mowed about 4 acres of grass every week. It is running strong.

Thomas1
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Alright, I'll be sure to check in the manuel and look around the engine. Thanks JC Lawn and more and poncho62

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Not much to look after.....check the fluid level occasionally....Be advised...these lower priced models are lighter duty than the older ones....not meant for plows, blowers etc, just grass cutting.....be easy on it.

they actually make a quick attach system for plows and snow-blowers, but they are cheap. You barely buy the engine for the price of the whole machine. and any time. Swapping out engines are a piece of cake with that mower. That was a project I did last year. Guy went from a 16 hp single, to a 20hp twin.

betmr
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Follow ALL the recommendations in the Owner's Manual, Change oil on their recommendations and spec.s, use the fluids they recommend, and keep up with all their preventive maintenance, and you will be fine. Read the entire manual, there may be little things in there you don't think of. And use the Gasoline grade they recommend, the engine is tuned to it.

dfischer
04-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Sir:

No, it will not last. Go talk to your local deere dealer. He sells the same junk, and real stuff too. Odds are he won't give you a line of BS.

Yes, you'll hear otherwise from some.

Return it, slow down, and start reading and asking questions.

hint: I sold a 46" JD 265 four years ago that was 15 years old then, for $1600. And it was a good buy. As I recall I changed all the spindle bearings twice, changed all the fluids every 2, and bought 3-4 sets of blades. Think I had about $2100 in it. (bought it 2 years old). Sure it was a lot of tractor when all I needed was a riding mower. But it LASTED. And when I wanted to move a boat, tow a car, or a loaded landscape trailer, or a ... Hell, I pulled a float with it once. I had no fears. The thing was strong, tough as hell, and built right. It was an investment. You're buying a yugo.

Good luck to you!