PDA

View Full Version : boom for backpack sprayer

fastcat
03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
can someone tell me where i can find a boom for my backpack sprayer. i have a shurflo electric with solo wand. thanks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I'll be watching this thread intently as I have the same pack with the stock wand.

fastcat
03-31-2010, 10:21 PM
i thought some people on here has posted about it in the past but i cant find anything.

greendoctor
04-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Have a look at this. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=243068&highlight=walking+boom I apply to 5,000 sq ft in a few minutes with total accuracy and minimal drift. Holding a single floodjet tip high does not give me the same results and increases the hazards to non target vegetation. It is not hard for me to spray a couple acres with the boom if I hook up to a standard skid sprayer.

grassrat
04-01-2010, 07:14 AM
If you check the solo catalog comes with their back packs they make a dual nozzle set up it might not be a boom per say and can't tell how it works never used it but it is the replacement parts order form with item numbers. I guess you have a flat tip already, from the catalog maybe you can fabricate something to your liking, let me know what you come up with.

Turf Dawg
04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I just bought one from the place Larry at American suggested. The name of the place is Sprayer Specialties in Iowa. It was a Solo two nozzle boom that came with teejet 10003 tips. It was only 17 bucks plus shipping, [around 30 all together] too bad it did not fit my Stihl sprayer. I guess I will have to buy a different wand. Rittenhouse has a brass 2 and 3 nozzle, but they are pretty high, 60 and 80 dollars I think.

www.sprayers.com is the website [i think]

fastcat
04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
well i just ordered the solo 2 nozzle boom. i tryed to make one but the smallest rigid pipe i could find was still to big and it dripped like hell so screw it ill try this thing out. will post my results with it.

bare spot
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
question, would the attachments (sprayer hose's, nozzle tips and boom if available) be pretty interchangeable for different manufacturer's bp sprayer to get this type of setup. sorry for the newbe question, just getting going (got delayed in getting licensed) and now getting familiar with bp sprayer's, looking into a next wk purchase. anyway, would think it would, if sized right just wonder bout thread pattern. thanks

fastcat
04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
allright i got the boom FINALLY that i orderd from solo. i just callibrated it at .5 gal per k so i will be able to get 8k out of my backpack sprayer. i had it set on the highest pressure to get a good spray. when i calibrated it on the concrete it just dosent look like a lot of water i guess because the concrete absorbs it son fast but i coult propablt get it to cover 12-16 k but i just dont want it to be to light of a spray and get drift and not enough spray on the weeds.

Barefoot James
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
greendoctor - very nice. Any pics of you spraying with the walking boom?

greendoctor
01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I work alone. I am kind of the black sheep in the local industry because of my unconventional practices. No one else really uses liquid fertilizers or broadcast sprays residential lawns in this state. My definition of insanity is to spot spray a huge lawn using only a manual backpack sprayer when there is over 25% weed cover in that lawn. Because warm season grasses are usually more sensitive than cool season grasses, it is not hard to make a lawn look like a missile test site following that kind of treatment. I use a boom so that I can apply high potency herbicides without damaging the lawn or surrounding off target vegetation. It is so easy. Simply mark off a 1000 sq ft area, find out how much water is needed to cover with the boom, put the corresponding amount of product in the quantity of water required to cover, spray and done.

Barefoot James
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Is your boom home made? I see on the solo site they have a three noozle spray boom but it does not look like yours? Any directions on how to make one like you have?

greendoctor
01-13-2011, 07:46 PM
My boom is homemade. That wand it is attached to is also homemade. The boom consists of Teejet QJ17560A-1/2-NYB clamped onto 1/2 SCH 80 PVC nipples at 20" spacings. The attachment point to the wand is a 1/2" threaded tee with a 1/4" to 1/2" reducer bushing. Since that photo was taken, I switched out the plastic tee to an all brass one. The ends are capped with standard threaded caps. It is not hard for me to disassemble and flush out when needed. You will also notice that things are assembled using quick couplers as is found on pressure washers. Please use the stainless steel sockets and plugs. The zinc plated steel or brass ones do not hold up to lawn chemical usage. For nozzles, I use the Teejet AI110 series for most applications. Your mileage may vary, however a 11004 nozzle operated at 40 PSI indicated on the secondary pressure regulator will put down a gallon per 1,000 sq ft evenly and with good coverage of the weeds. A question was once asked about how I keep the boom from twisting if it is connected with the quick couplers. Ignore the cute remarks posted in the following thread and note the stainless steel u bolts and nuts. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258937&

ArizPestWeed
01-14-2011, 01:37 AM
I tried one of them booms from Solo , the problem is , you will run out of fluid fast and lot's of drift , use a mask .

You can get good results using a fan tip and hold it high enough to cover a larger area

I did not like using one , that was several years ago, so , don't remember that much .

You can make your own ele back pack sprayer much better than Shurflo , ya know ?