PDA

View Full Version : It hit the fan here....

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Man guys, have seen highs in the Upper 70's here the last two days, with another day of the same tomorrow. HIGHLY unusual for the Upper Midwest end of March. Heck, we had snow cover just over 2 weeks ago?!?!
The lawns really are greening up in front of my eyes. Rd 1 going to start probably a full 3 weeks early.

What a rush of calls and e-mails for ests....I am sure you can attest.
Its a fun time of year, albeit a little hectic. Wish you could spread some of this spring euphoria out over the whole year:)

SeedPro
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
You mean to tell me you haven't atarted round 1 yet?

I have over 300 customers and will be done by the end of next week. On to Seeding and first spring hort I and D's

What are you waiting for?

ajslands
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
What if we get a Late freeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

CHARLES CUE
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Yep the same thing here.i Have been spraying for the last 2 days it rained monday and was wet yesterday a lot better to day going to be 75 tomorrow 80 sat and sun to hot to quick
Charles Cue

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
For one thing I will have a tenth of the customers you have. Only my 2nd year (although I do other things than just lawns). I can get done with a round in 2-3 days. For another thing, we were fully dormant up to yesterday. I think there is a good window to do Rd 1 over the next couple weeks. I am watching soil temps.

Pls don't prejudge until you know the facts of who you are talking to. Don't worry, I won't miss Rd 1. Can always move from Barricade to Dimension ya know....

JDUtah
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
It's been snowing here all day. :(

ajslands
03-31-2010, 10:28 PM

Like real snow? ( snow that can be plowed) or snow that just melts when it hits the ground?
Posted via Mobile Device

pieperlc
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Warm here in N Illinois too, but soil temps are only in the low 40's. I like to wait 'til the last minute and spray the broadleaves when I put down my pre-m. Doing it this way saves a lot of calls asking when the do the weeds get sprayed.

ted putnam
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Warm here in N Illinois too, but soil temps are only in the low 40's. I like to wait 'til the last minute and spray the broadleaves when I put down my pre-m. Doing it this way saves a lot of calls asking when the do the weeds get sprayed.

Sometimes I wish I could wait until the last minute too. Customer count and cash flow do not allow that here...Maybe if I were full maintenance.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-01-2010, 12:11 AM
For one thing I will have a tenth of the customers you have. Only my 2nd year (although I do other things than just lawns). I can get done with a round in 2-3 days. For another thing, we were fully dormant up to yesterday. I think there is a good window to do Rd 1 over the next couple weeks. I am watching soil temps.

Pls don't prejudge until you know the facts of who you are talking to. Don't worry, I won't miss Rd 1. Can always move from Barricade to Dimension ya know....

Why would anyone wait? 2-3 days a round, or not there is no reason for it. Why put off till tomorrow what you can get done today? Get after it already.
NOW is the time to pick up new accounts. Be out there & people will ask/no BEG for a quote on the spot this time of the year. Every day that goes by the number of people needing to set up fert for the year gets lower-Kinda like musical chairs:usflag:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I am out doing landscaping and other misc bids guys, incl. fert/squirts. I am not sitting around waiting to throw prills.
Didn't figure I would catch heck on here from fellow lawn guys on this post. All I was sayin' was that this sharp warm up really made the phone/e-mail flow......

Laner
04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
DA -I agree. I haven't started my first round either and never have had much for issues with waiting until proper timing using Dimension. If I had more accounts I would have needed to start earlier, but we still have snow on the ground here in places. This is on some of the lawns that need Spring clean-ups before we do the first app.
Question for you guys that have a lot of customers -do you do split apps of Pre-M since you start the first app so early?

pieperlc
04-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Sometimes I wish I could wait until the last minute too. Customer count and cash flow do not allow that here...Maybe if I were full maintenance.

We are full maintenance, so we're not just sitting around waiting. We don't need 6 weeks to get our apps in either. Also, the way I schedule the apps, we won't get back to our full service accounts 'til June. We don't typically see crabgrass breakthrough until the second half of May here so we have plenty of time, plus killing frosts are typical in April and sometimes early May.

Young Bros
04-01-2010, 08:35 AM
We have 230 customers, 3.7 million sq ft round one. I used a rake yesterday to get rid of the rest of the snow banks in my yard. We will be starting with our southern towns today. We are far enough north we only have to do one app of crabgrass preventer. Competitiion just started this week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
We have 230 customers, 3.7 million sq ft round one. I used a rake yesterday to get rid of the rest of the snow banks in my yard. We will be starting with our southern towns today. We are far enough north we only have to do one app of crabgrass preventer. Competitiion just started this week.

Thanks for the vote of confidence from a guy who does biz not too far from me. I think I'll follow suit.

jasontimm
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm with you DA, i havent started yet, i'm brooming and thatching lawns yet, holly cow its dry, i'm looking at starting rd 1 monday, or at least early next week, i'm also looking at the ground temps.....it'll be fine, you cant compare southern states with MN...its apples and oranges

SeedPro
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
In my opinion guys that wait because of some mystical pre emergent window are just putting it off.

Crabgrass is over rated. I hardly ever see it and run 35-0-5 all chem on half my lawns in spring.

My way of thinking is, and call me sleazy if you want is to put down a good heavy coat early....BEFORE weeds pop, then do round 2 at 4 weeks with a light coat and heavy weed control.

Worst case scenario is adding weed control during round 1, which inevitably happens as I sell 1 until the last week of April but I get 90% done before adding WC.

Round 1 and round six are gravy apps unless you procrastinate.

Young Bros
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence from a guy who does biz not too far from me. I think I'll follow suit.

Got a few lawns done today before it was too windy. Looks like rain the next two days so we will hit it hard monday.
:weightlifter:

americanlawn
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
DA & Young Bros -- you guys are far enough north to where one app of pre will do the job. Even if you wait 'til May 1st, you'll still be fine. I don't care if it's Dimension or Evade. We are one zone south of you guys (central Iowa), so crabgrass pressure is higher here compared to your area. This week, four local LCO's stopped by to buy product from us. (18-0-5 w/0.375 Evade - Agrium). But they are in no hurry to apply PRE , and I don't blame 'em. They are concentrating on spring cleanups right now. Temps here hit over 80 degrees today, but normal is 55 with lows just above freezing.

We had fresh snow on the ground last week, but all of a sudden people think they're too late for crabgrass preventer. :laugh::laugh:

jasontimm
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
i'm no too worried, i havent seen chem lawn out yet.

MnLefty
04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
i'm no too worried, i havent seen chem lawn out yet.

Oh they're out... all over the SW metro here. But of course why not, they gotta get those flags out so they can take credit for mother nature greening things up in spring... it's got to be from the fertilizer right?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I saw TG out today for the first time. So, I believe I will get out on Rd 1 next week weather permitting.

jasontimm
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh they're out... all over the SW metro here. But of course why not, they gotta get those flags out so they can take credit for mother nature greening things up in spring... it's got to be from the fertilizer right?

I dont doubt it,i just really surprised i havent seen them in my area SE MN yet......or maybe i took all thier customers and i'll never see them again:laugh:

Turfdoctor1
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
DA. Don't listen to this guy. You obviously know your business and client base. You are right, it is a fun time of year--although stressful. Keep up the good work.

Turfdoctor1
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=SeedPro;3499644]Freeze? If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd get the suntan oil out and lay on the back porch in the nude.

That might sound better to me if you were a woman and went by the name "seedwhore" or something like that....:laugh::laugh:

I started R-1 on March 17 and finished today. Got 2 stragglers and a bunch of estimates and M&A's tomorrow.

Hey Ted. How many guys you got working for you now??? finished in 2 weeks. I'm impressed.

lawnproslawncare
04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
We have been quite warm here this week too. Add some rain and we'll be mowing by the end of next week with the cool temperatures coming next week.
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=ted putnam;3499696]

Hey Ted. How many guys you got working for you now??? finished in 2 weeks. I'm impressed.

Josh
That's how stressed out I am...actually, I'm a zombie. I should have typed Feb 17. My phone has been absolutely ringing off the hook. It took us 6 weeks nearly to the day to get Round 1 done. I have been working until 6, then coming back to the shop and working until dark, then on the computer catching up on production and entering new sales :dizzy: This time of year about does me in every year. I did take last week off to ski at Copper Mtn Colorado. My wife made me :laugh: My guys handled it while I was gone. It was a good Spring Break but I've paid for it this week. We spent the whole day today and we'll spend most of the day tomorrow running estimates and spraying new sales. Start Round 2 Monday.No way I could get 150 acres done in 2 weeks unless it was all in one spot.:laugh:

kirk1701
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM

Yea that same system is expected to pass through here Saturday.

LMAO
As thundertorms :laugh:

Turfdoctor1
04-02-2010, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=Turfdoctor1;3501299]

Josh
That's how stressed out I am...actually, I'm a zombie. I should have typed Feb 17. My phone has been absolutely ringing off the hook. It took us 6 weeks nearly to the day to get Round 1 done. I have been working until 6, then coming back to the shop and working until dark, then on the computer catching up on production and entering new sales :dizzy: This time of year about does me in every year. I did take last week off to ski at Copper Mtn Colorado. My wife made me :laugh: My guys handled it while I was gone. It was a good Spring Break but I've paid for it this week. We spent the whole day today and we'll spend most of the day tomorrow running estimates and spraying new sales. Start Round 2 Monday.No way I could get 150 acres done in 2 weeks unless it was all in one spot.:laugh:

Awesome Ted! Glad you got that week of skiing too.

That was almost my exact schedule, started Feb. 17, couple stragglers still. We started our R2 yesterday.

I have taken a couple days off for family today and Monday, and I know I will pay for it next week (or more likely, lose sales).

Young Bros
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Wind got up to thirty mph today. The best we to control weeds is early so we apply weed control round one. Knotweed is sprouting and perrenials are green. 5 years ago my boss sent me out on the magnum in 25 mph gusting to 40mph winds. He made me do it and the lawn looked like a zebra a few weeks later. So yeah, even if we are doing granular we have a wind cut off speed.

In this area March 15th is the start date every 5-10 years.

SeedPro
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I hate to say it but I am adding weed control Monday. April 5th. Ugh.

Normally I don't have to add it until April 20th.

CHARLES CUE
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I hate to say it but I am adding weed control Monday. April 5th. Ugh.

Normally I don't have to add it until April 20th.

All ready doing weed control If you see them shot them !
Charles Cue

SeedPro
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
All ready doing weed control If you see them shot them !
Charles Cue

I zapped a few side house weeds today with my little spray can of Amine stuff.

CHARLES CUE
04-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I zapped a few side house weeds today with my little spray can of Amine stuff.

most of the weeds are next to the houses or along side walks. Amine here to 85 deg time to bring out the sun screen the snow has made me white again and the sun is toasting me
Charles Cue