PDA

View Full Version : Early Season (2 weeks early)!!!!

TLS
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
You could hear the grass growing today.

Been doing this for 30 years this season and on average I start cutting the 2nd week of APRIL. I have lawns that need cutting NOW!

What a wacked winter it's been, and now this!?!

Anyone else having anxiety attacks over this!?:dizzy:

KPW LawnCare
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Yup but its a little hard to cut when all the yards are a swamp around here, gonna be 80 this weekend but it still wont dry it out enough.

Maple Wood
03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Facing the same thing here in Kansas. Record snowfall with below normal temps most of the winter and now the grass is growing like crazy. Had to start mowing today and it is about 2 weeks early. We got an early blizzard in the first part of November. Saw the ground for the first time 2 weeks ago and now BAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything needs done at once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy::cry::weightlifter::drinkup::confused::laugh:

TLS
03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Never EVER mowed in March before. Didn't this year, but easily could have had it not rained close to 5" the past few days!

tstutz
03-31-2010, 10:28 PM
i agree here in ks the grass is ready to mow. our baseball feild is very very thick and they have mowed it close to 5 times already

quiet
03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Interesting!

Down here, we're just barely starting green-up on our warm season grasses. This is very late for us - at least 2 weeks. A very cold (. . . well, chilly for the rest of the you) and very wet winter for us has delayed green-up a lot. I've just started mowing a full schedule this week - and it barely needs it. This is the first full week of balmy temps all year, and that's also very unusual and very late.

Our beautiful hybrid bermuda lawns are usually lush and beautiful by Masters weekend. Sure don't see it this year.

But I'm not gonna rush anything!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Agreed, I can see starting mowing 2 wks early here.
Normal = 1st week of May
This season = possibly mid April

Quite unreal!

Sammy
04-01-2010, 04:34 AM
I think it may be a dry season this year.

Tharrell
04-01-2010, 06:51 AM
It's gonna be a great year as long as fuel prices stay in line.
I posted a while back about actually seeing the grass grow from the morning to the afternoon here on the VA/NC state line.
I mowed 10 days ago and am going out to start my regular season today.
Good luck to all you guys this year. Tony

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Actually yes....the forsythia seem to have bloomed ealier too....Can't really put down fert/cg preventer Until today because of the county law...not that we use much of it...lawns are already going to need a cut...I start on wednesday....

ALC-GregH
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Tomorrow for me. Got a large 2 acre clean up today full of beds and trees.

highlander316
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
a few yes, but I'm holding off till the week of April 11, lots of landscape/mulch to do. We are mowing the ones we are working at though, since we are there and use the baggers for clean-up.

Tharrell
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I was in Winston-Salem NC today and EVERYBODY was out. Well, everybody but the scrubs, didn't see one.