PDA

View Full Version : How to find hidden sprinkler heads....?

Lawn Pawn
03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
I request clients mark their own sprinkler heads before I will aerate.......

Client tells me today their service guy will not be powering up system till May.
So is there a secret to locating all heads before they are activated?

Yes they should have a map!!! But we know that ain't the case. Any tricks for finding secreted heads. I do not know if they have any metal.... would a metal detector work?

It's OK to tell me if this is a stupid question.

AI Inc
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Ok, its a stupid question. Didnt want to do it but seeing no one else responded. Wait till system is fired up to aerate. Its easier to find Osama bin laden then it is to find sprinkler heads on a system thats not turned on.

Lawn Pawn
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Ok, its a stupid question. Didnt want to do it but seeing no one else responded. Wait till system is fired up to aerate. Its easier to find Osama bin laden then it is to find sprinkler heads on a system thats not turned on.

I agree.... and also when they have been neglected and too far below grade.

But they do a pre-emergent for weed control and ...need?... to get this down ASAP. Am I correct that the disruption of the soil after application of a pre-emergent renders it ineffective?

This is the reason I do no fert and squirt myself, and I may be incorrect on this. It would be better for all concerned if I AM wrong, and can aerate later.

AI Inc
04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes , if you are not overseeding with the aerate , you can do it later.