PDA

View Full Version : Grass Clumps On Driveway

l1nuxx
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
My wife and I cut a few lawns in the evenings to bring in some extra cash. We have a Toro Zero Turn Mower. We cut a yard yesterday and after wards the yard looked like crap. The grass was wet although it hasn't rained in a few days. The grass clumped up very bad. I can eliminate the clumping by using a bungee cord to hold up the plastic guard where the grass comes out. However, with me weed eating and my wife mowing I'm always afraid she's going to redirect a rock toward my head (on accident of course). Not to mention with the guard up it throws grass everywhere and grass that lands on the driveway when wet tends to stick. Thus making everything look even more crappy. Any suggestions?

Dano50
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
A good coat of Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) under the deck will help with the clumping.

JB1
04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
pay more attention to what your doing.

l1nuxx
04-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks JB1. The world would be lost without educated advice like the one you just provided.

lotsagrass
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
If it's clumping I'd say you're cutting too much off at one time...more than the mower/deck can handle at once anyway. If your mower can't handle that, it seems to me the only option would be to cut off less per mowing - mow the yard twice for example if you can't get it to the height you need it with just one mowing.

l1nuxx
04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks lotsagrass.....

l1nuxx
04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks lotsagrass... We'll defiantly give that a try next time.

EvenCutLawnCare
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey l1nuxx what kind of toro are you using? Is it a commercial or residential mower? Residential series mowers don't have the blade speed or the higher quality decks of the commercial mowers which will cause excess clumping. In either case if you don't have high lift blades I would get a set of those to increase air flow which will disperse clipping better. You may also try to lift the discharge chute just a little for better dispersal but it will still direct stones down better than the chute being completely raised.

FourTrees
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Bag It! It looks much better.