PDA

View Full Version : Echo High Torque Trimmer

fredmullegun
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I am in need of a new trimmer and am curious about these. I assume the feature is just a lower gear? How much does this change the line speed and does anyone dislike them?

bakerboy
04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I have one and I love it. It goes through everything. If it is really thick stuff the head slows down a bit but the engine never bogs down.

weve
04-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I assume the feature is just a lower gear? How much does this change the line speed and does anyone dislike them?

You are correct. It is geared lower. Last year I purchased the high torque attachment for my PAS system. It's like shifting down one gear lower than the standard trimmer. You need to keep the engine speed up. It cuts better in heavy thick growth.

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I have one and I love it. It goes through everything. If it is really thick stuff the head slows down a bit but the engine never bogs down.

You got the 265T or the 280T ?

LALawnboy
04-02-2010, 01:09 AM
I have the SRM-265T and love it. I also have a regular 265 that I converted over to a high torque model. There's a definite power difference between the two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I also have a regular 265 that I converted over to a high torque model.

You just change over the gearbox, correct?

topsites
04-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Torque on a high speed application, what a joke, the Echo corporation
really needs to improve either their sales line or better yet, their products.
Because I heard that same exact sales line 7-8 years ago...

And they're not bad trimmers, but don't try and sell me an application that depends on speed that...
Has lots of torque :dizzy:

If such a thing were true I would produce a trimmer that runs at 1 rpm and 3,000 pounds of torque,
then compare that to a trimmer that turns 3,000 rpm's at 1 pound of torque.

Not that I think either of those exist, nor am I certain if 1 pound of torque is sufficient to overcome inertia...
But assuming it is, which would cut the grass?

Alan0354
04-02-2010, 03:05 AM
I always question: Isn't it better to have a model with a 30cc engine and leave the gear ratio alone? You want more torque, make a bigger engine!!!!

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 03:35 AM
I wish they had've gone with a solid shaft with the high torque model. Actually, I for the life of me can't figure out why Echo just doesn't drop cables on all their straight shaft trimmers.

Why have a cable in a straight shaft trimmer?!!?

Just Mow
04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Get the STIHL FS90r or 100RX if you want torque and tip speed. Much better trimmer

ed2hess
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Torque on a high speed application, what a joke, the Echo corporation
really needs to improve either their sales line or better yet, their products.
Because I heard that same exact sales line 7-8 years ago...

And they're not bad trimmers, but don't try and sell me an application that depends on speed that...
Has lots of torque :dizzy:

If such a thing were true I would produce a trimmer that runs at 1 rpm and 3,000 pounds of torque,
then compare that to a trimmer that turns 3,000 rpm's at 1 pound of torque.

Not that I think either of those exist, nor am I certain if 1 pound of torque is sufficient to overcome inertia...
But assuming it is, which would cut the grass?
Settle down Tops I worked on this project about 8 years ago with the guy that came up with the idea at Scag wholesale outlet. He simply put an edger gear head on the unit which resulted in the head turning slower but now the unit could pull a full 21" of cord without bogging the engine down.. I had told him about the ports clogging when we removed the guards and he concluded it was due to not being able to run the engine at top rpm. He was correct. The only question was whether the head turnign slower would result in lost productivity...the answer for us on 10 trimmers was we loved it. But apparently a lot of folks still like the heads turning more rpm for some reason.

mictrik
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I have an Stihl FS90R (solid shaft) and an Echo SRM-230 (flex shaft), both are good units. The echo is lighter and more nimble so I use that for most of the trimming / edging. I have the pruner (Chainsaw) attachment for the FS90R and keep a brush blade on it most of the time. The FS90R starts 1 pull all of the time and may have a little more power than the SRM-230. The SRM-230 starts 2 pulls from cold.
The Flex shaft is claimed to "absorb" vibration and resist damage from impacts that could cause the shaft to break. The solid shaft should accelerate a little quicker; negligible with a string head...

I like the Stihl 4-mix engine, it has been strong and reliable... However I still think that a two cycle can provide the same power with less weight.

metro36
04-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I have the echo 280T. I really like the lower line speed and more power. I run them with the guard on and only in really tall thick wet weeds will it bog down. I am not that crazy about the new style echo engines but that is a different story.

fredmullegun
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I bought the 280T and you can tell that the line speed is reduced but it does not hurt performance from what I can see.

I guess technically it would not be a good finish cut but it is trim work so who cares.

Merkava_4
04-04-2010, 08:14 PM
mictrik,

Is your FS90R quieter than your SRM-230 - both at full throttle?

Turf Dawg
04-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I bought a SRM260T, kept it for a few days and took it back. I know several people like these units but I hated the slow head speed. Unless I am trimming around something that might get damaged I run the wide open and walk fast and I could tell a big difference in the "T" model. I guess if you are cutting some tall stuff they might be nice, but give me a high RPM head any day of the week.