PDA

View Full Version : Walker GHS systm

hunting202
06-25-2002, 01:27 AM
I have a '96 20hp Walker with a 42" deck. The GHS system works on and off. The thing will beep at me, but the chute won't turn about half the time. I called my local shop and they told me it may be a grounding problem. I don't have a week to let them look at it though. Any suggestions. Thanks.

southside
06-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Check all the associated wiring for the chute motor. Check for damage wire insulation and loose fittings.
Usually what causes intermittent faults like these.

hunting202
06-25-2002, 11:15 AM
i wiggle the plug underneath the catcher and that works sometimes. I will also play with the wires right underneath the motor. I am wondering if I need to take the whole rotating motor out, and if that would be too hard?

captdevo
06-27-2002, 05:28 AM
bad ground on the powerfil motor.

clean the ground wire and contact, and clean off where powerfil motor mounts to the box.

if it works when you mess with the connection, you might need to crimp/solder ground terminal to ground wire.

SoMaineGrass
05-17-2003, 11:16 PM
The Alarm/Oscillator doesn't work on my machine either.
If you pay attention to the sound of the blower, even with hearing protection on, you can tell when the bagger is full or you have a clog developing. My ear muffs have a radio and I can tell even with the local modern rock station blaring. Now I couldn't care less if the alarm works.

Just a thought

LAWNPROzII
05-18-2003, 02:49 AM
We had the almost the same problem with ours took it in to the shop and the problem was that the hooper was warped so they adjusted the oscillator and works fine now.

grasscutter122003
08-08-2003, 07:57 PM
I've got a 96 walker with the 25 hp Kohler. Mine was doing that but it turned out to be the blade engagement handle not going up all the way because of the air intake snorkel. "Re-adjusted" snorkel mount and the problem is gone.

shopbytch
06-07-2004, 12:10 PM
The powerfil is a nice luxery, but they are delicate and when they start to fail, it burns out the 30A circuit breaker. I give it one attempt and if it doesn't work-screw it. The horn goes from getting wet too often anyways.

fixer67
06-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by captdevo
bad ground on the powerfil motor.

clean the ground wire and contact, and clean off where powerfil motor mounts to the box.

if it works when you mess with the connection, you might need to crimp/solder ground terminal to ground wire.

I work in a Walker Dealer Ship. The only reason for the connector at the back of the hopper is it makes putting the hopper on quicker and easier at the factory. I have crimped and solder a few my self. All that grass corrodes all the connections. I have had to clean a few grounds on them my self.

fixer67
06-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by shopbytch
The powerfil is a nice luxery, but they are delicate and when they start to fail, it burns out the 30A circuit breaker. I give it one attempt and if it doesn't work-screw it. The horn goes from getting wet too often anyways.

I do not understand your problem. First thing is the motor for the power-fill is a 24 volt motor being ran on a 12 volt system. If the motor locked solid it would not trip a 30 amp breaker. That is why Walker uses a 24 volt motor in the first place. You must have a pinched wire or something going to it that is blowing fuses. That wet grass bit has me a little puzzled as well. Never see that happen. True the buzzer takes very little current to run but I do not thank that water in the switch which is sealed when new would give it enough current to buzz. I will have to do some test on that.

shopbytch
06-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I meant that the horns stop working after about 2-3 years(from corrosion?). And every circuit breaker near the battery has been replaced or hot wired(over worked from the powerfil motor being stopped from too much grass).Our old junk is overworked by overworked workers. After three years electrical/corrosional problems start breaking connections (so what-just get the good old schematic out). Once in a while I have to lift the deck to unplug the chute, but I learned the vibrations and can see grass trails when I'm full too.