PDA

View Full Version : Damn egr valve!

bobcat_ron
04-01-2010, 04:00 PM
WORTHLESS PIECE OF SH*T EGR SYSTEMS!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my F450 and trailer loaded in town yesterday, stopped at a red light, noticed the 2 speed cooling fan system was running longer than it should, and I was in town, flat level ground, then the light turns green and I give it some juice, NOTHING!! It just chokes and sputters and coughs, I look at my right side mirror and I see plumes of black smoke, I take my foot off the pedal and let it clear and try again, all it does is lurch forward and choke.

Now I got 15 people behind me honking and swearing to get going and the light has just turned yellow.

Damn it!!

So I gave the pedal 1 last effort and off it took, completely smoked the yuppy beside me. I made 3 trips to the next town, and I burned through a 3/4 of a tank of fuel with 35 minutes of highway driving in between trips, loaded.
This is not acceptable for an "Emissions Controls Device" to get stuck, cycle and choke the engine and guzzle more fuel, all the while raising my EGT's to 900F while towing, I hit a cross wind and it jumps to 950F, yikes, and it's not even Summer yet.

So Tuesday it goes to my BD Performance shop, the EGR delete and custom side stack exhaust goes on, the hell with this god damned emissions bullsh*t.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
EGR + tune never have that problem again.

bobcat_ron
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
EGR + tune never have that problem again.

I won't do a tuner, my truck has more than enough power to get the job done, I just wanted to get rid of the excessive heat build up.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I won't do a tuner, my truck has more than enough power to get the job done, I just wanted to get rid of the excessive heat build up.

You still need a tune for the delete just so it doesn't throw codes as far as I know.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I'am surprised you would have EGR problems with the weight you carry but you are on flat land most of the time.

Yes the weak link is the emmissions crap. Remove it and put some tuning on it the engine is just like the 7.3 with more power.

There is some options put in a sneaky pipe and leave the EGR cooler in or remove the whole deal.

For a tempory solution is yank out the EGR valve wash it put it back in making sure it is closed and unplug it for now. I never had clogging problems all mine have failed from electrical problems.

I have a feeling you might have a boost leak you said you had a bunch of black smoke it sounds like your intercooler boots have a leak somewhere.

Are you running synthetic if not switch trust me it cures lots of problems ever since I became a 5w-40 convert the engine runs better. It is like giving a cat cat nip :laugh:

bobcat_ron
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I only have black smoke when the engine chokes on the exhaust due to the EGR valve sticking and malfunctioning, it goes away as soon as the valve operates normally.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Well drop a new EGR valve in for now and when you get the 2 grand saved up for the EGR delete get it done. Just wrestling that old EGR valve out can be a pain but it is easy enough with a big pair of channel locks.

bobcat_ron
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Well drop a new EGR valve in for now and when you get the 2 grand saved up for the EGR delete get it done. Just wrestling that old EGR valve out can be a pain but it is easy enough with a big pair of channel locks.

BD quoted me $525 for the EGR delete and $575 for the stacks, labour and parts total, $1725.00.
The stacks are on sale right now.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't think you would want to put stacks on a 6.0 the whistle will be too loud. The egr delete sounds reasonable enough that is good to know.

westcoh
04-02-2010, 12:42 AM
If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time I'd say the egr delete is definitely worthwhile. I know my duramax will be losing the egr this summer.

bobcat_ron
04-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I plan on keeping it for at least another year, so let's make the last bit of time I have with it fun and annoying for anyone caught near it early in the morning.

westcoh
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I gotta say the turbos on those early 6.0's are crazy loud when they're straight piped. I did a job last summer on a fairly busy road and every morning I could hear this one 6.0 powerstroke coming from a mile away. Don't know what he'd all done to the truck but that thing sounded like a rolls royce jet engine screaming past you.

Gravel Rat
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
The 2003 year is a whistler the 04-07s are pretty loud aswell if you straight pipe them. The Duramax uses a similar turbo but they don't whistle like the 6.0.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZwPzjDfxs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgDCBidlcg

bobcat_ron
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Well this will make you drool.
The sound at high idle in the morning is like standing on the tarmac when a jet warms up.
I will set up a new PhotoBucket account shortly, as I have already put together a small video, but I am still searching for the video I made before I did the stacks.
Enjoy!

bobcat_ron
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Well here's some more pics, before and after:
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/Pictures4794.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/Pictures4811.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/Pictures4812.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/Pictures4814.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/Pictures4813.jpg

I spent 2 hours repairing the BD Exhaust brake, Gravel Rat, I remember you said your old F450 had one too that never worked right, I got mine working, and the solution was so simple, it was stupid. If you know of anyone with the same issues that I had (air not getting to the cylinder) get back to me.
Now when the brake cuts off, it's a hell of a BANG inside the pipes and it really scares the wild life.

The video:
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/th_783a83ff.jpg (http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/bigbrotheriswatching_2010/?action=view&current=783a83ff.flv)

Gravel Rat
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
You may have to put some kind of muffler on there or a resonator. You have to get a video of the truck running down the road.

My 2006 doesn't have a exhaust brake the one on the 2003 I disconnected when had the turbo replaced.

More importantly did you have the EGR removed and if so do you notice a difference in power. How many hours did it take BD to do the job doing the EGR removal.

bobcat_ron
04-09-2010, 08:28 PM
You may have to put some kind of muffler on there or a resonator. You have to get a video of the truck running down the road.

My 2006 doesn't have a exhaust brake the one on the 2003 I disconnected when had the turbo replaced.

More importantly did you have the EGR removed and if so do you notice a difference in power. How many hours did it take BD to do the job doing the EGR removal.

The EGR valve was left in place, but the wires were cut and the ECU was programmed to ignore it basically, the cooler and tube were removed completely. The throttle response is instant, no lag after you come out of a corner. BD told me it took 5 hours to do the EGR delete.
As for the bill, I would rather not say, I could a whole lot of new tires for that price, and I need to see how this affects my fuel economy, some say it makes it worse, so maybe a tuner is needed down the road, but let's have some fun in the mean time.
2200 and 3100 rpm is the LOUDEST, at 2200 I can feel vibrations in my back with the Genie lift I moved this morning, and when you back off, you can really hear the turbo whine, as well as when it's chugging in 4th gear in town, the VGT spools up big time, what a beautiful noise.

Gravel Rat
04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
If they did it in 5 hours that isn't too bad because you do have to strip the top of the engine. You will notice the engine runs a little cooler I don't think it will change your EGTs.

Nice to know that BD does EGR removals I assume they would do head studs aswell.

You do need to switch to 5w-40 synthetic oil if you haven't already because it makes a huge difference with the 6.0.

I will be curious to see how the long term pans out with the work you had done.

Do you still have the stock General tire that are 5 years old you are a brave man :dizzy:

Ramairfreak98ss
04-10-2010, 07:46 AM
my 06 f350 with 53k just had the egr or gaskets replaced, smoking white smoke at the lights and eating coolant.. :/

bobcat_ron
04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
My EGT's dropped 150F, I do have a video of pulling a lift up a bypass hill I always take, and I can do it again with the same sequence.
The boost has gone up a bit, only about 2-5psi, but once the speed tops out, it falls back down.
The tires on the front have a bounce in them at 75km/h, then as soon as I get over it, they stop, I had that same issue with my stockers on the 1991 F450.
But so far no zippers.

Gravel Rat
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
The guys at Kal Tire said to me you really have to watch General LMT series tires in the 19.5 sizes they may look okay on the outside but inside the tire they start coming apart. I have Michelins on the front and Bridgstones on the rear of my 06 and got rid of the General tires that were on it. Once you have experienced the better handling tires you will wonder why you kept using the General Tires.

Like I said it will be curious to see what the long term results will be with your truck.