PDA

View Full Version : My idea offerred to all, easy way to lock up your equipment!

FLAhaulboy
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I was talking to a fellow down in Miami years ago who was once in the lawn care business but his blowers, weed eaters etc were being stolen out of the back of his truck. This idea immediately popped into my head. I already had the chain & bought the cuffs at Harbor Freight for $10. I haven't done it yet but was going to add several short chains to the long chain and add additional handcuffs.

I think this is the perfect way to lock up my equipment, you can see where I locked the cuff on my BR 600. There are plenty of small spots where the cuff will lock, on the pole of a weed eater, the back trigger area of a chainsaw, the under carriage of a wheelbarrow etc.

I carry the cuff key on my key chain. A long key would be better but mine is a short key. I thought I'd share my idea with you guys. Oh, my welder charged me $5 to weld it to together also. Overall, a cheap & very secure way to lock up unattended equipment!

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=3066

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=3067

BearWise Landscapers
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I like the idea. Do you think it would make your business significantly less efficient to have to lock and unlock those cuffs at every jobsite?

Lazer_Z
04-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I've got an easier way, although the way I did it cost about $3,200.00. An enclosed trailer, good luck with your idea though, hope it works out the way you want.

bob
04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I've heard that there are only a couple of types of handcuff keys. So , almost anyone with a handcuff key , can open your cuffs. ( I'm not bashing your idea, I just don't want to read about you in the "stolen" forum!)

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I've got an easier way, although the way I did it cost about $3,200.00. An enclosed trailer, good luck with your idea though, hope it works out the way you want.

How is locking you trailer easier every-time you grab a piece of equipment?

lifetree
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I've got an easier way, although the way I did it cost about $3,200.00. An enclosed trailer ...

:laugh: :laugh:

topsites
04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I have to admit, this is a pretty good idea and I think that would look so cool, too.
I also find Harbor Freight is a neat store, glad to see other folks enjoy shopping there.
Thanks for sharing!

FLAhaulboy
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
"I like the idea. Do you think it would make your business significantly less efficient to have to lock and unlock those cuffs at every jobsite? "

Better to spend a minute or two to unlock a tool rather than having someone drive up and snatch your expensive weed eater etc in SECONDS & be gone!

Re Harbor Freight: It is a cool place to shop & their prices beat Home Depot/Lowes. Most of the stuff is made in China but seems to be good quality. They put out an ad here in the local paper on Sunday's, coupon for a free (awesome) flashlight & a 20% off coupon on any (1) item. I have three flashlights already!

Runner
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Yeah, we got the same flyer up here. And speaking of security, they have those alarm things on sale, too. These things are cheap and work GREAT! They are a motion type detector and work for a couple hundred feet. They work great for putting in front of your garage doors or beside your driveway. They ring a doorbell like chime through the cordless receiver in your house.

LandscapeSavannah
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Where would you get an alarm like that? That is an interesting idea. There is a guy here that had an enclosed trailer, hooked up to his truck, backed up to his fence, in his driveway; yet the a holes TORCHED his hitch off and pulled the trailer out of there anyway to break into it in a safer location. Wow. I think it was someone he knew. You wouldn't go through all the effort if you didn't know how good the stuff inside was.

GreenmanCT
04-02-2010, 12:08 AM
i do a similare thing, but no handcuffs. i just loop the chain through the backpack and trhough the string trimmer handle. i only do it when i go into the north end of hartford to mow the mcdonalds there.

chuacro
04-02-2010, 01:04 AM
I use cable locks of all lenghts to secure my equipment. I set my backpack blower down 20 ft from my truck to take a coffee break. The crazy sob acted like he was in a football game and scooped it up and ran like he was making a touch down. I will rule the day the next person does this.

SharpLawnCare
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I have to admit, this is a pretty good idea and I think that would look so cool, too.
I also find Harbor Freight is a neat store, glad to see other folks enjoy shopping there.
Thanks for sharing!

The one thing i hate the most is Harbor Freight! It should be called the china store. Buy Real tools!

topsites
04-02-2010, 01:45 AM
The one thing i hate the most is Harbor Freight! It should be called the china store. Buy Real tools!

omg don't buy up a whole lot, buy just one and see how it works, then if it does
work out all right you buy more, if not you know what not to buy more of lol.

Another trick is never buy the stuff at full price, I always wait until something I need goes on sale,
almost everything I bought from HF was at least 20% off, some things 30%, a few 50%.
Of course, you have to sign up for the flier.
Don't see Northern sending out weekly fliers with them kind of deals...

And be prepared to lose out on a few, but I have to say that overall I'm pleased, about a good half of all my tools came from there.

So after 3-4 years the $30 1/2" air gun I bought isn't working as good anymore, matter of fact it hardly sputters ...
Yet the $100 Chicago Pneumatic from Northern still is but it's also not 100%...
I can buy three of those $30 ones and still have money left over, now give it 10 years and I'll tell you if my CP is still kicking it.
Conversely the $200 or so air compressor from Northern lasted almost exactly 3 years, and blew up.
While the $120 air compressor from HF that I bought as replacement is kicking into its third or fourth year...

How much you pay for a backpack sprayer?
I think the HF ones were like $20, I got one, works great, will have to get another soon.

So granted I win some and lose some, but overall I'd say with HF I win more than I lose.

GreenmanCT
04-02-2010, 01:59 AM
i got that same $120 air compressor, works great. Harbor frieght aint has some sweet deals, but i dont recommend buying thier black "heavy duty" bungees, complete crap.

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 02:00 AM

to start this post off id like to say im a fan of craftsman hand tools except their hammers (im an estwing fan) and i love bosch power tools but if i only needed something for one instance id totally buy it from harbor freight its so much cheaper there.. only thing i ever bought from there and didnt like was a trailer hitch it was a 2" ball with 0 drop for some reason the hitch liked to move around in the receiver and yes i picked up the free flashlight its super bright great for the glovebox or toolbox id say im in harbor freight twice a month just looking around

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 02:14 AM
btw i forgot to say that having the cuffs to lock the equipment is also a good idea because they look like handcuffs come on try to steal that see the irony?

SharpLawnCare
04-02-2010, 02:20 AM
omg don't buy up a whole lot, buy just one and see how it works, then if it does
work out all right you buy more, if not you know what not to buy more of lol.

Another trick is never buy the stuff at full price, I always wait until something I need goes on sale,
almost everything I bought from HF was at least 20% off, some things 30%, a few 50%.
Of course, you have to sign up for the flier.
Don't see Northern sending out weekly fliers with them kind of deals...

And be prepared to lose out on a few, but I have to say that overall I'm pleased, about a good half of all my tools came from there.

So after 3-4 years the $30 1/2" air gun I bought isn't working as good anymore, matter of fact it hardly sputters ...
Yet the $100 Chicago Pneumatic from Northern still is but it's also not 100%...
I can buy three of those $30 ones and still have money left over, now give it 10 years and I'll tell you if my CP is still kicking it.
Conversely the $200 or so air compressor from Northern lasted almost exactly 3 years, and blew up.
While the $120 air compressor from HF that I bought as replacement is kicking into its third or fourth year...

How much you pay for a backpack sprayer?
I think the HF ones were like $20, I got one, works great, will have to get another soon.

So granted I win some and lose some, but overall I'd say with HF I win more than I lose.

It must make you feel all warm and fuzzy, know some poor kid made that tool for you. or you supported some type of terrorist group. regardless Atleast i can say that 80% of what i own is made in America and i put back into our country, and put food on one someone table here.

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 02:23 AM
It must make you feel all warm and fuzzy, know some poor kid made that tool for you. or you supported some type of terrorist group. regardless Atleast i can say that 80% of what i own is made in America and i put back into our country, and put food on one someone table here.

there is a political forum on this site also seems like youd like that

T.M. LAWNS
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
to start this post off id like to say im a fan of craftsman hand tools except their hammers (im an estwing fan) and i love bosch power tools but if i only needed something for one instance id totally buy it from harbor freight its so much cheaper there.. only thing i ever bought from there and didnt like was a trailer hitch it was a 2" ball with 0 drop for some reason the hitch liked to move around in the receiver and yes i picked up the free flashlight its super bright great for the glovebox or toolbox id say im in harbor freight twice a month just looking around

Harbor freight is great,I need to make a trip back down there one of these days. Thanks for reminding me Hawg City! :laugh::laugh:

Yater
04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I had my trimmer and blower stolen 2 years ago. I showed up to a job, got out to grab my trimmer....GONE. Nothing pisses me off more. I lock my stuff every time I leave my truck/trailer. I use a huge cable and one of those round master locks. If they actually have a grinder handy (what are the chances?), they got me.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
to start this post off id like to say im a fan of craftsman hand tools except their hammers (im an estwing fan)

I still have a pile of hammers left over from when I did carpentry. 2 or 3 Estwings, 2 Plumbs and an old California Framer. I used a Custom Leathercraft #960-1 2-1/2" belt with 2 leather pouches.

As far as my mechanical tools go. The huge bulk of them are Craftsman.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/DSCN0472.jpg

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
I still have a pile of hammers left over from when I did carpentry. 2 or 3 Estwings, 2 Plumbs and an old California Framer. I used a Custom Leathercraft #960-1 2-1/2" belt with 2 leather pouches.

As far as my mechanical tools go. The huge bulk of them are Craftsman.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/DSCN0472.jpg

i actually went to state construction contest in 2007 construction is still a passion of mine i find it relaxing until something doesnt work out like you wanted it to id love to get one of those new craftsman tool boxes that has the leds in the drawers have you guys seen that one?

Richard Martin
04-03-2010, 06:06 AM
id love to get one of those new craftsman tool boxes that has the leds in the drawers have you guys seen that one?

$$$$$$$$$$$

Lazer_Z
04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
How is locking you trailer easier every-time you grab a piece of equipment?I don't, I'm speaking from a security standpoint. If big @ss chains and handcuffs work for you than that's great, keep using that method.

:laugh: :laugh:What the hell is so funny?

FLAhaulboy
04-04-2010, 10:49 PM

What? These are real tools, they just happen to be made in China! Sure, I'd buy American made products IF I could find them and the prices were reasonably but this isn't always possible.

HF has an excellent reputation. I went by there today to buy a sprayer but they were "closed" for Easter. I was disappointed but surprised they were closed in reverence to a Godly holiday! I thought, wow. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart & everybody else was OPEN today.

Got another free flashlight & 20% off coupon out of the paper today :laugh:, It'll be my 5th flashlight! Cool lil flashlight, AL metal, includes (3) AAA batteries already in the flashlight, bunch of lil light bulbs in it that will blind you! No single bulb in this rascal.

I like freebies! I just bought a Stihl Kombi 130 w/the tiller attachment, & other misc items..($600+)..I asked my Stihl dealer for a "free" Stihl cap (duh) & he gives me a Gravely cap instead...good thing I happen to own a Gravely :hammerhead:

Richard Martin
04-05-2010, 06:54 AM
What? These are real tools, they just happen to be made in China! Sure, I'd buy American made products IF I could find them and the prices were reasonably but this isn't always possible.

You can find real American made affordable tools right at Sears. If you think Sears tools are expensive then I want you to look at the tools from Mac.

SharpLawnCare
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
If the tool does not say. MADE IN THE USA. i don't buy.:usflag:

Accu-cut Lawn Care
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Those chain handcuff locks look like a good way to wrangle wayward employees!:)

Frontier-Lawn
04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

sorry but on last nights local news some guy pulled up to a house a2am and stole a guys 6x12 enclosed trailer and the camera was looking right at it locked up.

beegreenlandcare
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree. Some people just don't get it.
And then turn around and complain why our economy sucks and there are no decent jobs:confused:

FLAhaulboy
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I agree. Some people just don't get it.
And then turn around and complain why our economy sucks and there are no decent jobs:confused:

Oh I get it. Greedy "American" companies MOVED to Mexico, Asia & China, Firing hundreds of thousands of employees, putting "profit" as their first priority. The majority of U.S. businesses care about nothing but the bottom line. The consumer is left with few choices of what to buy and what they can "afford" to buy. Talking about Sears/Craftsman, Sears sells plenty of items made in China, So are you loyal Craftsman customers boycotting Sears? I doubt it.

Our economy sucks for a lot of reasons but to blame the consumer for buying foreign products, as a direct cause? Maybe but maybe not. I shop for quality & price. I buy what serves me best, not some overpriced brand name product.

Rant rant rant....

FLAhaulboy
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
More rant:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/sears_craftsman.html

"Suit Hits Sears "Made In USA" Claim

December 8, 2004
A class action lawsuit against Sears, Roebuck and Co alleges that Sears conducted false advertising and consumer fraud by advertising that its Craftsman tool line is "Made in the USA."

The suit alleges that promotions in ads, the website, on signs and labels claiming that Craftsman is "Made in the USA" led consumers to purchase the tools out of a sense of patriotism. Consumers were also led to believe that Craftsman is of high quality because it is "Made in the USA."

Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark, China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

"Sears has falsely touted Craftsman tools as 'Made in the USA' when the Federal Trade Commission has issued guidelines stating that such a claim is proper only where all or substantially all of the product is U.S.A. made. Sears Craftsman is misleading consumers by invoking that claim," said Barbara J. Hart, attorney for the tool buyers.

The lawsuit, which seeks class-action status and unspecified damages, was filed last week in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan.

Tool buyers Kenneth Vigiletti, Sidney Hyatt and Elaine Hyatt are the plaintiffs named in the suit.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/sears_craftsman.html#ixzz0kNgnCAl5
----------------

Hmmm:

"
Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark, China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

Sounds like ANOTHER greedy American company huh? Better check YOUR craftsman tools, might of been made IN CHINA!

kemco
04-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I bought a few "handcuff" type cable locks at Lowe's a few years ago and they have worked well for us. These are about 6ft long I think with a single handcuff on one end attached to a pretty darn thick (5/8" maybe) cable, and then a loop on the other end. alll covered with plastic We just wrap cable around one of the side bars of the trailer, put the cuff end through the loop, then just cuff the handle of the mower, or blower, etc. Real quick to do. Master Lock 8295DPS Quantum Cuff Cable Lock is the model.

Hawg City Lawns
04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Oh I get it. Greedy "American" companies MOVED to Mexico, Asia & China, Firing hundreds of thousands of employees, putting "profit" as their first priority. The majority of U.S. businesses care about nothing but the bottom line. The consumer is left with few choices of what to buy and what they can "afford" to buy. Talking about Sears/Craftsman, Sears sells plenty of items made in China, So are you loyal Craftsman customers boycotting Sears? I doubt it.

Our economy sucks for a lot of reasons but to blame the consumer for buying foreign products, as a direct cause? Maybe but maybe not. I shop for quality & price. I buy what serves me best, not some overpriced brand name product.

Rant rant rant....

i never said anything like that... i like my craftsman tools but if i find a tool i like made in djibouti by god im gonna buy it i dont care where its made if it gets the job done

Richard Martin
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
December 8, 2004

So how did that ever work out for the paintiffs? That lawsuit was brought quite some time ago. They surely must have settled it by now.

If I saw Made In China on my Sears hand tools the end would be here. Then I would have to join the millions of other uncaring Americans and just buy cheap, poorly made Chinese tools I guess. I've seen and used some of the tools from Harbor Freight. They are of lesser quality than the same tools you can buy from Sears even if those Sears tools are made in China. The sockets strip out quicker. The screw drivers break easier. The rachets are just plain junk.