PDA

View Full Version : Tool boxes

Z-master man
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
What do you guys have for tool boxes in the beds of your trucks and what do you carry in them?

mowisme
04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
guess I'll be first- just a plain 'deep' alluninum box made for a truck. It locks so I keep little bit of everything at times. usually thou I keep pruning shears- hand tools-wratchet set,..extra chain- come-a-long, chainsaw if I need it. occasionally I'll put gas can in..but depends if I'm at a parking lot and going inside a building. I also at times put my hand blower in there. in fall I take box out and haul leaves in bed (bagged) so then I just take what I have too in cab behind seat- rest on trailer.

WH401
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I like Weatherguard. They're a little pricey, but they're definitely built to last.

PonyExpress94
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
X 2 for Weatherguard. My dad, brother, and I have them on our trucks and they are the best boxes out there. If you buy them from a local vendor usually you can order replacement latches, keys, lid struts. If you have multiple boxes on the truck you can get them keyed alike. I carry hand tools, spare oil, coolant, fuel and oil filters, and my trailer hitches. My dad is an electrical contractor so he has three toolboxes full of all his meters, wire, drills, saws, spare parts, wirenuts, fittings, conduit benders, trailer hitches, etc.

Oh yeah, the best thing we ever did was get the inside of the toolboxes on our trucks sprayed with Rhino Liner. $200 and you never get the aluminum dust on your stuff from sliding on the bare aluminum finish.

Z-master man
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Anybody have "under rail" boxes? Like the type that sits in the bed but you can have like a toneo cover over it?

petroskie
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I like tool boxes but my f150 has a 6ft bed and with a box that eats up space, so i got 2 of the fender boxed thatmount under the bed rail and they take up little space and hold all my tools and misc items that i like to have with me even if i dont have my trailer, o and they lock however they are spendy

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
8ft bed in my f150 with a Kobalt box it came with the truck but its been good to me. I have a Husky in my Silverado again it came with the truck it is also good. I like the one that opens as one instead of the side openings.

petroskie
04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Mine open from the top, no sliders

Jelinek61
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Better Built makes a pretty good box, I've had the quantum series cross body box sense 2001 and its still looks like new. I do like the weatherguard brand a lot though but kinda pricy. I got tow straps, hand tools, ratcheting straps, bungie cords, gloves, rags, small shovel, rain poncho, jumper cables, and some other misc. things in mine.

Milwaukee
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I am plan use my 95 F250 look like this one.

I have 2 free tool boxes they aren't cheap it came from Belle Tires.

Ladder rack is $500 new:cry: But after stare at ladder rack I believe I could build with steel pipes for under $80.

This was taken on I-94 it was tough to get picture of that. Driver was cruise 94 mph.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3/makitabosch/01%20F250%20superduty/DSCN9963.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3/makitabosch/01%20F250%20superduty/DSCN9966.jpg

Z-master man
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Anybody have "under rail" boxes? Like the type that sits in the bed but you can have like a toneo cover over it?

petroskie
04-14-2010, 12:41 AM
ya they just mount to the bed and they sit low, what more do you need to know

Milwaukee
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM

I have see that one in my neighborhood.

Tonne cover won't able cover. It stick about 2-3" out bed.

Z-master man
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm wondering sense I don't want to get a new tonneu cover for a short bed with a toolbox, I'm thinking that will be my best bet then I just roll up the cover when I need it.

petroskie
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
what do you plan on hauling in the box, cause if its like tools and a strap, you could get a craftsmen top box they fit under a roll up toneo cover, but you could probly find a box with flip up lid that might fit. my dad has a roll up toneo and hes got a box, takes alot of space

Z-master man
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
what do you plan on hauling in the box, cause if its like tools and a strap, you could get a craftsmen top box they fit under a roll up toneo cover, but you could probly find a box with flip up lid that might fit. my dad has a roll up toneo and hes got a box, takes alot of space

I plan on having straps, chains, tool, possibly chainsaw, etc

petroskie
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
ok here is an example, it sits below the bed rails, small enough to fit between the wheel wells in front of the roll up toneo cover, 12 cubic foot big

unkownfl
04-15-2010, 12:42 AM
You can get the plastic boxes too storage bins looking things. I have seen them at Northern tool and walmart to put the stuff in for like 50 bucks.

petroskie
04-15-2010, 01:05 AM
thats a good option too, alot cheaper than $300, i have a bed extender and when the tailgate is up and the extender in the bed it works well for a place to put gas cans and the saw and anyother items and they dont get thrown around the bed

DoetschOutdoor
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Just got the champion delta for my new cummins...extra deep and big for the longbed and I love it. Got a chainsaw, blower, hedge trimmers, bucket full of carwash supplies, tow straps and tools in there so far and not cluttered or rigged up yet. Should come in really handy for camping/boating and next hunting season as well since full size gun cases fit in fine.