PDA

View Full Version : How to topdress/overseed 2 acres

Bluffman
04-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone got any advice on how to topdress and overseed a large area here in Minnesota? I can't "throw" a topdress over this large an area and purchasing a topdresser simply is not an option. Rental seems to be out of the question too since I can find nobody who rents them. I'm contimplating asking a local farmer if he'd be willing to use his manure spreader but I'm not crazy about that option. The lawn is in pretty good shape but I know it could use some added nutrients and some seeding to thicken it up and make it more consistent. Thanks for any advice.

RigglePLC
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
First correct the problem--why is it thin? Hot spell last year? Poor seeding job? Disease? Grubs? Shade?
Then I would suggest spend the dollars you had reserved for compost and rent a slit-seeder. Mow short as possible. Then sow your seed a half inch below the surface of the soil. Add a heavy shot of starter fert. Then water everyday for 30 days--since it is too big to water (unless irrigated) wait till late summer. Sow seed when soil is warm, and when air temp highs come down to less than 85--say about Aug 15 in Minn.

Meanwhile do a soil test--and feed it accordingly, and liberally to build thickness. A high level of slow release will give you the most benefit, since it feeds the grass a small dose every day. Since I am assuming it is rain irrigated, try to feed grass only when rain is expected or soil is moist.