PDA

View Full Version : Only walkbehinds

lawnprosteveo
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
My Toro Z is getting very old. Its about time to think about replacing it. I love all these new stander style mowers and all the Z's... There is really no limit to the number of toys you can buy.... unless, like me, you only want to pay cash.

I am considering selling my Z and just find a good used Toro 36 wb that I can pay cash for. I already run one that has been very reliable and low maintenance.

None of my yards are over 1/3 acre. And even those are broken up with lots of landscaping. It wouldnt be a big switch to run only walks.

Anyone else too tight to buy the new shiny machines and only run walkbehinds?

lawnprosteveo
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Huh...guess not.

clean_cut
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Personally I'd rather run a $3,000 walk behind and have $7,000 in my pocket than have a ztr for $10,000 and no money in my pocket, but I don't mow enough lawns to really have a use for a ztr.

topsites
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I did it for 5 years, Wb's only.
For the 8 years I've been in business I've owned 5 mowers but only bought two of them new, and one was the Z.

Robert Pruitt
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
my great dane 52 z stays on the trailer a lot more than the toro 44 walk behind.

lawnprosteveo
04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Ive done OK buying a used Z. No regrets. But it seems like good clean used walk behinds are fairly easy to find. Not to mention I can fix just about anything on a wb but not always on a Z.

I agree with Clean cut that Id rather have the money. When you buy a $10,000 machine, you gotta mow alot of grass to just break even.

lukemelo216
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
do you currently have another wb? I would maybe try to get like a 48 or something if you have the access with gates and stuff, or a 36 and a 48, you can probably get both of those for the price a a ZTR and on the more open yards just get them done quicker.

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't know. When I moved to NC from MD 4 years ago I swore to myself that I wasn't going to cut anything larger than 1/4 acre. I did some bigger properties in MD by myself and I'm not getting any younger. But here I am 4 years later and better than 1/2 of my properties are 1/2 acre and larger. It just works out in this area, like in MD, that the majority of people that want their grass cut are on larger lots. I just wouldn't be happy without a 60" deck. You can get them in a walk behind but I have a bad hip and just can't stand that long.

lawnprosteveo
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know. When I moved to NC from MD 4 years ago I swore to myself that I wasn't going to cut anything larger than 1/4 acre. I did some bigger properties in MD by myself and I'm not getting any younger. But here I am 4 years later and better than 1/2 of my properties are 1/2 acre and larger. It just works out in this area, like in MD, that the majority of people that want their grass cut are on larger lots. I just wouldn't be happy without a 60" deck. You can get them in a walk behind but I have a bad hip and just can't stand that long.That does make sense with those size yards to cut. All of mine being very small and just a few medium size...I just cant justify it. My old Z is only a 44" deck and is plenty for my small city lots.