PDA

View Full Version : Help.....Gravely transaxle

Father&Daughter Lawn care
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Well we started this year off with a bang. Things were going great and today we hit a brick wall. The right rear tire of my gravely snapped off. I was able to get the unit loaded onto the trailer with the help of some friends. Got it back to the garage and unloaded it. Went to the computer to pull up a part number and guess what. I cant replace just the broken axle I have to replace the entire trans axle.

Has anyone here taken apart a gravely transaxle if so would it be possible to fabricate and replace just the broken axle? I really can't afford a new trans axle at this time. Please feel free to toss out any suggestions.
Thanks.
Nick

Mowingman
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I used to be a Gravely dealer. Tell me what model of ZTR you have. It sounds like one of the homeowner machines. I might be able to shed some light on the topic.

04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
It is the home owner 1540 model. It is the perfect sizze for the type of yards I do.

mowerknower
04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Contact your Gravely Dealer, you can get a replacement axle for that tranny. It will be a hydro gear part number but it is available throught Ariens. I have done serveral over the last couple years. Its really not to hard.

Mowingman
04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Those transaxles are prone to breaking and we replaced a bunch of them under warranty. When under warranty, Ariens had us replace the whole unit, not just the axle. so, I have never been inside one to look at what is involved.
you really are living on borrowed time when using that unit for commercial lawn care. It was not designed for that at all. You might want to consider watching craigslist for a good, used, 32"-36" commercial duty ZTR. I see good used ones in that size quite often, on Craigslist here.

mowerknower
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Am I correct in assuming this is the model with the orange plastic body on it?

Probably not, Im guessing its a zt1540, black frame, black deck, gravely red engine cover. I dont think any of the EZRs (assuming thats what you are thinking about) would have made it anywhere near this long for commercial use. Those things were the biggest pos.

Mowingman
04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
POS is correct. Ha ha, you must have some experience with those things.
The newer ZT homeowner machines are not bad at all. However, we did have several transaxle shafts break on them, also.

Probably not, Im guessing its a zt1540, black frame, black deck, gravely red engine cover. I dont think any of the EZRs (assuming thats what you are thinking about) would have made it anywhere near this long for commercial use. Those things were the biggest pos.

T.M. LAWNS
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
POS is correct. Ha ha, you must have some experience with those things.
The newer ZT homeowner machines are not bad at all. However, we did have several transaxle shafts break on them, also.

Was it the ZT2800 transaxles that were breaking axleshafts?

Mowingman
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
do, I don't believe so. It has been several years and i do not remember the model of that transaxle. however, I am almost positive it was not the ZT2800.
It was a very light duty transaxle.

04-01-2010, 11:41 PM

You are correct. So far it has done it's job. I use it because it is paid for and it's what I had to start with. Does anyone know what the part number for the axle is?

Thanks for the feedback.

04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Contact your Gravely Dealer, you can get a replacement axle for that tranny. It will be a hydro gear part number but it is available throught Ariens. I have done serveral over the last couple years. Its really not to hard.

Any idea what the part number is? I can only locate the transaxle number.

04-01-2010, 11:43 PM
The transaxle number is 00386200 if that helps

mowerknower
04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
I will get it for you when Im back at the shop tommorow.

04-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks so much

04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know the part number for just the axle itself? I can not find it anywhere.

04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I was able to speak with the hydro gear distributor today and verified the part number for the axle. Hope to get it ordered sometime later tonight.
See ya.

Jesusdied4U
04-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I was able to speak with the hydro gear distributor today and verified the part number for the axle. Hope to get it ordered sometime later tonight.
See ya.

can you share? I just busted my left axle on my Ariens 1540. I have it dis-assembled and ready for an axle. just cannot find the part. help please where can i order it, and part number.

04-26-2010, 09:47 AM
The part number is 62681. First go to this site and verify the model number and schematic. http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-

Then contact hydro gear for a local distributor. http://www.hydro-gear.com The odds are that it is your local dealers repair shop.