PDA

View Full Version : How do you convince/tell the wife you need a new mower?

Dpatt07
04-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok, so I just bought a new mower and I know I had to do a lot of bargaining with my wife to get it. I was just wondering what you guys or gals tell your significant other about why you need a new mower. This situation might be more suited to solo operator or part-timers. I know some of you full time guys replace equipment every couple of years. The mower I sold was 3 years old and only had 240 hours on it. Just curious to see what kind of response you come up with.

JB1
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
i just go and buy it, she doesn't say a word, she knows I don't just buy stuff for the hell of it.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
She doesn't care because she sees the cash coming in.

pblc
04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
wow..... only 240 hrs - I hope you were upgrading....

Southern Pride
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
The pants. Wear them.

Mike Blevins
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
As long as my wife knows the camper will be pulling out ever other weekend this year she could care less what I buy. I dropped a few accounts to spend some time living instead of working this year. I have found that no matter how much money you make its never enough. Tell your wife its just something you need.

LandscapeSavannah
04-01-2010, 11:39 PM
She has no idea what gets purchased. I like to keep work at work. When I am home that's what it is all about.

rain man
04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
I just say "Me like'em. You cook'em supper". lol.

Premier landscaping south
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I just say "Me like'em. You cook'em supper". lol.

:confused::dizzy:

360ci
04-02-2010, 12:16 AM
i just go and buy it, she doesn't say a word, she knows I don't just buy stuff for the hell of it.

Exactly! However, my wife knows I buy stuff for the hell of it, and she does the same. To each their own. It's not worth the argument, and if I ever feel a whip on my backside, she knows where the door is.

CLARK LAWN
04-02-2010, 12:58 AM
go into your bedroom open the nightstand and take your ^&%$## out. is it your business or hers? when she is out there workin all day then she gets a say in what i buy for work. And yes i did tell mine those very words.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-02-2010, 01:01 AM

Same way here. H*ll, mine cares so little about my biz (or me for that matter) that she does not even know what/when/ how many mowers I have, bought or sold. I don't ask her, just get whatever I need, mower, car, truck or mistress:)

Alan0354
04-02-2010, 04:13 AM
I am looking for excuse too. I burn through all the available excuses already.

Being a home owner, I have 3 trimmers, 2 blowers, 2 tillers, 2 hedge trimmers and a mower!!! I would like to have another excuse why I need more!!!

Women just don't understand these are man's toy!!! I still want a FS250, a maruyama hedge trimmer, a commercial 21"wb and a pressure washer would be nice!!!:laugh::laugh:

Back to the original post, if you are in business, why do you even have to ask your wife? I don't have this excuse, but you guys do!!!!

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I talk with my wife before any major purchase. It's kinda like going before the board of directors. She has never said that she didn't like a purchase I was making but... I've never asked about replacing a $10,000 mower with only 240 hours on it either.

I speak with my wife first because I don't want her going out and spending $10,000 before speaking to me first. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
04-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote - "I speak with my wife first because I don't want her going out and spending $10,000 before speaking to me first. What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

That's good advice. Try to keep your business account totally separate from your personal accounts. As long as you keep giving yourself a good "paycheck" that she can see contributing to all of the personal expenses, then she should never have a problem with business decisions you make. Oh ya, and make sure it's money from the business you are using to buy this stuff, not some from both of your savings or something - Then she has a bigger say...u know?? Good luck, brother.

cutbetterthanyou
04-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Wow!!!!!!!

punt66
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
hahaha man. Some of you are whipped. One day my wife came home from worked and walked into a road king in the garage. She walked into the house shaking her head and smiling. Another day there was a bass boat in the driveway. Although i told her about that one on the phone while i was towing it home hahaha. As long as the bills are being paid and goals met then i dont see the issue. You have to live. As far as a mower, 240hrs is just broken in. Unless you were upgrading for productivity then i dont see the point.

AI Inc
04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
. As long as the bills are being paid and goals met then i dont see the issue. You have to live. .

Well said Mr Punt.

nepatsfan
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
I honestly don't even really bring it up to my wife, and if I do its just sort of something brought up over dinner or something. I bought a new mower today, or geez the power equipment place is out of their mind if they think I am spending X on this mower. Its not up for discussion when I need a piece of equipment for my business and she doesn't ask too many questions other than to try to sound interested and I don't ask for an opinion. If your business is making money, and the business is paying for the equipment unless your wife runs the business with you shouldn't even come up. My wife has no idea what I have for equipment, nor does she care. She also doesn't work, so its tough for her to tell me what to spend money on.

Landscraper1
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Never been an issue. Business has nothing to do with personal.

Littleriver1
04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
You'm give'm me'm fire. I 'm give'm you'm rock.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Going before the board of directors isn't a bad thing. I also like to get a second opinion sometimes too. I just don't come to Lawnsite looking for that second opinion. Lord knows if I did that I'd buy a new mower every two years and be up to my eyeballs in truck payments I don't need. :)

hackitdown
04-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I just keep buying red mowers. She can't tell the difference unless they are a different color.

360ci
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I just keep buying red mowers. She can't tell the difference unless they are a different color.

I'd just tell her I painted it for a colour change, kinda like what mine did to a few rooms in the house the one day. Come home, one wall is purple, another two are different colours yet and one entire room is a light green. I don't really care about the paint, it's the fact that she's too lazy to do it herself and she phoned a company to do it for $350. I know she's fast, but she's not that fast.

djagusch
04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I mention to the wife about purchases but she has no clue what I'm talking about. She doesn't care as long as it's paid with cash. I think all she notices is the mowers are orange or yellow.

Cboy7
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I spent 22k to remodel the kitchen , so I can use that for years to come as an excuse to buy anything!
only kidding of course. sorta

brucec32
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Never forget, a wife may be a mother, but she isn't YOUR mother.

brucec32
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM

LOL, so true.

LwnmwrMan22
04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I just sold a Ferris walkbehind with about 400 hours on it for a Toro Grandstand.

I'm cutting out 1 full time laborer this year, so I sold it to the wife as a machine that's more productive (don't walk, so faster standing) and not as fatiguing.

She goes along with purchases as long as I think I need them.

It took about 4 years of marriage for her to realize you have to spend money to make money.

You can't save EVERY single nickel and dime in business for yourself, it's all about keeping a roof over your head and clothes on the kids. Not to mention the PS3, the Wii, the new vehicle for her to drive, the new ...... blah blah blah.

bln
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I learned from my dad. Just buy it and then let her know. I am engaged and bouth a F350 diesiel and she gave me crap. She even called my mom and the 2 of them went out together to discuss my communication skills. So on that Monday I called her and let her know that I was buying gas and was getting her pemission. I think she took the hint that it isn't going to be any different from here on out. Just set the bar right away and let the hen know who the rooster is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cboy7
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Thats not good and not cool, dude. please!
if you get married at least talk about vehicle purchases!

make her part of your life. a little work now will pay off later. A wife is way more important than a business.
Trust me when she divorces you for that crappy communication , she will get half , if not all of your business anyway!

theheisk
04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Easier to get forgiveness than permission. Works for me........so far! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

LwnmwrMan22
04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Thats not good and not cool, dude. please!
if you get married at least talk about vehicle purchases!

make her part of your life. a little work now will pay off later. A wife is way more important than a business.
Trust me when she divorces you for that crappy communication , she will get half , if not all of your business anyway!

I'd bet you're not married.

bln
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
What's not cool. We bought a house together, she picked it out and I paid for it, we compromise. She wanted to go to the zoo and I wanted to go on the boat so we compromised and went to the zoo. She dosen't understand business. She dosen't see the big picture. She only sees money going out but not coming in. I bought the truck for plowing, last 2 years I didn't have a plow truck and it cost me dearly. She understands the purchase now. Cboy7, I hope you are not married because if you are let me know who took the gold in figure skating and I will give you football updates. Set the bar early and once again show the hrn who the rooster is, I wear the pants, she gets that business decisions are in my court and she doesn't have a say as long as the house and utilities are paid. Other then living expenses business money and decisions are none of her concern if she doesn't understand that she can leave. Everything is in my dads name so she will get half of 10 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grits
04-03-2010, 02:31 AM
I don't consult her when I make equipment purchases. It is my job to make those decisions for the company.

pathfinder1810
04-03-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm going on 55 years and me and the missus have been married right at 34 years. Not a bible thumper by any means, but somewhere "The Good Book" says something like (and my grandfather often quoted something similar), "You must train a tree while it is young and growing". (Don't wait until they get old and gnarly.) Also, it doesn't hurt that I can "sell ice cream to an Eskimo".:) Besides, my better half enjoys mowing and it might as well be with a fine piece of equipment. I treat her right and respect her also, but a man is supposed to have some balls. :drinkup: I let her pick my recent mower out (after I had narrowed it down to the ones I wanted).:rolleyes:

Alan0354
04-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Never forget, a wife may be a mother, but she isn't YOUR mother.

That is not a good thing for your marriage. It is partnership. What if she go out and buy a diamond ring?!!

In my case, she is the bank of the family ( of two!!!). Can't get away that easy. She like gardening too. She hate get loose leafs out between the scrubs. I am working on a Shred and Vac ( aka hand held blower) that how much work she can save having one of those. Of cause I am not going to tell her my Shindy hand held can do that too!!!!

nepatsfan
04-03-2010, 04:25 AM
That is not a good thing for your marriage. It is partnership. What if she go out and buy a diamond ring?!!

In my case, she is the bank of the family ( of two!!!). Can't get away that easy. She like gardening too. She hate get loose leafs out between the scrubs. I am working on a Shred and Vac ( aka hand held blower) that how much work she can save having one of those. Of cause I am not going to tell her my Shindy hand held can do that too!!!!

a diamond ring isn't making you money unless you own a jewlery store. Totally different. My business buys stuff for the business. It makes me money and I buy what I need when I need it. No questions period. I never even gave it a second thought until I saw the post on here.

brianslawncare
04-03-2010, 09:09 AM
reach in the back, far in the back of youre sock drawer and grab youre balls and put them back on! who is the man of the house? if you need it to grow youre business and can afford it just get it!!

LawnGuy73
04-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Never been an issue. Business has nothing to do with personal.

Right on! If you are running a legit business (paying taxes and have insurance) you should know this, this is rule number 1. :rolleyes:

I don't pay my mortgage with the business account, and I don't pay for a new mower with my personal/joint checking account. :hammerhead:

LwnmwrMan22
04-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Epic - you guys finding you can get work done?? I was thinking about starting today on a couple of properties.

LawnGuy73
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Epic - you guys finding you can get work done?? I was thinking about starting today on a couple of properties.

We started on Wednesday, took yesterday off due to the rain and wind. I'm going to go out today and do some rough cutting of a couple of fields, but yeah its perfect for clean ups and dethatches.

Cboy7
04-03-2010, 11:07 AM
What's not cool. We bought a house together, she picked it out and I paid for it, we compromise. She wanted to go to the zoo and I wanted to go on the boat so we compromised and went to the zoo. She dosen't understand business. She dosen't see the big picture. She only sees money going out but not coming in. I bought the truck for plowing, last 2 years I didn't have a plow truck and it cost me dearly. She understands the purchase now. Cboy7, I hope you are not married because if you are let me know who took the gold in figure skating and I will give you football updates. Set the bar early and once again show the hrn who the rooster is, I wear the pants, she gets that business decisions are in my court and she doesn't have a say as long as the house and utilities are paid. Other then living expenses business money and decisions are none of her concern if she doesn't understand that she can leave. Everything is in my dads name so she will get half of 10 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are too immature to get married. I am married 9 yrs and trust me, like I said before , If you think you can be disrespectful (buying a vehicle without even conferring with her is disrespectful) and do things the way you want , Be prepared to have it taken away in a divorce.and saying its in your dads name tells me you are not going into the marriage to stay married. you are PLANNING on divorce and heartache

also. If you feel you have to "show her whos boss" and "show her who the rooster is"then you are not the leader in the home already.you shouldnt have to feel the need to 'prove ' your manhood.

a bunch of you guys sound like backwards uneducated cavemen in the way you treat your wives. Just telling you how you come across.

Please consider investing as much time into your relationships as you do your business.
unless you think your marriage is just a business transaction , where she gives you caveman sex in exchange for meals.

please dont get married lawnmwer man. just go change the oil on your $1000 mower and call it a day

Cboy7
04-03-2010, 11:10 AM
and I will add this as well.

If you have her respect by "being a man" yes a real man that is kind and considerate, then you will be able to ask her and explain a business purchase and she will trust you enough to say absolutely! you are so smart I love you and trust you to make the right descision! but at least you include her in your whole life!

bln
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow, Cboy7. Was your wife standing over your shoulder telling you what to type or did she do the typing while you were knitting a sweater. I'm not an a$$ to her at all she just understands that this is how my business decisions are going to be from here on out. My parents were married for 30 years and are going through a divorce right now. They didn't plan on getting a divorce when they got married but, my dad who is a highly successful financial planner wishes he planned better for such an event. You don't buy insurance because you plan on an accident do you? So lashing out at me because her and I have an understanding before we are married makes me immature then what is mature. You don't get married with the hopes of things changing such as disagreements over business purchases. I just said this is how its going to be and if you don't like i'm sorry. P.s. My parents didn't get a divorce over the Corvette he showed up in, that happened 10 years ago.

nepatsfan
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
You are too immature to get married. I am married 9 yrs and trust me, like I said before , If you think you can be disrespectful (buying a vehicle without even conferring with her is disrespectful) and do things the way you want , Be prepared to have it taken away in a divorce.and saying its in your dads name tells me you are not going into the marriage to stay married. you are PLANNING on divorce and heartache

also. If you feel you have to "show her whos boss" and "show her who the rooster is"then you are not the leader in the home already.you shouldnt have to feel the need to 'prove ' your manhood.

a bunch of you guys sound like backwards uneducated cavemen in the way you treat your wives. Just telling you how you come across.

Please consider investing as much time into your relationships as you do your business.
unless you think your marriage is just a business transaction , where she gives you caveman sex in exchange for meals.

please dont get married lawnmwer man. just go change the oil on your $1000 mower and call it a day

That being said. I don't include my wife in business decisions. It doesn't concern her. I don't try to hide it from her either. I buy what I need to and there is no need for me to ask her opinion. Do you value your wifes opinion on what ztr or walk behind to buy. Should I get the skid steer with tires or tracks honey?

Cboy7
04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
That being said. I don't include my wife in business decisions. It doesn't concern her. I don't try to hide it from her either. I buy what I need to and there is no need for me to ask her opinion. Do you value your wifes opinion on what ztr or walk behind to buy. Should I get the skid steer with tires or tracks honey?

no , but I let her know why I need it, and explain things to her.I dont try and just slide something past her by buying it and "asking for forgiveness rather than permission"

and BLN I am truly sorry to hear your parents are going through a divorce.
But yes it CAn stem from the corvette he showed up in 10 yrs ago. the things you do to disrespect your wife will only add up over the years. wives dont forget.neither do they forget the good things they do.

So BLN, learn from your dads mistakes and dont take such a macho attitude.
That attitude is " I am always right and screw you if you think otherwise."
its hard enough to read it on here let alone live with a person like that.

and no I didnt sugarcoat it to you because I am hoping you will realize that maybe you should think differently about marriage.

Your idea of preventing divorce is estate planning? cmon.

Richard Martin
04-03-2010, 03:31 PM

I do value my wife's opinion. She doesn't really have a clue as to what I'm talking about most of the time but it can help me never the less. We've been married 31 years and it's been a true partnership in life that's worked very well. Discussions about money are rare and few between. She gets whatever she asks for (within reason) and I end up getting what I want.

For example....

I am thinking about buying a commercial aerator to replace the harry homeowner model I've been using. The purchase is not in question. The debate comes in as to where to buy it. I can get one from Alamia for $1195 shipped. My local Stihl/Hustler dealer also sells them. His price is $1275 plus 8% sales tax for a total of $1377 out the door. My head tells me to buy it from Alamia because it's almost $200 cheaper but my heart (and my loyalty, however misplaced) tells me to buy locally from the guy that has proven that he will take care of me if I need it. I can easily speak to my wife about this and get her opinion. She doesn't even need to know what an aerator is to get a valid opinion on this subject.

JB1
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
you guys are all wimps when it comes to women, I tell mine how it is, I do what I want when I want, I oh crap i gotta go she just got hone and i don't have my house cleaning done yet.

Cboy7
04-03-2010, 05:26 PM
funnyman! at least your wife will like your sense of humor if nothing else!

nepatsfan
04-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I do value my wife's opinion. She doesn't really have a clue as to what I'm talking about most of the time but it can help me never the less. We've been married 31 years and it's been a true partnership in life that's worked very well. Discussions about money are rare and few between. She gets whatever she asks for (within reason) and I end up getting what I want.

For example....

I am thinking about buying a commercial aerator to replace the harry homeowner model I've been using. The purchase is not in question. The debate comes in as to where to buy it. I can get one from Alamia for $1195 shipped. My local Stihl/Hustler dealer also sells them. His price is $1275 plus 8% sales tax for a total of $1377 out the door. My head tells me to buy it from Alamia because it's almost $200 cheaper but my heart (and my loyalty, however misplaced) tells me to buy locally from the guy that has proven that he will take care of me if I need it. I can easily speak to my wife about this and get her opinion. She doesn't even need to know what an aerator is to get a valid opinion on this subject.

I value my wifes opinion picking a tile floor or shades or paint color. Not landscaping equipment

terrypiper
04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
you just have to marry the right one! since january first of this year my wife has convinced me to buy a 2010 truck, new snow plow, very low hour compact tractor and a new landscape trailer. guess i did good.

LwnmwrMan22
04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I value my wifes opinion picking a tile floor or shades or paint color. Not landscaping equipment

Correct. She knows what she wants in the house and what she wants to drive to work as a part time RN and stay home with the boys.

I know what I want to use to run the business.

She knows I'm going to buy what I need to run the business, and I'm going to buy what she wants to run the house.

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
when i decided to start the business i started with what i had once i had enough yards to justify buying a newer mower i said hey baby i'm taking X ammount of money to buy a new mower before this one takes a **** on me. that day i had my new mower and now i have a pretty decent back up. lol however when she went and got a new couch i kept my mouth shut ;)

cush
04-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Just tell her you spent 15k on mower parts to keep the old ones running!

HUSTLERGUY10
04-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Picked up a new account that will more than pay for the new mower I bought. Told my wife that and she said fine. Now if I could only get her to let me replace my 34 yr old Harley Davidson life would be real good.:)

creativedan
04-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission! lol

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 01:19 AM
I see this alot, "How to get my wife to let me...How does your wife respond when...." I am so glad when I started my business, I sat down with my wife and said this, "I will run this business my way, and how I think it should be ran, you are just a SILENT PARTNER". Years later, she has no idea what I do all day, she doesnt ask, and I honestly think she does'nt care. I do not talk about business, I dont tell her about customers, I dont talk about any new accounts that I have or accounts that have been lost. The only thing she ever ask's me is, "Do you have my check?" She knows where I keep the cash and she doesnt have to ask. I can sit at my desk, stressed out and she will never ask "whats wrong", and I prefer it that way. Now I know that others have wives that do the books and run the "office", so just be ready when she says "NO". I am so glad I dont have to ask for permission to buy a needed piece of equipment. My thoughts, keep business outside, marrige inside. JMHO

Cboy7
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I see this alot, "How to get my wife to let me...How does your wife respond when...." I am so glad when I started my business, I sat down with my wife and said this, "I will run this business my way, and how I think it should be ran, you are just a SILENT PARTNER". Years later, she has no idea what I do all day, she doesnt ask, and I honestly think she does'nt care. I do not talk about business, I dont tell her about customers, I dont talk about any new accounts that I have or accounts that have been lost. The only thing she ever ask's me is, "Do you have my check?" She knows where I keep the cash and she doesnt have to ask. I can sit at my desk, stressed out and she will never ask "whats wrong", and I prefer it that way. Now I know that others have wives that do the books and run the "office", so just be ready when she says "NO". I am so glad I dont have to ask for permission to buy a needed piece of equipment. My thoughts, keep business outside, marrige inside. JMHO

You dont have a marriage. You have a SILENT PARNERSHIP where you provide money in exchange for meals and sex. lots of people do that. in vegas.
So business is all there is to life?work and then expire. sounds like a good recipe to die , an unhappy, selfish and lonely man. JMHO ;-)

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 02:28 PM
You dont have a marriage. You have a SILENT PARNERSHIP where you provide money in exchange for meals and sex. lots of people do that. in vegas.
So business is all there is to life?work and then expire. sounds like a good recipe to die , an unhappy, selfish and lonely man. JMHO ;-)

Yup you got me pegged. When is your book coming out?:hammerhead:

Landscraper1
04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
My fiance came to work for me 2 years before we got married. 20 yrs later she still runs the office full time. She is a great asset to me in life and business. We talk only about business at work, never at home. At work she knows I am the boss. At home she is(lol). I have never asked her for permission or advice on any purchase I make. I have even made real estate deals without asking her. But, when it came time to build our(her) dream house, I let her pick the plans(within reason).
We have a 50/50 partnership. But, when it comes to business or finances, she knows not to get involved(so far)

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Well said!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cboy7
04-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Yup you got me pegged. When is your book coming out?:hammerhead:

I HAVE read alot of book on various subjects. and use my own experience as well. that does not make me an expert but reading books will not hurt you.wasnt trying to be smart alec, just to show you how you actually are coming across. "I sat my wife down and told her she is a SILENT PARTNER" oohhh , man you have the pants on.wow. really guys? you feel so challenged that you have to act out like that with your insecurities?

which begs the question. do guys like azlawn, read books?
I mean honestly you come across as naive cavemen. makes me think lawn men are dumb as bricks in general.
except for rick martin and a few other gentleman, you guys are a bunch of hickish rednecks that I am embarrassed to be even remotely associated with.
educate yourselves and respect your wives.
what goes around comes around and sooner or later, not IF but WHEN , she will divorce you and rip your life apart.
so may as well learn to be nice and be friends.

I bet there is alot of guys on here that will tell you what a hell that is to go through.I didn't have to yet, but not because I have always been the nicest guy to get along with . but slowly this caveman is learning

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Buisness slow? Seems like you've got alot of time on your hands! Now you must excuse me, Im gonna bang my wife over the head and drag her inside.

Cboy7
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Buisness slow? Seems like you've got alot of time on your hands! Now you must excuse me, Im gonna bang my wife over the head and drag her inside.

read a few books and you will find out that you dont always have to be out working to make money.
put things in motion to make money without full manual labor.
cheers to you my friend. no hard feelings

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 09:51 PM
read a few books and you will find out that you dont always have to be out working to make money.
put things in motion to make money without full manual labor.
cheers to you my friend. no hard feelings

I am not sure why you feel you have to make business decisions with your wife. Do you ask her who to use for a mulch supplier? Do call her and ask her if you should scrape out a little more material before you put in your base for a patio? I do not hide business decisions from my wife but I also don't even bring them up most of the time. She is not involved in my business and does not care to be. I owned the business before we were married and she has never really had much to do with it. If I need a machine, I price it out and buy it. I don't ask for an opinion on something that she knows nothing about. I don't understand why that is being a caveman. I get a paycheck every week from the business that goes into our personal account and covers all our household bills. In fact she wouldn't have a clue what is in the business account. Again....if she asked I would tell her. I am not trying to hide anything. When I come home from work...I don't really talk to much about work(unless I'm on here LOL). To make a long story short....I definitely never ask for permission. If that makes me a caveman than hand me a turkey leg.

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
No hard feelings here, as of Friday sales are up 44% from this time in 2009, I have hired 3 more employees. Me & my wife of 10 years just had a great easter sunday with our two kids. Oh, and I did do some reading. I read about some guy who thinks after reading some post's of the way other people and their wives relationships are on some web-site, he now thinks he has the world figured out. I have a feeling its gonna be a boring story though. But please do yourself a favor, knock on some doors and try to make more money, I have a feeling your problems on this subject run deeper than what you are saying. I wish you have a better 2010 as compared to the rest of your life. Good luck.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
No hard feelings here, as of Friday sales are up 44% from this time in 2009, I have hired 3 more employees. Me & my wife of 10 years just had a great easter sunday with our two kids. Oh, and I did do some reading. I read about some guy who thinks after reading some post's of the way other people and their wives relationships are on some web-site, he now thinks he has the world figured out. I have a feeling its gonna be a boring story though. But please do yourself a favor, knock on some doors and try to make more money, I have a feeling your problems on this subject run deeper than what you are saying. I wish you have a better 2010 as compared to the rest of your life. Good luck.

Off topic a little sorry....Is there any grass in arizona? Do you do guys do any maintenance or only hardscaping type stuff.. I am dead serious. forgive me for being an ignorant cave man. In my head I see the dessert in arizona and some shows I see on tv they use like red rock for their yards in arizona.

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I am not sure why you feel you have to make business decisions with your wife. Do you ask her who to use for a mulch supplier? Do call her and ask her if you should scrape out a little more material before you put in your base for a patio? I do not hide business decisions from my wife but I also don't even bring them up most of the time. She is not involved in my business and does not care to be. I owned the business before we were married and she has never really had much to do with it. If I need a machine, I price it out and buy it. I don't ask for an opinion on something that she knows nothing about. I don't understand why that is being a caveman. I get a paycheck every week from the business that goes into our personal account and covers all our household bills. In fact she wouldn't have a clue what is in the business account. Again....if she asked I would tell her. I am not trying to hide anything. When I come home from work...I don't really talk to much about work(unless I'm on here LOL). To make a long story short....I definitely never ask for permission. If that makes me a caveman than hand me a turkey leg.

My point exactly! Its funny, I was on the road thursday and I forgot an invoice. So I called my wife and asked her to email it to my phone through Quickbooks. She saw the general ledger for my business accounts, and asked, "If you have that much money in your bank account, how much of that in your savings is mine!" Point is, she sent me the invoice and I continued to work and our conversation was over on that subject. My wife makes well over $100k a year as a Registered Nurse and was with me when we didnt have food in the fridge and couldnt afford to pay the electric bill when our lights were turned off and that was 8 years ago. Seems like we are doing ok. "Money is just paper, it doesnt mean anything". So please dont think you know me or anyone else on this site simpley by the way we choose to run OUR company. :cool2:

AzLawnMan
04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Off topic a little sorry....Is there any grass in arizona? Do you do guys do any maintenance or only hardscaping type stuff.. I am dead serious. forgive me for being an ignorant cave man. In my head I see the dessert in arizona and some shows I see on tv they use like red rock for their yards in arizona.

I have lots of customers from back east and they all thought the same thing! One guy told me his son asked if "He were afraid of the Cowboys and Indians" Its cool. Yes we have pleanty of grass, in fact we mow and trime year round! We can do every type of landscaping year round. Only raines a few times a year and we only get snow 200 miles north of us! :drinkup:

Cboy7
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Again....if she asked I would tell her. I am not trying to hide anything.

thats the difference though. much better than simply telling her to butt out.
everyone has different talents, wives included.

the key is not acting like "my business is none of her business."

I will explain things even if I know it makes no sense to her.
and she tells me what goes into a recipe, and really makes no difference as long as it tastes good

Grass'sGreener
04-10-2010, 02:29 AM
My girl is very supportive and she knows that everything I buy is going toward providing both of us with a good future.

nepatsfan
04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
My girl is very supportive and she knows that everything I buy is going toward providing both of us with a good future.

that is so romantic:dizzy:

cozymonkey
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
He who dies with the most toys wins.

If I buy mowers or she buys jewelry and we get over our head we'll just take the governments approach to it. Triple our debt and make everyone else pay for it.

Bottom line is the mower is for your business and unless she helps run your business she shouldn't have a say. If you aren't using business money to pay for it. Then maybe you shouldn't have bought it.

Cboy7
04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
what a sweet story. I like it!

capelawncare.com
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I bought a new mower today honey. Im hot and tired. Im getting in the shower, I want dinner on the table when i get out.:laugh:

AI Inc
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Seems this guy had a similar problem..

nepatsfan
04-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Seems this guy had a similar problem..

That is awesome! Nice post....please tell me that isnt real.

LwnmwrMan22
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I've seen ads like that before.

He probably has to sell it, but not for that exact reason.

Humor to attract you to his ad.

Alan0354
04-17-2010, 04:32 AM
I bought a new mower today honey. Im hot and tired. Im getting in the shower, I want dinner on the table when i get out.:laugh:

Next day when you come home, you might find your suitcase at the front door and you find the key won't fit the lock no more!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Cboy7
04-17-2010, 05:27 PM
heres what lwnmwrman would say " if she changed the locks, what was she doing out of the kitchen?":-)

but true.. what goes around will come around.. possibly in the form of a divorce paper

Green Grass
04-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I talk to my wife before we buy any new large equipment just because she likes to come with and see all the new equipment. As for what I buy she does not care because we pay cash for all our equipment and she knows that it will not affect our personal money.

clif
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
you guys are all wimps when it comes to women, I tell mine how it is, I do what I want when I want, I oh crap i gotta go she just got hone and i don't have my house cleaning done yet.

:clapping: good one!

upagainstit
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
The person that tends to the business affairs
would be the one that decides
what he/she needs.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank god I dont have to deal with that but if I did I would just buy it with out asking.

dgw
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
i need a mother f***** lawn mower b*****

got a problem with that

Alan0354
07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I only use 21", I have been contemplating pouring sand into the oil!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Craig3
07-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I talk with my wife before any major purchase. It's kinda like going before the board of directors. She has never said that she didn't like a purchase I was making but... I've never asked about replacing a $10,000 mower with only 240 hours on it either.

I speak with my wife first because I don't want her going out and spending $10,000 before speaking to me first. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I concur. My wife knows I'm cheap too, I don't spend money if its not for a good reason

clif
07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Just tell her you bought it on sale and you had a coupon for an additional 25% off, that's what mine tells me when she shops. :laugh:

jvanvliet
07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
When I got married, I used to think the bride wore white because it was important that the dishwasher match the stove.

I grew up a little. Buying a new mower is a big expense that needs to be discussed with your life partner. My wife knows that every piece of equipment we've ever bought has been put to work and has paid for itself & made money. I didn't want it cause it was shiny and new, I needed it because the old one had exceeded the cost/repair ratio. Trust me, I run them into the ground!

I've never had a problem getting what I needed and my wife didn't make the decision, she just wanted to be part of it.

I'm still man enough to wear the pants :cool2:

DaddyRabbit
07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
First off you buy it and bring it home and say nothing and if she brings it up your reply should be, "there's a few things you might not like about this mower but you'll get used to them". That's it. Seriously.

DaddyRabbit
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
:laugh: Excellent advice!