PDA

View Full Version : How to charge for Paver Patio

Hayes Outdoor
04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I am going to look at a job tomorrow. Over the phone the customer told me it will be 20x30 and that is all of the info. i have right now. I have installed a couple of patios before but I was working for someone else at the time. I am not sure how to charge for patios and walls. Do you charge by the sq. ft.?
I will post more info tomorrow night about the details. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Meezer
04-02-2010, 01:12 AM
NEVER charge by the sf

killerbee133
04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Meezer, I'm fairly knew, why never charge by the sqft. What your method. Any insight would help.

DJJS
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Meezer, I'm fairly knew, why never charge by the sqft. What your method. Any insight would help.

never charge by the square foot, as a contractor you arent selling square feet, your selling labor hours. Going off sq. ft theres way too many variables. Figure out your materials cost, base, sand, pavers, edging, geotextile, equipment rentals and dumping fees, then estimate how many hours it'll take to complete the job. Its easier to break it down and estimate hours each part of the process will take

Demolition/excavation
Installation/compaction of base
Screeding sand
Laying pavers
Cutting pavers
Joint sand/Edging
Cleanup

figure out how many hours it'll take times your hourly rate and add your materials cost

killerbee133
04-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Here's the deal I have a a 24 ft wal that tapers off at the end with 3 ft in height. I have access to base materials for free. A family friend owns a gravel company so with base, fill, and drainage free. I have also have ten steps to put in I reasonally know I can get this done in 2 days. This being all materials on the jobs site. If I charge by the hour I feel I will make less than by charging by the sq ft. I'm not gonna work at a slow pace to make more. The customer already has purchased the block and had it delivered. I was going to buy and mark up, so I really have no cost except for labor. What would you bid in your world. Any help would be appreciated.

Meezer
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I would charge by the job, not sf nor by the hour

mario491
04-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I second that meezer you are right on target. I figure how many days to complete the job. I know my cost per day and the abilities of my workers.

Smitty58
04-05-2010, 05:28 AM
He's not telling you to charge by the hour. He just means estimate how many man hours it will take (times how much you want to make per man hour) plus all the material, equipment etc. Add all that up and there you have it. Don't tell the customer an hourly rate just give them a flat price after you figured it. Be realistic on the hours, things have a way of taking longer than you plan. Keep track of your actual hours spent doing the job to help yourself estimate the next one. After you have done a few you'll have a better feel of how long it takes and how much all the other stuff is ,then you can figure a sf price based on all that data. As an example in my area paver patios range from $12 to $20 per sq ft and walls $20 to $30 per face sq ft.

DJJS
04-06-2010, 12:51 AM
He's not telling you to charge by the hour. He just means estimate how many man hours it will take (times how much you want to make per man hour) plus all the material, equipment etc. Add all that up and there you have it. Don't tell the customer an hourly rate just give them a flat price after you figured it. Be realistic on the hours, things have a way of taking longer than you plan. Keep track of your actual hours spent doing the job to help yourself estimate the next one. After you have done a few you'll have a better feel of how long it takes and how much all the other stuff is ,then you can figure a sf price based on all that data. As an example in my area paver patios range from $12 to $20 per sq ft and walls $20 to $30 per face sq ft.

Exactly, thanks for clearing it up for me :usflag:

OutdoorCreations
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
If something is going to take you say 3.5 days to complete charge for 4. Still charge for the base material you getting free as well.
Steps are tricky be careful.
Make sure you add in a little for the things that don't go as planned. I don't think I have been on a job yet where the entire project went EXACTLY as planned.

Juan91
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
$5 a brick installed