PDA

View Full Version : Bluebird powerrake w/ bag

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Guys,

Rented this for use on one town lawn as the homeowner insisted on a powerrake job. Lets just say, I am never renting that thing again. Heavy, heavy, heavy to push - forget pushing up an incline with a full bag. Bag fills up after about 2 passes, and this is with the blades set as high as they will go (which is still too deep and penetrated the soil in spots which I didn't want it to do). Filled a half a 5x8 trailer full of thatch after doing half of the lawn. At this point, the homeowner tells me to just hand rake the rest. GLADLY!

She loved the 'fluffing' up it did, but I hated the thing. Next season I believe I will invest in a JRCO tine rake for my Toro Z and a bagger for the rear:)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Anyone else use this infernal thing?

cgaengineer
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Well the fact that you got the bag to fill is a plus, I own the PR22 and the bag has never worked...the only thing that ever makes it to the bag is dirt. They are a bear to push up a hill, but along flat surfaces they work fine and almost propel themselves. If yours didnt even try to drive itself you didn't have the blades set deep enough. They also dont work well on hard soil...about 1-2 days after a rain is best, moist enough to keep dust down and soften the soil, but dry enough not to make a muddy mess.

Did the one you rent have the flail reel or the delta reel?

cozymonkey
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I just bought one and couldnt figure out why everyone was charging so much for power raking until I did my first house. Let just say my prices went up quite a bit. Stupid thing make me sneeze like crazy. Good money maker though.

cgaengineer
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
They do a good job, its a lot of work...but you couldn't do what it does by hand in the time it takes to use the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
i never use a bag..................power rake it, blow the large amount of the debris to the truck then go back and do a really nice detailed cleaning...if im doing spring clean ups i will skip the second blow and collect everything with the wb and the catcher

cgaengineer
04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
i never use a bag..................power rake it, blow the large amount of the debris to the truck then go back and do a really nice detailed cleaning...if im doing spring clean ups i will skip the second blow and collect everything with the wb and the catcher

Do you bag with 21" mower or a larger WB?
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Well the fact that you got the bag to fill is a plus, I own the PR22 and the bag has never worked...the only thing that ever makes it to the bag is dirt. They are a bear to push up a hill, but along flat surfaces they work fine and almost propel themselves. If yours didnt even try to drive itself you didn't have the blades set deep enough. They also dont work well on hard soil...about 1-2 days after a rain is best, moist enough to keep dust down and soften the soil, but dry enough not to make a muddy mess.

Did the one you rent have the flail reel or the delta reel?

You know, not sure, did not have spring tines I do know that. Wish it did though.

THC
04-08-2010, 05:44 AM
A power rake with a bag better be self propelled. I just power rake then use a blower, works fine.

lukemelo216
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
usually a 36" exmark with bagger but I usually only power rake on smaller yards. If the property warranted the use of my 52 ztr i would use it but havent had one yet.

smz89
04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I just started up this year and have a bluebird aerogator and a 52'' toro ztr with the ultra vac bagger. I have just been running over it with the power rake and then running over it with the mower. All customers have been satisfied thus far. Do you guys think running over the yard with just the mower isnt enough?

cgaengineer
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I just started up this year and have a bluebird aerogator and a 52'' toro ztr with the ultra vac bagger. I have just been running over it with the power rake and then running over it with the mower. All customers have been satisfied thus far. Do you guys think running over the yard with just the mower isnt enough?

I thin you will be fine, you just want to minimize the amount or debris on the lawn once rake. Since most are stems it takes a long time for them to decompose.
Posted via Mobile Device