PDA

View Full Version : zero turn trailering

crocs27
04-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Hello all. I am new to the forum and I thank everyone for their help. I am just about to purchase a com zero turn mower and wondered about trailering it. Do you have to clamp it down with something or is the emergency break all that is needed...i would assume you need some reinforcement. If so, what do you guys use? Thanks

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 08:19 AM
The best investment you can make. A pair of these and a ratchet strap to hold the front.
www.fastrap.com

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Also, DO NOT use the service brake while in transport mode. It could cause problems if the mower gets jolted around.

What mower did you get?

crocs27
04-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I got a Toro z500 60" for $7350 I think I got a pretty good deal..what do you guys think?

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
They are good mowers. The straps will work great on your mower. I've looked into other ways to secure a mower but the straps are by far the fastest way to tie down or un-hook the mower. You'll save a lot of time over using ratchet straps.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree 100% with Greg. Fastraps are fast, easy and last a long time. I've had mine for 2 years and just Wednesday adjusted the straps a little to accommodate for wear. I figure that my Fastraps should outlast the trailer.

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 08:43 AM
coming from you Richard, I'll take that as a compliment. :D thanks

hackitdown
04-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I use Prolockers to hold the mowers. But I'm not sure if they are still sold. Ratchet straps are too slow. We also use cam straps for a lot of things, much like a ratchet strap, but quicker. We even use bungees for little things.

crocs27
04-02-2010, 08:50 AM
where do they sell fastaps? Are they only online?

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I posted a link to the site in my first post.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
where do they sell fastaps? Are they only online?

Probb. Just online Or at a weingartz or Big commercial mower dealer

I heard those ratchet Tie downs that look/ act like seat belts work i will try to remember the name of them and post them

Mike Blevins
04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I personally dont secure or strap my Scag (never had any problems with it moving around). I do strap my honda push though.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I personally dont secure or strap my Scag (never had any problems with it moving around). I do strap my honda push though.

Yeah, most people don't until they have an accident and that 1200 pound mower becomes a fatality waiting to happen.

mowerbrad
04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I just use simple ratchet straps, they've worked for me for years. I've had the ratchet straps for years, so I just don't see the need to spend more money on something.

But lots of people have had good luck with the fast straps or the prolockers.

betmr
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
We drive up until the front casters lean on the front rail of the trailer, Then bind it down with a 2 1/2 inch ratcheting strap, two minutes well spent. We don't want it bouncing around over pot holes and hard braking. Safety first, All loads should be secured to trailer.:hammerhead:

Mike Blevins
04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, most people don't until they have an accident and that 1200 pound mower becomes a fatality waiting to happen.

Wow, a little testy are we? Do you put on your seatbelt EVERY time you get in your truck? Does your passengers? Have you secured everything that you have loaded into your truck ? Have you always secured everything you have hauled on your trailer? If so than kudos to you. I see why you have so many posts on here now, half of them have absolutley no meaning except to try to make yourself look better than someone else. Ease up a little bit :waving:

mitw44
04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Think of the physics. Your truck is moving down the highway at 60 mph in a straight line. That means everything in your trailer and truckbed is also moving at 60 mph in a straightline. Now say your truck goes from 60 to 0 in 1 second because you hit something. Your stuff that you failed to secure is still moving 60 mph until the initial impact. Now it is still moving at 60 mph, only its not in your trailer anymore...its flying down the highway till a nice family of 4 uses their car (and their bodies) to stop your 1000 pound mower flying through the air at 60 mph.

Unfortunately, the family is now dead, as a human body isn't going to put up much of a fight against a 1000 pound missile.

The least you could do is go to their funeral. Oh yeah, and sell all your belongings to give to the survivors when they sue you.:hammerhead:

doubleedge
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
The fastraps are definitely worth the money; it only takes me 20 seconds to strap in my mowers.

As for not strapping in your mowers, isn't that illegal?

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Wow, a little testy are we? Do you put on your seatbelt EVERY time you get in your truck? Does your passengers? Have you secured everything that you have loaded into your truck ? Have you always secured everything you have hauled on your trailer? If so than kudos to you. I see why you have so many posts on here now, half of them have absolutley no meaning except to try to make yourself look better than someone else. Ease up a little bit :waving:

No, that's not why I have so many posts. I come here to get and give advice, opinions and view points. Instead of coping an attitude, how about saying, "Huh, I never looked at it that way". I've done it, can't you? The life you may save may be your own!

It was because of Lawnsite that everything I carry is now strapped down and I use Fastraps.

And yes, the bus don't move until everybody has a belt on and the only thing not strapped down are my traffic cones.

Mike Blevins
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Think of the physics. Your truck is moving down the highway at 60 mph in a straight line. That means everything in your trailer and truckbed is also moving at 60 mph in a straightline. Now say your truck goes from 60 to 0 in 1 second because you hit something. Your stuff that you failed to secure is still moving 60 mph until the initial impact. Now it is still moving at 60 mph, only its not in your trailer anymore...its flying down the highway till a nice family of 4 uses their car (and their bodies) to stop your 1000 pound mower flying through the air at 60 mph.

Unfortunately, the family is now dead, as a human body isn't going to put up much of a fight against a 1000 pound missile.

The least you could do is go to their funeral. Oh yeah, and sell all your belongings to give to the survivors when they sue you.:hammerhead:

Your right except I havent seen a strap or pro locker yet that will keep a 1200 pound machine on a trailer at a 60 mph dead stop. You won't have to worry about getting sued because not only are the mowers and equipment going 60-0 mph in an instant, so are your internal organs and your brain.

Mike Blevins
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
No, that's not why I have so many posts. I come here to get and give advice, opinions and view points. Instead of coping an attitude, how about saying, "Huh, I never looked at it that way". I've done it, can't you? The life you may save may be your own!

It was because of Lawnsite that everything I carry is now strapped down and I use Fastraps.

And yes, the bus don't move until everybody has a belt on and the only thing not strapped down are my traffic cones.

I think you need to go back and read to see who had the attitude first. Then you might realize that you shouldn't have even commented on what I wrote. You sir were the one who had the sm@rt @55 remark about my post. My post simply stated that I didn't secure my Turf Tiger but I did secure my honda push mower. Thats it nothing less, nothing more.

Grass Shark
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
-In most states DOT requires you to have TWO straps on any piece of equipment weighing over 300lbs, they could fine you.
-If you get into an accident and that 1200lb Z goes through the back of a car and kills somebodys kids how would you feel?
-In that same accident your insurance company will deny your claim because of negligence, (if you had straps and they broke that is a totally different story) now your not just mentally screwed, you lose everything.
-If I am not driving to my next house in the same neighbor hood at 10mph I strap everything, in a accident a 25lb blower turns into a 400lb bullet that is moving at a high rate of speed.

Grass Shark
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Your right except I havent seen a strap or pro locker yet that will keep a 1200 pound machine on a trailer at a 60 mph dead stop. You won't have to worry about getting sued because not only are the mowers and equipment going 60-0 mph in an instant, so are your internal organs and your brain.

If two 2000lb working load straps, hooked to the frame rails fo the trailer do not stop the mower from flying then how does one seatbelt that has a average working load of 700lb material not rip when a sudden stop occurs with a 250lb driver hits a tree. No attitude here but I think you should look into big straps.

If they break at least you tried!

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I think you need to go back and read to see who had the attitude first. Then you might realize that you shouldn't have even commented on what I wrote. You sir were the one who had the sm@rt @55 remark about my post.

Was there some untruth to my statement? It wasn't a smart assed remark, it was a statement. You may not like it but that doesn't change the truthfulness of it.

Mike Blevins
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Was there some untruth to my statement? It wasn't a smart assed remark, it was a statement. You may not like it but that doesn't change the truthfulness of it.

My statemant was true also. So I guess were both right. :waving: