PDA

View Full Version : Another LCO on my property!!!!!!

johnnybravo8802
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
What would you do if an LCO pulled up on your property while you were working? Let me explain my background on this property. I only have one full season on this retirement community. I took it over from a company that wasn't hitting a lick at anything-I had to trim the shrubs immediately when I got the place(Probably 2500+), crepe myrtle's needed trimming, beds weren't edged, scalping everywhere, areas not trimmed around obstacles, trees not de-limbed, etc, etc. The place was a mess and the only thing they'd done all winter was a little blowing. It took a full season to get the place back to shape, including proper chems to get rid of the weeds-I worked a lot of weekends over there trimming shrubs, including Sunday's. The manager has been really happy + the residents at the results and that's good.

So, here I am directly across the street a couple of days ago putting out pinestraw and I hear this Isuzu pull up across the street at my property-about 100 ft. away. I automatically think landscaping truck and, sure enough, it's a lawn maintenance truck. It happens to be one of the biggest outfits around. So, this Mexican is just sitting in the truck with it idling and he sits and sits and sits. Meanwhile, I'm steadily unloading my straw, fuming inside, and telling myself to let it go. I keep unloading straw and he just keeps sitting and then the curiosity got the best of me. I walk across the street and the Mexican rolls down the window and I ask him If I can help him. He then tells me that his boss is in another vehicle there to pick up some plants. This didn't make any sense to me. I then asked if they were putting in a bid for maintenance and he said "Maybe"(He didn't know).

You know, I hate to be like that but I don't trust commercial customers as far as I can throw them. I trust the manager but not the owner down 2 hrs south of us. He yanked the pinestraw from me last year to have his guys drive 2 hours with some and they did a shitty job installing it. I got a price on landscaping for him last year and he never went with it-did a drawing and spent 2 weeks gathering prices. He had his guys plant 70 knock outs from 2 hours away-People don't give a rats arse about taking food out of your mouth. This guy has proven that he can't be trusted and is a penny pincher and that's literally all he's saving. I've lost jobs in the past w/o any warning-People should at least give you a warning and let you fix it. That's why I'm so paranoid. I figure that if I stumble upon something like this, I can at least feel the customer out and correct it before it's too late.

What would you guys have done? I know I was probaaably out of line about approaching the Mexican but what would you have done? This joker was literally on top of me.

piste
04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I do hope u meant he was on top of u FIGURATIVELY not literally....

Competition is at the core of business. It's always out there even if it doesn't always show up right in front of u. Walking over to talk to him isn't a big deal one way or the other..so long as u were professional and courteous and so was he. Just not sure what u can do as he has right to be there and you don't own the property.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Drop the account? At least you would have pleasure in telling the owner that you no longer are interested in serving someone that is not loyal.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
A piece of business is better than none at all. If you owned a McDonalds and someone wanted just a burger, not a entire meal, would you not serve them or want them as a customer?

cpt87gn
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
If he was white would it have made any difference? Becuase you made sure you pointed out that he was mexican.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
With extremely rare exception, commercial work always makes its way back to pricing. Loyalty is immaterial when the budget becomes the deciding factor.

topsites
04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Competition is one thing but something about stealing another man's work rubs me wrong.

THIS is why it bugs me when folks here on LS just want the answers given to them,
because it's folks like these who later FAIL to respect what went into it.
And that's what it boils down to, a total, complete lack of respect!

Don't take another man's work!
My attitude is, that little thief might end up missing something.

Around my necks I've got an outfit riding around too...
They go door to door and it might seem innocent enough except they've targeted three customers of mine
in 1-2 weeks and done did $100's worth of work I was supposed to do...

I'm mad enough right now I see this outfit one more time they'll be lucky I don't flatten their tires and that's going easy.

Anyhow, I cut the long rant part that came next, but it ain't right.

johnnybravo8802
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
If he was white would it have made any difference? Becuase you made sure you pointed out that he was mexican.
:confused::confused:I think you may need to start a new thread because nationality is not what this is about. If he had of been black, I would have said a "black man".....nuff said..

I guess what I'm asking is what you would do if another LCO was sitting on your property for any length of time. Would you just put your head down and forget it, ask them if you could help them, or ask the manager about it? I'm just trying to come up with the appropriate and professional way of approaching it-A way that I can assure I'm watching my back. I personally think anyone would be paranoid if another LCO was sitting on their property for any length of time(Big property paying big money)-He was there for about 10 mins. Just curious...Positive feedback only, please..:)

topsites
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
With extremely rare exception, commercial work always makes its way back to pricing. Loyalty is immaterial when the budget becomes the deciding factor.

That's fine, I can accept as much...

But these guys pulled up to a house of mine...
The customer TOLD them they already had someone, they said they'd do it for free, the customer said no,
but you see they don't speak English very well so they went ahead and did it.

Now I do believe that opens up a whole new enchilada.
These guys might as well be selling illegal scams door to door with them kind of tactics.

There's more to it, not a whole lot but it gets so crazy I'm not sure what, or whom to believe, but I do believe
the free part and when it comes right down to it I'll take my customer's word over anyone else's any day.

BearWise Landscapers
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm just trying to come up with the appropriate and professional way of approaching it-A way that I can assure I'm watching my back. I personally think anyone would be paranoid if another LCO was sitting on their property for any length of time(Big property paying big money)-He was there for about 10 mins. Just curious...Positive feedback only, please..:)

I don't think you were out of line in approaching them. I think it would even be fine to ask the property manager about your service and his thoughts on the job you are doing. I think you can easily feel him out to see if they are getting quotes from other companies.

That is a tough situation.

Let us know what happens with it and just keep doing a good job for them.

Yater
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Competition is one thing but something about stealing another man's work rubs me wrong.

THIS is why it bugs me when folks here on LS just want the answers given to them,

They go door to door and it might seem innocent enough except they've targeted three customers of mine

I'm mad enough right now I see this outfit one more time they'll be lucky I don't flatten their tires and that's going easy.

Slashing tires? Does the dealer do that to you when you shop around for equipment? Does the local pizza shop owner slash your tires while you're eating at another restaurant? It's BUSINESS. Anyone can run a trimmer and mower.

R & R Yard Designs
04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Ill tell you that this year price has not been a speck of dirt for us. We have one place that we do thart is 3 hours away from us and it takes all day to do. Some guy came at gave them a bid for 60 percent of what we are, now we still have this place. In fact for 3 more yrs. So price is not every thing still
Posted via Mobile Device

cpt87gn
04-02-2010, 04:40 PM
im just pulling you string

rcslawncare
04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
:confused::confused:I think you may need to start a new thread because nationality is not what this is about. If he had of been black, I would have said a "black man".....nuff said..

I guess what I'm asking is what you would do if another LCO was sitting on your property for any length of time. Would you just put your head down and forget it, ask them if you could help them, or ask the manager about it? I'm just trying to come up with the appropriate and professional way of approaching it-A way that I can assure I'm watching my back. I personally think anyone would be paranoid if another LCO was sitting on their property for any length of time(Big property paying big money)-He was there for about 10 mins. Just curious...Positive feedback only, please..:)

Id snoop for sure, nothing wrong with talking to people!!

SouthSide Cutter
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM

You know if you do a good job are not over priced you shouldnt have nothing to worry about. And heres the big question how did you get the account or any of you that have picked up accounts. Somebody mowed before you.
The only way I take a job is if they come to me or we bid on it.

Roger
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
What makes it "your property?" You used that phrase several times, but never gave us an understanding what that means to you.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you do some work on the property, but not all. The grounds manager(?) has divided up the work, giving some to you, some to somebody else, and perhaps other work to a third LCO. Is that what is at work here?

I think you are asking for an exclusive contract. Is the manager at liberty to break out the pieces to several contractors? If not, why not? Is the real question that underlies your post, "Why won't the manager give me all the work?" How does your contract read, "all the work," or just specific tasks?

johnnybravo8802
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
What makes it "your property?" You used that phrase several times, but never gave us an understanding what that means to you.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you do some work on the property, but not all. The grounds manager(?) has divided up the work, giving some to you, some to somebody else, and perhaps other work to a third LCO. Is that what is at work here?

I think you are asking for an exclusive contract. Is the manager at liberty to break out the pieces to several contractors? If not, why not? Is the real question that underlies your post, "Why won't the manager give me all the work?" How does your contract read, "all the work," or just specific tasks?
No, I'm contracted for the maintenance. The problem with what you're referring to is that he pulled a crew from 2 hours away to put down the straw and they did a piss poor job-Just threw it on top of the ground over weeds and all(I hadn't had time to completely clean up the property), didn't even straw a lot of large areas, and it looked sloppy overall. The owner of the company from down south said they did his other three properties down in Macon and they felt obligated to do the job even though they were losing money. They had to make two trips also. You see, he never saw the straw job and so he assumes they did a good job. In my contract, I had a price for the pinestraw and had my guys lined up to do the straw and he yanked the job away from me at the last minute. The other problem was that they put down the straw before I could get all the shrubs trimmed and that's not the way to do it. If I would have done the straw, I would have trimmed, edged the beds, and did a thorough job on the straw-I'm particular. What would you think if you had busted your tail on a big job, had it looking good, and then the owner had someone put out straw and do a sloppy job-reflects on your work...your name is in front of the property and these jokers high tail it back down 2 hrs away. They didn't want the job to start with and so they weren't concerned about doing a good job...it's not their job. I don't think anyone on here would like that. To me, if you have a contract on a property and you do maintenance, chems, landscaping, straw, then the owner should let you do that. He was able to get a better deal on roses but they may be able to sell them cheaper down south which isn't my problem. I can't do an install based on what they charge 2 hours away!!!!The fact is, he didn't save that much money. Anyway, that's really not what the thread is about.

Roger
04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the response. There is much in your post that does not apply (e.g. kind of work they did, kind of work you do, etc.). While I appreciate you wanting to do a good job to reflect on other tasks you do on the property, it sounds like your contract is open on some (all?) tasks. In other words, the manager can farm out any work to others, work that is listed in your contract. If this is the case, what is the value of your contract?

Who provided the contract that you signed, one the manager provided, or one you provided? If yours, who did the work to draft the contract?

rain man
04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
We haven't been around that long so don't take this as the gospel but my opinion is that the people (plural) you are doing the job for are the problem. Its difficult to be in a business deal when one side changes the rules without notice. A little ethics and communication goes a long way. However, life isn't always that easy is it?

johnnybravo8802
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the response. There is much in your post that does not apply (e.g. kind of work they did, kind of work you do, etc.). While I appreciate you wanting to do a good job to reflect on other tasks you do on the property, it sounds like your contract is open on some (all?) tasks. In other words, the manager can farm out any work to others, work that is listed in your contract. If this is the case, what is the value of your contract?

Who provided the contract that you signed, one the manager provided, or one you provided? If yours, who did the work to draft the contract?
It's actually my contract but the straw and landscaping is optional. Honestly, if we're talking about that, the contract isn't the issue. The issue is someone on my property doing poor quality work. If they had done a good job, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue. I will say that I had another contract on another big job where there were retention ponds to be maintained. They actually agreed to a price within the contract and then decided not to pay the price after the contract was signed. The maintenance man decided to come over and knock it down with his farm tractor. The best part is that he was the one who decided to hire me, pulled the ponds away, and then had to go through me as a sub contractor per policy!!!!:hammerhead:What was I suppose to say? I couldn't hardly mark it up. I couldn't throw my hands up and take a chance on losing the contract. What do you do?