PDA

View Full Version : CAST Lighting becomes a Forum Sponsor

steveparrott
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Friends,

After many years with the forum, I've finally taken the plunge and become a sponsor (you'll see our little button above and a banner to the left). This gives us the privileges that other sponsors share - mainly being able to boast about our company, promote our products, and request nasty messages to be removed.

I'll tell you now, however, that I'll keep the above to a minimum and continue to post as I have in the past. I visit this forum because I enjoy the dialog and I believe that the community we've built is of great benefit to us all. I look forward to the interactions and will contribute whatever value I may offer.

Ok, I'll put in a little plug about CAST. But not purely for promotion; it's really about the integrity of our industry. This economic downturn has hit everyone pretty hard and everyone down the line has taken a hit - manufacturers, distributors, contractors, and homeowners.

I guarantee that every manufacturer has had held high-level meetings deciding how to proceed, what and who to cut back, changes to product lines, and so on. In fact, we just heard that a very reputable manufacturer has decided to introduce a low quality line to compete with another mfg' low quality line.

We at CAST believe this is absolutely the wrong direction. It is a race to the bottom. It threatens to usher in another era (like the 1980's) where homeowners find themselves staring at broken and bent fixtures; an era where landscape lighting gets a bad name; an era where the artistry of landscape lighting remains an untold story.

Many have told CAST that if we only had a lower quality line, we would sell a lot more fixtures. We considered it briefly, but decided that while others race to the bottom, we will continue to climb to the top. Now that our new foundry is fully operational, we are focusing on new products - primarily LED's. CAST LED fixtures, like all our products, will be rugged, durable and reliable.

A personal plea - please don't join the race to the bottom, purchase fixtures of the highest quality (CAST or another mfg), learn how to sell the value, build your reputation, build your business - don't go backwards.

This brings the promotional part of the post to an end. I promise not to bend your ear in such a self-indulgent way in the future and welcome your responses.

Gr1ffin
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Steve,

Although you have been a frequent poster and most already know you, welcome. From one sponsor to another -- congratulations on becoming an official sponsor!

Sincerely,

Alan

irrig8r
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Good move Steve.

JoeyD
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Awesome work Steve!! You are correct on all fronts. No one is imune (sp?) to this economy although Unique has sustained itself and is moving in a solid direction there are lots of manufacturers struggling to stay a float and struggling to keep their identity in a time where racing to the bottom seems to be the trend!

It's about time CAST moved onto Lawnsite!

Robert McKay
04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Steve,

It's nice to have a fellow manufacturer bringing professionalism and integrity to this site. Kudos to Lawnsite and the participants for making this a viable and acceptable venue for professional contractors to exchange information.

Robert.

Pro-Scapes
04-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Steve,

What a great post. I agree this race to the bottom is something that will ultimatly hurt our industry as an artform. I am sure just like most of the other memebers on here I get several emails per week from various manufactures and most of them dive right into the low price sales bit.

Even tho I have had a love hate relationship with the CAST line I do still use several of your fixtures regularly (ie deck lights and niche lights). I think it is great you took the plunge on becoming a sponsor. I know you and I had talked about this several years ago and your reservations about it but I am glad you set these aside.

I look forward to your continued contributions here.

Happy Easter to all.

The Lighting Geek
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Steve, welcome aboard as a sponsor! You have already helped many of us to take better pictures, among other things. I believe you hit the nail on the head as far as the race to the bottom. I will continue to look forward to your insights and other contributions.

seolatlanta
04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Welcome Steve ,

Thank you for becoming a sponsor , you are definitely one of the most honest and knowledgable people on this forum , that is for sure.

Honestly I am on the fence regarding some of the Cast products and some I absolutely love. I use the tree lights and the niche lights very often , and my customers like them. I have also had great luck with your lamps , I use them 75% of the time.

More importantly Cast Lighting has always maintained a high level of marketing and all of the materials put out by you guys has always been top shelf. I look forward to hearing more from you , Steve.

Classic Lighting
04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Good job Steve. I've wondered why Cast has not been more active on this forum. Is Dave B. starting to push marketing?

Also, can you update the Facebook page. It's been idle for quite some time.

Tim R.
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Welcome aboard Steve. I have enjoyed your posts for many years and it was your expertise and willingness to share your knowledge that has really helped me to dial in my night time photography.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Tim... Nice to see you back under a new brand! Care to take a moment and tell us all about Illumiza? I would like to learn more.

thanks

indylights
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi Tim... Nice to see you back under a new brand! Care to take a moment and tell us all about Illumiza? I would like to learn more.

thanks

I looked at their website. Kind of looks like an Outdoor Lighting Perspectives (but with a terrible name) franchise idea with maybe a lesser quality fixture. Only a 10 year warranty on everything.

And to the point of the thread, Steve, welcome as a sponsor. Your insight is always appreciated.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

Tim R.
04-04-2010, 09:28 AM

thanks

Hi James,

Thanks, yes I am no longer affiliated with the Firefly name as you can see. Illumiza is a national franchise company, albeit a fairly recent one. It currently has locations in the midwest, New Jersey, North Carolina, and recently Florida, Texas and possibly Pennsylvania soon. I was approached back in Feb. about the Indy franchise location as well as working with corporate on some very exciting things on a national scale that are in the works. I just couldn't pass up the offer to take this location and get back out on my own again. Illumiza does manufacture about 50% of it's own fixtures right now and are working on the tool and dies for the balance of them. Everything we install is very high quality brass and copper( trust me Scott, we are not racing to the bottom) and we even have an impressive line of LED offerings. The ownership has been in the industry for a combined 25+ years and really knows how to market and make a lighting company work which was a main reason I came aboard. I know the name is a hard one, but there was reasoning behind that selection too. At least you'll remember we are the ones with the artsy name. There are some really exciting things happening and you will no doubt see our company popping up more around the country in coming years.

Along with the lighting division, I also picked up a Mosquito Nix (mosquito misting systems) outlet here as well. The synergies between the two companies are unmistakable and it is wide open here in my area and another revenue stream and foot in the door for many new homes.

I am excited, currently I am having one of the better sales months I have had in quite a while. Now the problem of getting everything installed in a timely manner. Looking for a good worker to help with installs.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

S&MLL
04-04-2010, 12:59 PM
So I take it Mr.Quick still has the firefly name.... How weird is it for you to work in the same area? is this the 3rd change in 2 years?

Tim R.
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
So I take it Mr.Quick still has the firefly name.... How weird is it for you to work in the same area? is this the 3rd change in 2 years?

No, this is only my second hop, and back on my own. It isn't a big deal to have them out there. They are just using their electricians to design and install the lighting and their prices are more than the market will bear long term. I give them 6 months before they fold the division away. They are doing too well with their main 3 divisions to mess around with the lighting. It will just wind up being an add on service for their electricians, which is one of the reasons it was time to move on.

On a side note, I would be curious and very interested to know if Matt Broyles has a service mark or trade mark on the name, "firefly lighting" since he is the only one I knew of that shared the same name.

NightScenes
04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
To get back to CAST, welcome Steve!! It's good to see that you guys are official sponsors of this forum now and I'm sure that we'll see some really great posts on your threads.

steveparrott
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks all for your support.

RLDesign
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Hello Steve,

Been trying to stay busy. Very excited to have CAST as an official sponsor... that way when I brag about your product I do not have to get in trouble.

Best,

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting Design