PDA

View Full Version : this is the front page of our local newspaper this morning

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.nwaonline.com/photos/2010/apr/02/55372/

cute but gosh this is dangerous

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
That is one of the most deadly things that happen to children. You're in their area. Ask them to remove the post so others are not inspired to do the same.

www.knowbeforeyoumow.org

shade tree landscaping
04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Doesn't get any safer than that!

Hawg City Lawns
04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
id love to richard but its on the front page 65,000 people are going to see that this morning i think ill make a phone call later and ask them to remove the picture from the internet though

mowerbrad
04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
All it takes is grandpa to spin around once, and there goes "little Jonny", right under the mower. And involving a much more powerful commercial mower, this situation could be much worse than accidents involving residential mowers.

Makes a cute picture, but isn't something that should be put out there.

BearWise Landscapers
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow. I hope none of you do that.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
All it takes is grandpa to spin around once, and there goes "little Jonny", right under the mower.

What usually happens is the children get backed over. I'm sure old Pop Pop there is of his full faculties and would never back over little Jonny. It's at that point that a child is lost and Pop Pop spends the rest of his not very many remaining days grieving over what he did to little Jonny. And rightfully so.

Hey, I'm sure kids would look cute wing walking too but we don't allow that.

fourbybud
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
ASSA9:hammerhead::nono:

mitw44
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Or Johnny gets in the discharge path of grampas mower and gets his eye put out with a rock! What a way to go through life remembering Grandpa.

Stupid, Stupid. Stupid.

Cboy7
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I let my 4 yr old drive it. Much safer than driving behind it!

oh and I keep mulching kit on .
oh and he only drives on my lap. and he loves wearing the mower seat belt. but I train him saftey as well.

an open side discharge?? even a twig or a rock could take his eye out!

WholeSaleSteve
04-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Hawg City thanks for posting this. I'm glad you have drawn attention to somthing really dangerous most people don't thnk about. Take care.

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I didn't know John Deere made little motorized tractors that small. :confused:

topsites
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, yes, don't forget about that special treatment I like to deal out when a child
gets hurt or killed in one of them cases, when I like to start talking about arresting
the parents for involuntary manslaughter.

Must be a hateful moment to have to hear me say that, but then I don't care because I think
the parents should have readed the Owner's Manual and the Warning labels on the mower!
Of course, it would help if in addition to reading those things, one would follow these instructions.

So hate it or not, but...
Do NOT let this happen to you!

Better ways to have fun than killing your own child in a dang lawn accident, that much I am certain of.

clean_cut
04-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I hope he knew that that kid was behind him, that could have been very bad.

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Does the little kid's tractor have blades under it too?

mowerbrad
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
My neighbor that lives behind me has his kid riding on the mower with him all the time. The blades will be spinning and all. I'm waiting for the day to come when the kid slips off his dad's lap, that won't be a good day. People really need to be more educated about this stuff.

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I let my 4 yr old drive it. Much safer than driving behind it!

oh and I keep mulching kit on .
oh and he only drives on my lap. and he loves wearing the mower seat belt. but I train him saftey as well.

an open side discharge?? even a twig or a rock could take his eye out!

You're just as bad as grandpa! You seem to have a lot of excuses why your child SHOULD be on the mower when in fact they shouldn't be anywhere near the mower, deck running or not.

I don't want ANYONE around the mower when it's running let alone my own child. Common sense will get you a long way in life.

Ted Bell
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
If I lived near Gramps I'd pay him a visit. He might not like it, but he needs to learn a lesson here.

Hawg City Lawns
04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
i see most of you guys feel the same way as i do on this subject weve all hit things with our mowers and broken glass or even hit a partner with a rock or a piece of mulch i just cant see ever harming a child with a powerful machine like we use day in and day out some things are unavoidable they are accidents but in this situation people need to use common sense greg i agree with you 100% i dont want anyone near that mower while its in use ive seen some bad things happen with mowers personally i almost had my fingers cut off by a wedged belt i was changing a drive belt on an old tractor i had every once in a while it would get hung up well one day i was sitting there trying to get the thing to move foward and it wouldnt so i put my hand on top of the pulley to give it a tap and at that second it started going and took my fingers with it lost all the skin and fingernails off my index middle and ring fingers on my right hand now if that happend to me imagine what would happen to a child if he is sitting on a persons lap with the blades running what if the child fell right on to the deck spindles not to mention the blades a mower is not safe for a young child blades running or not i started young dont get me wrong but my dad wouldnt let me mow for the longest time he told me that i had to learn to weedeat that was the first step into mowing he gave me an old worn out electric weedeater that i had to use if it hit you or something it would pretty much stop but it took concentration to use it and it kinda scared you when you were young then i eventually stepped up to a push mower and after that i learned to drive a lawn tractor then so on and so forth i find that to be a good way to introduce kids to lawn care but please do everything safely i know some of you guys dont think its any of your business if you see someone doing something like what was shown in the article but please take the time to inform them of unsafe behavior you never know you might have saved a life i was going to call the newspaper and ask them to take off the article on the internet but i thought twice and figured this could be a good learning tool for all of us

MOHUSTLER
04-03-2010, 08:53 AM
You're just as bad as grandpa! You seem to have a lot of excuses why your child SHOULD be on the mower when in fact they shouldn't be anywhere near the mower, deck running or not.

I don't want ANYONE around the mower when it's running let alone my own child. Common sense will get you a long way in life.

Yes please never let your child on your mower. All it takes is one freak thing and something bad can happen.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
04-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I called the paper this morning and talked with a woman from customer service. I explained to her the safety issues and she agreed that was a bad situation. She took my name and number and is going to have the editor call me on Monday.

James

Leaf Jockey
04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Look at the front casters. If that pic is not staged then gramps is about to point the discharge right at the kid.

Scott

soloscaperman
04-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Why does gramps have the guard up on the deck??