PDA

View Full Version : what pump type to use??

yz250fpilot
06-25-2002, 12:47 PM
I have a question that you all can possibly help me with. I have a motocross track that I am looking at trying to water. I have a good hand dug well that replenishes itself quite quickly. It is 25 feet deep and 4.5 feet in diameter. Even in the dry months, there is at least 11 feet of water available in the well....with approximately 14 feet from the ground level down to the water. I don't need anything on a timer, and I was just planning on putting in manual valves that I can turn by hand to control water output. I was possibly going to use just a manual switch for off/on functionality, but might possibly go with a pressure regulated switch. My question is....What are the pros and cons of using a submersible pump as opposed to a jet pump up on the ground? Does anyone have a suggestion on which one I should use? This watering system would probably be used twice a week to pump 1500 - 2000 gallons per operation.

Thanks for any reply!
Steve

HBFOXJr
06-25-2002, 06:53 PM
I'd pump the well at a known rate before you do this to be sure how well flow is sustained. If it can flow 15-20 gpm a good shallow well pump (single line not a 2 line jet pump) will get you 12-15 GPM if the lift isn't to great. I use Meyers HJ100s for most of my senerios like this. Sometimes I use Meyers QP series irrigation pumps if I need more volume and pressure isn't a concern. Goulds has a pump line called the Irrigator that is excellent too.

The submersible would be more hassle to install. You can use one of the small bladder tanks as an air cushion so the contacts on the pressure switch do not chatter on closing and arc burn the surface.