PDA

View Full Version : Dry stack stone garden wall help

MDLawn
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I hope someone can offer me some insight about a dry stack wall (if I am using the right term). I have attended courses for SRW installation so I understand and have built some, mostly the garden type, not retaining much of anything. I have a family member that would like to have a garden wall built from palatalized flagstone? wall stone? whatever each of you may call it. It will only be about 6"-8" high at the deepest end and then blend into the existing landscaping because of the slopes. My questions are:

Would the base be similar for a small garden wall built from SRW blocks such as Garden Accent from Allan block? Which from what I have learned is 4-6" of crusher run. I also understand Allan Block uses more of an #57 type stone on retaining walls. I assume that you would want a similar base because I do not want the stones to shift too much over time.

Again going from some of the SRW ,would it help to have some drain type stone such as #57's behind the wall so the soil doesn't push out against it? Or is this all overkill for this type of project?

As the wall starts to hit the slope I would plan on stepping up the base such as in SRW after you bury one block. Any opinions?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and any basic insight is greatly appreciated.

4Russl5
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
A 6-8" tall wall with a couple of courses won't look like a dry stone wall because it is so low. For stuff this low I always put at least 3-5" of 5/8 minus down, mostly to keep the stones dryer, but also so they don't move as much with the ground, which it will. Sounds like rally just an edging detail. Lay you stone level, break your joints, have the face of your stones either a consistent vertical batter, or slightly stepping back. You can be about 8-12" in depth for the stones, or you could insert them vertically in the ground so 1/2 of the stone was buried. You don't need drainage for something this small. Make up your mind about SRW or natural stone... mixing them is like oil & water for me. Yes, with the slope, keep it level, and step up the courses with stones going into it. Don't worry about losing a little material visually. Over time it will be beautiful. Don't use a 'ledge stone' with a bed depth of 5-8", use a wall stone 2-3" thick minimum, and 8-12" deep. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

MDLawn
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Yea it is more of a border/edging than retaining anything. Thanks for the info it is appreciated. I just want it to last and look good.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
04-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh I wasn't mixing the stone either just stating I have done some with SRW.
Posted via Mobile Device

4Russl5
04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
That should get you started. I always assume people are like me and don't want to do any maintenance. So I take a little more time, use a better foundation, a little more stone, and we get closer to less work over time.