PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Bittercress weeds?

ethany
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I have this weed on my lawn growing all over, it already has gone to flower and is getting taller by the day.

First, when do I apply herbicide and how often? In the morning or evening? do I apply when the weed is dry or water it first?

One more question, I have a herbicide concentrate in my garage and it is at least 2-3 years old,does this stuff go bad?

Thanks

txgrassguy
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
First of all, ambient temperature will indicate if the ester herbicide can be used or not.
You should have applied when they first began appearing - and if you have mown first you need to wait at least a day or so for more leaf tissue to emerge.
Since the battery went bad in my crystal ball I don't know what "herbicide concentrate" you have so to answer more I'll (and the other guys lurking around here) need the following:
Location/temperature/host turf type/name of the herbicide concentrate/equipment you plan to apply with.

RigglePLC
04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Hairy bittercress is a winter annual. Mowing is a big help. Spray in late fall--when it is hardly visible. The weed naturally disappears when temps hit about 85--but it drops seed first. Seeds sprout in fall.
Morning or evening is fine. Wet soil or dry is fine. Herbicide works better when weed is gorwing fast/
Herbicide concentrate does not ususally go bad.

ethany
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
When I mow do I have to bag it to prevent the seeds from spreading or would it ok to mulch mow.

i was thinking of spraying tomorrow morning with ortho weed be gone max then mow on monday.