PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Squirrels

FRUSTRATED IN CHARLOTTE
04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I live in a neighborhood with a ton of trees. It's actually one of the reasons we wanted this neighborhood rather than one where the builder just bull dozed every tree in sight. But with the trees comes the squirrels.

They never bothered me before but they sure are now. Just when my lawn is looking lush I now have to deal with the craters the squirrels are digging up.

I've found a number of products that claim to be effective and non-toxic but I'm wondering if any of you have had any success with them.

The products I'm looking at are:
Shake-Away; I Must Garden, Messina Wildlife Squirrel Stopper and Critter Repellent.

Has anyone tried these and did they work? If not, what has worked? What about the electronic repellents?

Any insight is great appreciated.

KarlP
04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Air rifle, pet falcon, or capture in HaveAHeart trap baited with nuts and kill/relocate at your discretion.

Kiril
04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
So how did your lawn renovation work out?

I also have a need to get rid of some ground squirrels, but from what I have heard, short of trapping and moving them to a different location, they are nearly impossible to get rid of.

fastcat
04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
just enjoy them. they cant hurt your lawn that much. i live in minthill and have lots of trees and squirrels and i enjoy watching them, my dog likes to chase them, and my daughter thinks there funny.

Mowingman
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Use a "live trap", and bait them with peanut butter spread on ritz crackers. They love that. Then, to dispose of them once you get one in a trap, do your choice of the following:
1. Hold trap under water in a big tub or tank, until squirrel is dead
2. Take trap and animal to your local city animal control office for disposal
3. Take trap and animal way out into the countryside and turn it loose.
I prefer option number 3 myself. My father-in-law, who had quite a reputation in his town for trapping squirrels, liked option number 1

unkownfl
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Whack a squirrel hit one 2 more come. It's a losing battle not worth fighting.

grassman177
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
yeah, dont worry about them, and if the little holes are bothering you too much, just put a little more seed in them to fill it back in, that is what i do. not worth fighting them as there will be more and then it becomes a crusade against nature which you wont win

georgiagrass
04-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I had a problem with squirrels eating my flowers. I trapped about a dozen of them with a Hav-a-Heart trap, using peanut butter. I just spread the peanut butter in the lid of an old peanut butter jar. I relocated the squirrels I caught several miles away, just turned them loose. Worked great.

corey4671
04-24-2010, 11:45 PM
mmmm...squirrel ka bobs

93Chevy
04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I love sautéed squirrel and onions.

I eat most of the ones I shoot...

jkearnan
04-25-2010, 12:08 AM
I am curious if these are tree squirrels or if they are ground squirrels?

In CA we have ground squirrels that literally live in the ground, dig and create HUGE underground burrows. They make a huge mess and can really destroy a lawn area, I know from experience. My dogs can be right on the tail of one of these critters, chasing it, and they will NOT go up a tree, they will only go into the ground. They are gray in color, normal squirrel size, bushy tail, etc....

I have about 2 acres and 10 years ago I lived just outside the city limit area where most growth was happening. Then suddenly the fields in front of my house and pastures behind my house were sold off for development and over 400 houses built (over a number of years). During that time my squirrel population went from "oh cute" to "OMG squirrel infestation"! At one point while sitting at our dinner table my family estimated we could see roughly 200 squirrels running around the back portion of my property. My problem? Everyone developed and I was the last source of local food for them.....I had about 1 1/2 acres of walnut trees. I was the local buffet I guess.

Experts I contacted said pretty much the squirrel population will = the food source. So you can take a few away here and there but over time they will populate back up to = the food source available.

I eventually removed my 1 1/2 acres of walnuts and put in lawn. I also used three methods to remove the population:

1) the traps mentioned above - major pain as I would have a squirrel caught in less than 30 min typically - I just had too many to use this approach. Also just a heads up, I think it's illegal to trap any wild animal and then transport it elsewhere for release. Just in case you get stopped.

2) smoke bombs - in CA you can purchase from your local county offices a smoke bomb that you place in the ground squirrel hole after lighting, back-fill behind it, then run around to all the holes showing smoke and cover them as well. Suffocate them in the den. VERY effective if you catch them home. Having moist soil helps as well.

3) Poison - I hated doing it but frankly I had a pretty serious problem. Most local farm supply stores will carry bait traps and a pelleted feed designed to kill off the squirrels. You must be VERY cautious if you have any pets that could have access to the bait feeders or to carcasses that may show up. So this option is not for everyone. But it works wonders particularly when they are hungry after having had the walnuts removed!

If you have true tree squirrels do they really do much ground damage? If this is still an issue for you maybe you could post some pictures.

cgaengineer
04-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Ever think of feeding them at a location near your property, but not on your property?

Also think about getting a dog...the squirrels in my yard spend most of their time in the trees...the dogs love to chase them.

cgaengineer
04-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Ever think of feeding them at a location near your property, but not on your property?

Also think about getting a dog...the squirrels in my yard spend most of their time in the trees...the dogs love to chase them.

ProMo
04-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Squirrel Chaser Tonic
To 1 gallon of water add:

3 Tbs chili powder
3 Tbs garlic powder
6 Tbs tobasco sauce
3 Tbs cayenne pepper
3 Tbs Murphy's Oil Soap
2 Tbs rubbing alcohol
2 Tbs castor oil
Spray on trunks and woody branches of trees only

whosedog
04-25-2010, 10:09 AM
OP is like the city dweller who moves out to the country then complains about the roosters crowing,manure smells,deer eating her flowers etc.Whats up with this obsession with the perfectly manicured yard,put in astro turf if it bothers you that much.They are probably digging to bury acorns to eat later,I read somewhere that they hardly ever find them again that helps trees to grow.I like watching squirrels there are utube videos showing how clever and agile they are trying to get to squirrel proof feeders.I had one move into a birdhouse so I fixed the hole so he couldn't get back in,but he kept coming back even after we shot him with a paintball gun.Then it dawned on me he was a she and I took the roof off and found 2 baby squirrels inside,so I let her stay there,and they all lived happily forever.The End.

betmr
04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
So true!! Wanted to live in a tree lined neighborhood, then expected all the squirrels to move away.:laugh::laugh:

D A Shaw
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Check with your local and state laws before relocating squirrels. Here in California it is OK to kill them but against the law to relocate. Go figure.

wilbilt
09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Check with your local and state laws before relocating squirrels. Here in California it is OK to kill them but against the law to relocate. Go figure.

Good to know. I just had a lone ground squirrel show up about a week ago and he has been tearing up a bunch of plants in my yard. At first I thought it was a rabbit, but I saw the squirrel a couple of days ago.

Apparently he is on my neighbor's hit list, too. Tore up the vegetable garden, so his days are numbered.

Capemay Eagle
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
just enjoy them. they cant hurt your lawn that much. i live in minthill and have lots of trees and squirrels and i enjoy watching them, my dog likes to chase them, and my daughter thinks there funny.I agree here. Nothing you can do, they will just keep coming. If they are diging in your yard they are getting the acorns, so I always welcome that.

cgaengineer
09-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Around here they are so plentiful that you can just drive around on the roads and hit them. Name one animal besides a possum that will run directly at car tires.
Posted via Mobile Device

FRUSTRATED IN CHARLOTTE
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Just as a follow up I decided to feed them. In my backyard we have a few bird feeder and that every morning there are several squirrels sitting in the large bird feeder having breakfast. Once they're finished they leave.

So put a few bird feeders in my front yard where they were tearing up the lawn and flowers. It took them about a week to find the food but now they confine themselves to the bird feeders and leave the grass alone.

And yes, I do want a perfect lawn almost as much as I want a perfect golf game. Obviously both are wishful thinking.

nepatsfan
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM

For real? that is disgusting:confused:

dunk50
09-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

dunk50
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm with 93chevy. VERY tasty when prepared properly. You havbe got to tenderize it a little.
Posted via Mobile Device

BBOWL
09-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Unless they are getting into your house I wouldn't kill them. Rodent gnawing is a major cause of house fires. The drowning method just sounds cruel. The catch and release method sounds good to me.

wilbilt
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
For real? that is disgusting:confused:

They are considered a delicacy by some people. My inlaws used to eat the heck out of them. I don't eat rodents, but they always offered.

I would drive my FIL around the hills in the truck, and he would jump out and blast them with a 12GA. Only gray squirrels, he did not want the brown ground squirrels.

I often helped him clean them. it was like cleaning a cat...or a chihuahua. Urp.

To each his own, I guess. If I am ever starving, I know I can eat a squirrel, although I would have to be starving to consider it.

nepatsfan
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
They are considered a delicacy by some people. My inlaws used to eat the heck out of them. I don't eat rodents, but they always offered.

I would drive my FIL around the hills in the truck, and he would jump out and blast them with a 12GA. Only gray squirrels, he did not want the brown ground squirrels.

I often helped him clean them. it was like cleaning a cat...or a chihuahua. Urp.

To each his own, I guess. If I am ever starving, I know I can eat a squirrel, although I would have to be starving to consider it.

What the heck is left of the squirrel after you hit it with a 12 guage

'Baccerman
09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
SQUIRREL= rat in tree with bushy tail.
Guaronteed squirrel removal: Ruger 10-22, 3X9 Simmons scope, CCI stinger hollow points. Apply stingers liberally to squirrel.
People in these parts always ate squirrel , rabbit and possum in the old days.
My Grandpa killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits for food. Grandma cooked most of them in a stew, similar to chicken dumplings. Good eatin.
Possum was trapped in a "rabbit box" or cut down out of a tree after being treed by a "fice" dog. Kept in a cage for 3-4 weeks and fed table scraps to get the "game" out of them.Baked and served w/cornbread and green beans.
I admit eating squirrel and rabbit, but usually passed on the possum. To fatty for me.
Dont look down on us... people eat bait now and call it Sushi.

dunk50
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

dunk50
09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I really thought this was a joke. Of course we ate squirrel. I usen to sit in the woods all day with my .22 rifle. shoot half a dozen, clean them and we would eat good for couple of days. No different than any other game animal. Just have to known how to cleN and cook them. Rats with tails my azz. If your only eating beans and corn bread, squirrel is a great meal. Everyone did not grow up with a grocery store down the street!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I really thought this was a joke. Of course we ate squirrel. I usen to sit in the woods all day with my .22 rifle. shoot half a dozen, clean them and we would eat good for couple of days. No different than any other game animal. Just have to known how to cleN and cook them. Rats with tails my azz. If your only eating beans and corn bread, squirrel is a great meal. Everyone did not grow up with a grocery store down the street!!!!!!!!Posted via Mobile Device
glad I did

capelawncare.com
09-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Frustrated....If the Peanut butter dont work, you could sell guided huntin' expeditions in your back yard, to the big game hunters here on Lawnsite.

wilbilt
09-04-2010, 11:45 PM
What the heck is left of the squirrel after you hit it with a 12 guage

It depends on the range. In one case that I remember, four feet still gripping the tree were all that remained. That one was at close range.

In most cases, he was shooting from 30-60 feet with #6 shot.

corey4671
09-05-2010, 12:03 AM
ever watch Caddyshack? I know that was a groundhog but the same basic principles apply.

wilbilt
09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
ever watch Caddyshack? I know that was a groundhog but the same basic principles apply.

Gopher.

"...Say your prayers, gopher..."

LarryF
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Good to know. I just had a lone ground squirrel show up about a week ago and he has been tearing up a bunch of plants in my yard. At first I thought it was a rabbit, but I saw the squirrel a couple of days ago.

Apparently he is on my neighbor's hit list, too. Tore up the vegetable garden, so his days are numbered.

That's right. A squirrel's diet isn't confined to just acorns and peanuts, but why anyone would feed peanuts to these pests is beyond my comprehension. They will make a mess out of a vegetable garden, especially ripe tomatoes. That's the only vegetable I grow and it's pretty disappointing after waiting weeks for them to ripen to go out one morning to see that about a quarter of each red one has been eaten by squirrels. About the only defense I've been able to come up with is to harvest the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn slightly orange and then let them ripen inside. But of course I would prefer to let them ripen on the vine. In my yard, once they are bright red, the squirrels often get to them before I can. I've know people who have stretched chicken fencing around their plants to protect them from squirrels, but the tomatoes aren't important enough for me to go to that extreme.

TLS
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I have problems with them eating insulation off the inner hood panel and firewall of my truck. Also had one place a walnut on the turbocharger of my Wife's car a few years back. She complained people were burning leaves every day for a week about 5 miles from home on her way to work! Pop hood and a glowing ingot of walnut was smoldering on the turbo!

They also chew wire looms.

Decon mouse bait seems to work.

redlegs23
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Get a dog. Problem solved.

Mark Oomkes
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Was waiting for this. :drinkup:

Never had it, need to try it sometime.

Any recipes you recommend?

SQUIRREL= rat in tree with bushy tail.
Guaronteed squirrel removal: Ruger 10-22, 3X9 Simmons scope, CCI stinger hollow points. Apply stingers liberally to squirrel.
People in these parts always ate squirrel , rabbit and possum in the old days.
My Grandpa killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits for food. Grandma cooked most of them in a stew, similar to chicken dumplings. Good eatin.
Possum was trapped in a "rabbit box" or cut down out of a tree after being treed by a "fice" dog. Kept in a cage for 3-4 weeks and fed table scraps to get the "game" out of them.Baked and served w/cornbread and green beans.
I admit eating squirrel and rabbit, but usually passed on the possum. To fatty for me.
Dont look down on us... people eat bait now and call it Sushi.

LOL, don't the hollow points sort of ruin the meat?

If you really want to make sure they're dead, find the poly tip rounds. Grossed my wife out because half the squirrel ended up on the slider. :cool2:

Try a Gamo Whisper. Nice and quiet and won't damage the meat.

ksJoe
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Any recipes you recommend?

If grilled plain they're a bit gamey. I'm thinking next time I'll try them in chili.

nepatsfan
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
If grilled plain they're a bit gamey. I'm thinking next time I'll try them in chili.

Tell foxworthy, this will go well on the blue collar comedy tour. You might be a redneck if...:drinkup:

ksJoe
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, plain squirrel is a little redneckish. Kinda like "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" Or maybe that was gopher?

My 6 y/o son shot a squirrel a few months ago. It was his first shot fired while hunting. He isn't much of a meat eater, but he claimed to like eating his squirrel. I hadn't had one since I was a youngster hunting them. For some reason, it didn't taste quite as good as I remembered... Maybe they're best when you're young, and you shot it :drinkup:

And as for hollow points, out of a 22 I don't think it matters much. We were using 22 hollow points, and it just went right through. The 22 isn't flying fast enough to get explosive expansion. But a "varmint" bullet from a centerfire rifle could make him blow up.

Mark Oomkes
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, plain squirrel is a little redneckish. Kinda like "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" Or maybe that was gopher?

My 6 y/o son shot a squirrel a few months ago. It was his first shot fired while hunting. He isn't much of a meat eater, but he claimed to like eating his squirrel. I hadn't had one since I was a youngster hunting them. For some reason, it didn't taste quite as good as I remembered... Maybe they're best when you're young, and you shot it :drinkup:

And as for hollow points, out of a 22 I don't think it matters much. We were using 22 hollow points, and it just went right through. The 22 isn't flying fast enough to get explosive expansion. But a "varmint" bullet from a centerfire rifle could make him blow up.

You're right, I was thinking of my son's .22 which is a Win Mag, makes a little more of a mess than a .22 Long.

Have to try it someday.

ChiTownAmateur
09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
The truth is the squirrels battle each other for territory and will take over any area that has food available and doesn't have a population of squirrels already there

if you put out nuts and feed them that will not stop them from trying to bury food in your yard, which is what the digging is about. they bury and search, and forget where they put a lot of it

Dog is the very best squirrel deterrent. Sprays will keep them off newly seeded plots for a few weeks.

If you don't have the risk of pets getting hurt by poisons, the easiest way to get rid of a few without traps is to put out some nice salted nuts each day in the same place for a few days so that squirrels know where to look, one day there's some poison applied to the nuts put in the same place. the next day that guy isn't there anymore. someone else though will replace him, by next season at the latest.