PDA

View Full Version : Scag 52" wilcat or 52" turf tiger

TONTAGE
04-02-2010, 04:12 PM
if $$ were no object and you had to choose between a 52" wildcat 26 kawi liquid or a 52" Turf Tiger 27 HP air cooled kohler,which would you choose?forget about the weight as the turf tiger is about 100 pounds heavier.keep in mind 61" is too big for me.
thanks in advance

SouthSide Cutter
04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
I just like the horitzontal mtr better. But I have a vertical shaft 27 Kohler. It seems they are all going to air cooled and vertical shaft now. Alot less to worry about with the air cooled. And 26-27hp is overkill on a 52 in my book so power on either one is not a problem.

kjslawn
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Turf tiger handles much better

TONTAGE
04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
thanks for the replies

clean_cut
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Turf tiger handles much better

What's the difference in the handling? Hydros, size, deck?

djagusch
04-02-2010, 10:51 PM
What's the difference in the handling? Hydros, size, deck?

Lower center of gravity, with the tank below the seat.

kjslawn
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Lower center of gravity, with the tank below the seat.

Also longer wheel base helps alot too

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
For me, I would only lean toward the TT if it had a 61 inch deck. If a 52 is the largest you can use then a Wildcat would be my choice. Why, trim side on the deck. A 52in TT isn't going to have ANY trim capability with the narrow deck and wide rear wheel width. If using it to get closer to stuff isn't necessary then I'd get the TT for the hill holding capabilities and the cool looking tiger stripe rear fenders. :D I have a Tiger Cub with a 25 Kohler and the 61in deck. Trim is great with it but it's not real sure footed on hills, especially with worn rear tires.

tacoma200
04-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Yea, a 52" deck would not have much on the trim side with a Turf Tiger. Better go with the Wildcat unless you have very steep area's.

TONTAGE
04-03-2010, 08:07 AM
thanks guys for the replies.as far as the trim factor,are you saying that if i go with the turf tiger i will have to trim more cause i wont be able to get as close as if i went with a wildcat?
thanks again

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
For me, I would only lean toward the TT if it had a 61 inch deck. If a 52 is the largest you can use then a Wildcat would be my choice. Why, trim side on the deck. A 52in TT isn't going to have ANY trim capability with the narrow deck and wide rear wheel width. If using it to get closer to stuff isn't necessary then I'd get the TT for the hill holding capabilities and the cool looking tiger stripe rear fenders. :D I have a Tiger Cub with a 25 Kohler and the 61in deck. Trim is great with it but it's not real sure footed on hills, especially with worn rear tires.

thanks guys for the replies.as far as the trim factor,are you saying that if i go with the turf tiger i will have to trim more cause i wont be able to get as close as if i went with a wildcat?
thanks again

I'm positive that's what I'm saying. :)

What types of properties are you going to use the mower on? Knowing this would help lead you in the right direction. I'll say this, if the mower is going to be your primary mower then you'll be better off with the Wildcat.

brianslawncare
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
i would take the wild cat liquid cooled. liquid cooled engines last longer. unless you can get liquid cooled in the turf tiger.

TONTAGE
04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm positive that's what I'm saying. :)

What types of properties are you going to use the mower on? Knowing this would help lead you in the right direction. I'll say this, if the mower is going to be your primary mower then you'll be better off with the Wildcat.

it will be my primary mower.most properties are 1/2 acre a few 3/4 and 1 at least 1 acre.as far as hills?only 1 to be concerned with but i wouldnt take the zero turn on the part of the lawn that drops into a hill,i would take my 22" and do that part as its only a few passes.

MrRob
04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
no one has mentioned, but the TT has a much better hydro system. I have been on a few wildcats & the controls just feel sluggish.

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 09:52 AM
no one has mentioned, but the TT has a much better hydro system. I have been on a few wildcats & the controls just feel sluggish.

It's not "better" just larger.

MrRob
04-03-2010, 10:06 AM
It's not "better" just larger.

call it what you want, the smaller pump on the wildcat made it seem underpowered.