PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler system

wjwiii
06-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Hello - first time in this forum, and I have a question about a lawn sprinkler system. I had an inground system installed about 3 years ago (new construction site, sod installed after the sprinklers). Now that the ground has settled, several of the heads have sunk down 1"-2" below the ground surface, in some cases preventing full clearance to pulsate when the sprinklers are on.

Question: Do I need to dig out each head individually and re-set, or can I adjust the heads by trying to pull them up? My neighbor said if the ground is wet around the head, I can take a shovel and pry the head up a little bit. Sounds good, but sounds like a sure way to break it off (either above or below the surface). Appreciate any suggestion on the best way to go about this.

dwost
06-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm by no means an expert, however, I did have an irrigation system installed before we moved into our new house last year. Last summer the ground was quite moist and I too had some settling around the heads. What i did when the ground was soft was dig out around the head and just pull up by hand on the heads and push dirt around and under the head. I had to do this a couple of times to get it higher but it worked and I've had no issues since then. I then planted grass around to fill in the bare spots. I'd be careful using any type of tool as you may cause more damage than good. What kind of heads do you have? I have all Hunter heads and they come with an adjustment tool that allows you to pull up the head to work on it. This makes it easier to grab onto as well. Just my $.02, good luck.

wjwiii
06-26-2002, 08:05 AM
Thanks much. I basically came to the same conclusion about getting the ground wet/soft, then digging around and pulling them up. I have rainbird maxpaw heads. Sounds like the best solution!