PDA

View Full Version : Stihl KombiSystem

Razorblade2
04-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Is the Stihl KombiSystem as good as it looks? Are there any down sides as opposed to individual machines? Also wondering, Stright or curved shaft edger? My Stihl dealer says stright shaft all the way, but I know I've heard alot of people say go curved shaft. Any thoughts?

1whitetail
04-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I have an fs 85 kombi and have never had any problems with it other than replacing the primer bulb and general maintenance. They are great and can save you a ton of money. The only down side that I see is if you have engine problems than you are completely down unless you have a back up power unit. As for the edger I have the curved shaft and have never had any problems with it. The straight shaft edger cost around double and is only needed in my opinion if you are going to be edging a lot of overgrown edges.

freshprince94
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a KM 90 R with the hedge trimmer head. I used to have the straight shaft edger but sold it. The powerhead runs fine, as good as any other Stihl engine and changing the attachments is easy enough. I would hate changing them out multiple times on each lawn, so I stick with dedicated units and have the Kombi as a backup.

I used to run the straight shaft edger and HATED it. It left a very bad edge, grass was always hanging over and it looked like I hadn't even edged at all. I switched to a curved shaft Stihl edger and I love it, it leaves a perfect edge. I do a lot of edging so it has to look perfect.

yardguy28
04-02-2010, 07:44 PM
i have the 85 and last season i had to replace the carb. today was the first day i used it since the carb was replaced and it's running a little funny. runs great except at idle. it dies after like 2 min. of leaving it idle. can anyone tell me what the problem could be? i'm thinking some minor adjustment?

anyway i think it's a great machine. i use it with the pruner attachment and the straight shaft edger. it does great at maintaining edges on a weekly basis. i don't like the curved shaft, it's a little aqward for me. when i bought it, it came with the trimmer attachment so it will serve as my backup trimmer should i ever need one.

the only down side i can think of (and thats only if it's true) is that they say units that have attachments aren't as good as a dedicated unit. the sometimes lack the power and quality needed. but i've never had any problems with mine.

mowerbrad
04-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Just saw a TV commercial about these kombi's as I'm writing this....

The main difference between the straight and curved shaft edgers (other than the shaft) is the speed the blade turns. The straight shaft will turn slower than the curved shaft blade. So the curved shaft will give you a more "crisp" cut since its turning faster. But the straight shaft edger will give you more torque to power through thick, overgrown edges, while still giving you a fairly clean cut. If you maintain edges weekly, then the curved should do fine, but if you only edge a couple times a year, then the straight shaft would probably suit you better.

I like my KM110R. I've got the hedge trimmer, string trimmer and straight shaft edger for mine. The string trimmer and edger are new for this year, I've only tried the edger out of the two. And the edger did just fine, the edge was very clean....I can't compare it to a curved shaft however since I have never used one.

iluvpizza
04-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I have the FS 85 as well and it works great. I've had mine for 5 years now the only problem was with the spring in the pull start. I have the chainsaw, hedge trimmer, line trimmer, and paddle broom.

yardguy28
04-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Just saw a TV commercial about these kombi's as I'm writing this....

The main difference between the straight and curved shaft edgers (other than the shaft) is the speed the blade turns. The straight shaft will turn slower than the curved shaft blade. So the curved shaft will give you a more "crisp" cut since its turning faster. But the straight shaft edger will give you more torque to power through thick, overgrown edges, while still giving you a fairly clean cut. If you maintain edges weekly, then the curved should do fine, but if you only edge a couple times a year, then the straight shaft would probably suit you better.

I like my KM110R. I've got the hedge trimmer, string trimmer and straight shaft edger for mine. The string trimmer and edger are new for this year, I've only tried the edger out of the two. And the edger did just fine, the edge was very clean....I can't compare it to a curved shaft however since I have never used one.

i see what your saying about the speed vs. torque but i find that my straight shaft edger does an excellent job maintaining edges on a weekly basis. purhaps it is the type of grass we are edging??? don't think that would make a difference but the edges are very sharp and "crisp".

FLAhaulboy
04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I bought the home owners version of the Kombi last summer, ran the saw & both of the hedger attachments & the blower & have yet to have any problems with it. I just bought the 130 kombi with the tiller attachment this week.

Razorblade2
04-03-2010, 05:47 PM
That tiller attachment looks awesome!

AOD
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd love me a Kombi system, it's the only powerhead and attachment system that is truly heavy duty. I am still running a hodgepodge of Poulan/Troybilt junk. It gets the job done but at a high PITA factor.

Think Green
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I use the common attachments such as the 12 inch saw, the straight edger, the line trimmer, the short hedge trimmer and the articulating.
I run these units on the non-dedicated KM90R and KM110R. Don't have any complaints at all.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
ive been told that the curve edger is prone to brake easyer...dunno why?

Razorblade2
04-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, I just bought the KM 130 Kombi Motor and the curved shaft edger. I used it today and it rocked it out! I did notice the lack of torque in the curved shaft, I will need to get something different for new edges, I think I might just go with a walk behind though, what do you guys think, streight shaft edger or walk behind for new edges?

yardguy28
04-09-2010, 10:30 PM
i'd say walkbehind for new edges. it does depend on what type of new edges your doing though.

if your doing the kind that are overgrown on the sidewalk walkbehind is the way to go. but if your doing the kind where the grass is just at the sidewalk but there is no real edge you would be fine with a straight shaft stick edger.

i use a straight shaft for my weekly maintenance of edges and a walkbehind for new edges that are overgrown on the sidewalk. i can cut new edges with the straight shaft if they aren't overgrown onto the sidewalk.

Razorblade2
04-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok, I just got a Stihl curved shaft for maintenance, I think I will go with the walk behind for new edges. I did a really rough new edge today that had soil and grass on the pavement, it was a little rough with Stihl 130 Kombi curved shaft edger. ;) Alot of people on here said to go with the curved shaft for maintenance because of the blade tip speed, it makes a cleaner edge than the slower torquier straight shaft.

yardguy28
04-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Ok, I just got a Stihl curved shaft for maintenance, I think I will go with the walk behind for new edges. I did a really rough new edge today that had soil and grass on the pavement, it was a little rough with Stihl 130 Kombi curved shaft edger. ;) Alot of people on here said to go with the curved shaft for maintenance because of the blade tip speed, it makes a cleaner edge than the slower torquier straight shaft.

yeah i read that too.....

i don't completely share that opinion. i think the straight shaft maintains an excellent edge. i don't see it getting any sharper than straight shaft. not to mention i've ran a curved shaft and i prefer the straight shaft, not only for comfort of using it but performance as well.

i agree it makes sense the curved shaft would do better because of blade speed but i just don't see it with my own 2 eyes.

to each there own though.........

Razorblade2
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, thats what I have now, lol, it was also about $80 cheaper than the straight shaft, so probably the better buy for me right now. The cool thing about the Kombi is that if I change my mind down the road I can get a straight shaft for $179.95. :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-09-2010, 11:43 PM
That tiller attachment looks awesome!

I have the rototiller for my KM90. It works real nice on small gardens that have good tilth. If you take it in rock hard clay soil, it wont dig nearly as well. Also, don't even think about tilling a large area, you will wear yourself out.

My main complaints with the KM90

1) Too heavy, esp. for ordinary string trimming. I prefer my hdwe store Weed Eater.
2) The autocut trimmer head is not that good. Hard to load string. Also, if you tip the trimmer on the side to edge, the string will push right back up into the trimmer head, forcing you to shut down and restring.

yardguy28
04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I have the rototiller for my KM90. It works real nice on small gardens that have good tilth. If you take it in rock hard clay soil, it wont dig nearly as well. Also, don't even think about tilling a large area, you will wear yourself out.

My main complaints with the KM90

1) Too heavy, esp. for ordinary string trimming. I prefer my hdwe store Weed Eater.
2) The autocut trimmer head is not that good. Hard to load string. Also, if you tip the trimmer on the side to edge, the string will push right back up into the trimmer head, forcing you to shut down and restring.

you already have the KM90 motor why not get the edger attachment and do a real nice professional job instead of fussing with the trimmer for edging, especially since it doesn't do that nice of a job and wastes a lot of line.

Trevor8
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I have the edger and the weed eater on a km 55 and it works great. I wouldn't buy anything else

yardguy28
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
you really should invest in a trimmer.....

it'll save you time which makes you money. in the time it takes you to switch from the trimmer attachment to edger or vise versa i can put my stick edger away and get out the trimmer and be trimming.

i have a stihl trimmer and the KM85 is used as the stick edger and my shrub pruner. i also have the straight shaft trimmer attachment. its my back up trimmer should something happen to mine. and i've used it a few times on larger jobs that i have help with me.

BINKY1902
04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I have to admit I hate me Stihl Combi. I have the 110 professional power head, with the straight trimmer and curved edger. I can't even get the attatchment to pop in half of the time. I am not impressed with the 350 dollar powerhead either. My old Ryobi multi-attatch actually changes in and out much better. For some reason the dang powerhead is hard to crank. Did I mention I bought it three weeks ago. I just always grab my echo trimmer, it cranks better and has much less vibration. If I have to edge, I grab the Stihl cause it's the only edger I have. I wish I wouldn't have fell for the Stihl and stuck with echo. The stihl also burns twice as much gas as the echo. It's sad that I like my three-year old $250 echo better than my $450 three-week old Stihl(350 powerhead+100 trimmer attach).

Mowbizz
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I have the biggie...the 130 power head with the tiller, curved edger, trimmer (for backup only as I have a dedicated Stihl trimmer), both the bristle brush and the rubber paddle brush attachments.
I cannot begin to estimate the hours and labor saved by this system...granted, I am solo and do not abuse my equipment (no punk kids running/breaking my stuff;o)
Very Heavy duty...zero problems...next purchase will probably be a hedge trimmer attachment.

yardguy28
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I have to admit I hate me Stihl Combi. I have the 110 professional power head, with the straight trimmer and curved edger. I can't even get the attatchment to pop in half of the time. I am not impressed with the 350 dollar powerhead either. My old Ryobi multi-attatch actually changes in and out much better. For some reason the dang powerhead is hard to crank. Did I mention I bought it three weeks ago. I just always grab my echo trimmer, it cranks better and has much less vibration. If I have to edge, I grab the Stihl cause it's the only edger I have. I wish I wouldn't have fell for the Stihl and stuck with echo. The stihl also burns twice as much gas as the echo. It's sad that I like my three-year old $250 echo better than my $450 three-week old Stihl(350 powerhead+100 trimmer attach).

yes it is sad you like your echo better since stihl is a better choice :rolleyes:

i had a ryobi split shaft before i purchased the kombi. i love the kombi. the attachments connect way more solid than the ryobi. i don't find any trouble removing the attachments and attaching them. i had a trimmer and edger for the ryobi and thats what i have for the kombi.

definitly a quality tool IMO.......