PDA

View Full Version : pull behind aerators

thom
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
any opinions on the pull behind aerators.I am looking at one similar to an agri-fab plug aerator.

Richard Martin
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I have on like that now. In fact, that's what it is. Mine is a Brinly 40". I believe they're all made in the same factory but with different stickers. I had a Craftsman before this one that I left behind in MD when I moved. It was identical to the Brinly I have now. I've seen the Agri-Fabs and they're the same also.

They're okay but not built for any kind of regular use. I use mine on a few lawns and it's holds up okay. For more than just a couple/few lawns I'd go with one of the commercial aerators. I'm looking to buy a BlueBird this year.

GreenmanCT
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
id love to find a nice pull behind aerator thats reasonably priced...i was out aerating lawns all day with a walk behind and im beat to hell right now. woulda been so much nicer to have made that money without workin so damm hard.

TJLANDS
04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
We use a husqvarna 48" tow behind behind a mower very quick, about 1200 new.
And very reliable for years of heavy use

thom
04-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I have on like that now. In fact, that's what it is. Mine is a Brinly 40". I believe they're all made in the same factory but with different stickers. I had a Craftsman before this one that I left behind in MD when I moved. It was identical to the Brinly I have now. I've seen the Agri-Fabs and they're the same also.

They're okay but not built for any kind of regular use. I use mine on a few lawns and it's holds up okay. For more than just a couple/few lawns I'd go with one of the commercial aerators. I'm looking to buy a BlueBird this year.

the one I am looking at is made by swisher.

topsites
04-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, the tow-behind units just don't do that good of a job, believe me when I say I think that is very unfortunate lol
But hook one up to the back of my Z and offer "free aeration with a mow" :p

Which...

That might actually not be too bad an idea, the only problem is cost recovery in terms
of upkeep on that POS tow-behind unit but I could see doing it for drumming up some work.

Even if the quality of the aeration is nowhere near that of a walk-behind unit it's still worth it in terms of a freebie.

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, the tow-behind units just don't do that good of a job, believe me when I say I think that is very unfortunate lol
But hook one up to the back of my Z and offer "free aeration with a mow" :p

Which...

That might actually not be too bad an idea, the only problem is cost recovery in terms
of upkeep on that POS tow-behind unit but I could see doing it for drumming up some work.

Even if the quality of the aeration is nowhere near that of a walk-behind unit it's still worth it in terms of a freebie.

You're crazy. A town behind aerator will pull a plug just as good as a walk behind. and you want to give it away? :hammerhead:

Lawn Pawn
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
See my post about this.

Since then it has proved itself many times over.
Did a property that had clay harder than a *****'s heart.
Tossed in about another 60#s..... no problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=308700

thom
04-03-2010, 01:08 AM
See my post about this.

Since then it has proved itself many times over.
Did a property that had clay harder than a *****'s heart.
Tossed in about another 60#s..... no problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=308700

whats the diameter of the inside measurment of the spoons on that wiko?

topsites
04-03-2010, 01:20 AM
You spend those $100's on any tow-behind any of you want,
and without even trying I will get every last customer you gain.

Folks...
How many customers see the fool?
Is it the guy who spent 4 grand on a walk-behind unit swearing up and down that his way is better...
And when the customer asks questions he shows them details and specifications that they can look up themselves!
Information that can be verified, even telling them how, and where to go look the stuff up, inviting them to call the
dealer and ask the dealer these very same questions, would the dealer back me up, I didn't buy the unit from a dealer!
But yet he would!
And compare the answers and that if I lied they are free to forget payment and never call me again!

This guy who ends up being hired and is working his tail off for the same money as the guy who spent however
many hundred and tells a good story but is riding around the yard sitting on his butt?
Which one is the fool?

You better be sure because I don't care, the customers do.

Every year, same story.

Richard Martin
04-03-2010, 05:43 AM
We use a husqvarna 48" tow behind behind a mower very quick, about 1200 new.
And very reliable for years of heavy use

Yeah, that is the Bluebird aerator. Husky bought out Bluebird a while back.

Richard Martin
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
You can get the Bluebird TA-12 aerator, which is a commercial unit, delivered to your door for $1195.00 including shipping. This is easily the best deal on a commercial quality aerator.

http://www.alamia.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BLU%2DTA%2D12&e=Y

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 08:52 AM
You spend those $100's on any tow-behind any of you want,
and without even trying I will get every last customer you gain.

Folks...
How many customers see the fool?
Is it the guy who spent 4 grand on a walk-behind unit swearing up and down that his way is better...
And when the customer asks questions he shows them details and specifications that they can look up themselves!
Information that can be verified, even telling them how, and where to go look the stuff up, inviting them to call the
dealer and ask the dealer these very same questions, would the dealer back me up, I didn't buy the unit from a dealer!
But yet he would!
And compare the answers and that if I lied they are free to forget payment and never call me again!

This guy who ends up being hired and is working his tail off for the same money as the guy who spent however
many hundred and tells a good story but is riding around the yard sitting on his butt?
Which one is the fool?

You better be sure because I don't care, the customers do.

Every year, same story.

You don't have a clue. Crawl back in your hole.

Lawn Pawn
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
...whats the diameter of the inside measurment of the spoons on that wiko?...

I would call it 1/2 or 5/8 ?

Thought it was in there info, but cannot find it.

dishboy
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Aerating plugs make dull blades real fast, aerating is not necessary if you use organic fertilizers. Benefits of aerating are short lived, at best 30 days. Selling aerating benefits the lawnboys bank account, if you want to improve the turf sell organic fertilizers and mulch or leave the clippings.

LawnGuy73
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
any opinions on the pull behind aerators.I am looking at one similar to an agri-fab plug aerator.

Agri-Fab sucks. Light duty construction, and not heavy enought to do a good job.

Lawn Pawn
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Aerating plugs make dull blades real fast, aerating is not necessary if you use organic fertilizers. Benefits of aerating are short lived, at best 30 days. Selling aerating benefits the lawnboys bank account, if you want to improve the turf sell organic fertilizers and mulch or leave the clippings.

Honestly..... I would not be pushing aeration if I thought this was true.

Even the, have nothing to sell you government type websites say it is a good practice.

Other comments / opinions welcome.

thom
04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
...whats the diameter of the inside measurment of the spoons on that wiko?...

I would call it 1/2 or 5/8 ?

Thought it was in there info, but cannot find it.

thanks,its hard to "see"a measurement from a photo.

dishboy
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Honestly..... I would not be pushing aeration if I thought this was true.

Even the, have nothing to sell you government type websites say it is a good practice.

Other comments / opinions welcome.

If a band aid is a "good practice." keep applying it , does it resolve the problem ? No. Aerating opens things up for a small time frame at a insufficient depth to really aid root growth. If you are happy with roots @ 2.5" rock on. Personally I am looking for 8+".