PDA

View Full Version : need help with pruning tools(cleaning)

Florida Gardener
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
My loppers are stored in my truck box and they rust no matter what. I use Naval Jelly which takes it off but they end up rusting again....

Also, my felco snips have stopped being "springy" meaning when you make a cut they don't by themselves go back into the open position, they stick a little bit. I sprayed WD-40 which helped, but not much....

any thoughts guys?? Thanks in advance

JMiller08
04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Try some fluid film for the loppers. As far as the sips ya got me on that one.

Dano50
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) will certainly protect your tools. The best way to apply is to spray on a rag and rub in the metal.

If any member hasn't tried the product and lives in the US, just PM your name and address for a free sample can.

rlitman
04-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Also, my felco snips have stopped being "springy" meaning when you make a cut they don't by themselves go back into the open position, they stick a little bit. I sprayed WD-40 which helped, but not much....

Are they getting stuck in the same position. Could be a burr on the edge.
Could be too tight. Could be your spring is too weak, or your spring got sticky with goo.
Replacement springs are usually under $2. Just look around.
Otherwise, try cleaning with a solvent (like hedge trimmer resin remover), to get any stickiness out, re-lube (I like silicone lube), and re-adjust the tightness.